PDA

View Full Version : Rear swaybar arms facing rearward?

MCMLXIX
09-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Is there any reason NOT to have arms off a swaybar that is attatched to the rear axle to extend rearward and attatch to the frame.
All the others I have seen face forward...

GetMore
09-18-2009, 03:37 AM
When they face forward they pivot with the axle, keeping closer to the same arc as the rear itself.
I don't think it's all that important, as long as the links have enough range.

Hidro
09-18-2009, 03:57 AM
The HO-Racing rear swaybar I have is attached to rear and extend rearward to frame.

The only problem is less room for exhaust pipes/tail pipes.

driftinblzr
09-18-2009, 04:12 AM
I believe that 4Dr S10 Blazers have rearward facing bars but my 2Dr Blazer has a forward facing bar.

As long as the end links give you the required articulation I don't see why it wouldn't be a problem.

Later, Doug

The Stickman
09-18-2009, 09:46 PM
When I ran My S-10 with a hellwig bar it faced rear and worked great once I re-engineered how it fastened to the frame.

MCMLXIX
09-18-2009, 10:35 PM
When I ran My S-10 with a hellwig bar it faced rear and worked great once I re-engineered how it fastened to the frame.

Care to elaborate on the modifications?
Have an pics floating around?

I am going to try and use a splined bar with arms. It will all be from scratch so if you had something that worked well, let me know...

The Stickman
09-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Care to elaborate on the modifications?
Have an pics floating around?

I am going to try and use a splined bar with arms. It will all be from scratch so if you had something that worked well, let me know...

Sorry I never took pics. That was a very long time ago. But here is the deal. Hellwig had a kit that included a rear facing bar, what they called a Z bar which was just that a piece of flat stock that was bent in the shape of a Z. Then they had the endlinks that would be between the bar and Z bracket. BUT the pieces that bolted from the Z bracket to the frame were what they called "pinch brackets" that were simply 2 pieces of flat stock(one with a slight curve at the end) that would "pinch" the frameThey bolted to the Z brackets and were meant to "Pinch" the frame. Yea right. One side or the other would pull off. So what I did was to get rid of the "pinch" brackets and to bolt the Z bracket directly to the frame. But I noticed there was some flex in the frame rail so I took a piece of steel channel that fit inside the frame rail and bolted it inside of the frame rail then bolted the Z bracket to that and the frame. It worked like a charm. BTW I think(vaguely remember) that the swaybar bolted to the top of the rearend housing, but I could be wrong.

Dave@Hellwig
09-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Pinch plates are long gone from the S10 kit. We have re-designed many of our older kits in order to update them and improve their performance. Running the arms forward or rear doesn't make a lot of difference. Most of the time they are routed to where they fit best. The key is getting the system balaced so that it performs well. A lot of the pickup applications have the fuel tank on the driver's side in front of the axle which restricts what you can do if the arms are run forward so in those cases the arms go rearward. On an A-body, there isn't much reason to extend the arms rearward as you have a fuel tank and exhaust pipes to deal with.

MCMLXIX - If you're looking for something for your chevelle, we have a new adjustable pro-touring bar in the works for the GM A-body that should be ready to go in a month. We are running the arms forward to connect with the crossmember as that configuration gives the most clearance to exhaust and other component.

MCMLXIX
09-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Pinch plates are long gone from the S10 kit. We have re-designed many of our older kits in order to update them and improve their performance. Running the arms forward or rear doesn't make a lot of difference. Most of the time they are routed to where they fit best. The key is getting the system balaced so that it performs well. A lot of the pickup applications have the fuel tank on the driver's side in front of the axle which restricts what you can do if the arms are run forward so in those cases the arms go rearward. On an A-body, there isn't much reason to extend the arms rearward as you have a fuel tank and exhaust pipes to deal with.

MCMLXIX - If you're looking for something for your chevelle, we have a new adjustable pro-touring bar in the works for the GM A-body that should be ready to go in a month. We are running the arms forward to connect with the crossmember as that configuration gives the most clearance to exhaust and other component.

I had the factory coil perches removed and will be running true coil-over shocks. My mounts will be inboard of the LCA mounts and will be running a splined bar. I actually came up with a better way to mount the coil-overs so I can mount a pillow block on the back of the bracket, facing the arms forward... I guess I needed to walk away and look at it another day to figure out a better solution... My plan is to have the end links attatch to the same crossmember you are talking about...