PDA

View Full Version : Project Lime Time Camaro

customshop
09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
I just wanted to share our Sema Project car for this year. Some of you might remeber the Pace maker 67 RS we built last year. This year it is a 1968 Camaro barn find. I picked up cheap but it is ROUGH!! We will be doing a Budget build up but still with alot of good performance and handling. We got a LQ9 and trans from a 05 Cadillac, Bowler performance trans did a 2wd conversion on our 4L65E, We are using Kwik Product pulley assemble, Weiand LS1 intake swap for hood clearance, Hooker LS swap Headers, Spectra fuel tank with Built in pump, Firestone Ride Rite air ride suspensio, 4 link, Speed Tech control arms, We are replacing alot of the rough rusted sheet metal with Dynacorn steel and Spectra steel parts, it will be getting a set of 18" and 19" TSW Throttle wheels and BFGoodrich tires.
We just started on the car on Monday so we have alot of work to do in only about 6 weeks. I will try and post some pics. as we go along. I hope you like the rendering. we will see how close we get.....

WS6
09-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I like the bright green. That's going to turn some heads. Good luck getting it done in six weeks.

awr68
09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Best of luck! But damn that's not a lot of time!!
BTW, I like the rendering!!

K5Cruiser
09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Interested to see how those fenders turn out. Ambitious project given the timeline, good luck!

wellis77
09-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I like the rendering. Good luck on the build, I'm looking forward to seeing it as it goes along.

tones2SS
09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
WOW!!! That's going to be tight on time.
GOOD LUCK!

nvr2fst
09-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Fender mod should look killer. The front end looks like its a 69. Are you grafting 1yr into another? Shades of green seem to be the theme lately,
and Im all for that.

69TAPoser
09-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Very cool color. The rear qtr also seems like a '69 too???

Phil

Motown 454
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Nice rendering, keep us updated.

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

customshop
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Well here's the first pics of the project, as you can see I have my work cut out. Or I guess I mean I have alot to cut out. LOL patched in the floors, new rockers and working on qtrs and outer inner finders. Hope to have the rest of the new sheet metal soon.
it is a 68 car I first started the rendering with a 69 in mind so some of the desing was 69 based but it will be a true 68. thanks for the Kind words !

customshop
09-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I took the Pace Maker Camaro to GoodGuys in Joliet this weekend. it was a good show I think 1600 cars or so. Won Might Muscle pick of the show. Pretty cool. Enjoy watching the auto cross. Mybee someday I will give it a try.... back to work on the New Lime Time project now.

customshop
10-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Well We are getting closer. we got the new floor pan installed, trunk floor installed, then all POR 15 coated and chassis black coated, Dynamat installed, Firewall and dash all painted Charcoal grey amd satin clear coated, the doors and fenders from Dynacorn on. We will be starting body work tomorrow.
6.0 l motor got the Weiand intake and LS1 injectors and fuel rails installed, ls1 water pump installed, motor and Trans painted Lime green. We hope to install the Kwik perf. pulley brackets and accessories tomorrow also. I will update more soon.
You can see last years build at www.customshop.org (http://www.customshop.org) under pace maker.

KnightMare
10-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Making some great progress. subscribed

customshop
10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Well we are still hard at it. Got the sheet metal all hung and body work done. . . . I started paint last night. got a bunch of the stuff sprayed, and the body jambed out. Also installed the 4-link, and tried the TSW wheels for the first fitment. looks like the measurements came out just as planned. 275/35/19 BFGoorich tires will fit nicely, No mini tubs either!!
Hope to set the motor in SOON. only days left.
better get back to work. later J

SLAMDIMPALA
10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
John, whats the color that your spraying on the car? The rendering says lime time but it looks more like a pastel green than lime time. Maybe its just my computer making the color look like that. But besides that the car looks good.

mikey
10-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I think sunglasses might be in order for viewing this in bright lights:smoke: I can't wait to see it finished.

1badchevelle
10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Nice good luck on the build.....

msgnfg
10-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Man, I wish I could move that fast on my project - nice work!

customshop
10-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks. Glad you are liking it so far. It is the 2001 Lamborghini green color. I am adding a Flipflop pearl tricoat over top so it should look pretty sweet.. I sprayed the bottom of the hood and inner fender and the rad support today they are all the Charcoal grey with a satin clear coat.
I had to paint my little girls bicycle helmet today also. Bright pink and purple. I got to keep her happy to. LOL

dropit69
10-11-2009, 10:09 AM
looking killer..i need to get down that way to check it out before sema ..im not to far from ya..awesome work ya do..

Jake616
10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Can't wait to see this complete John! I grew up in Pontiac most my life watching your many different builds! Keep up the good work!

customshop
10-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks I will post some more pics tomorrow. I only have about 18 days left so it will be tight. I also have a Cadillac Escalade project to finish in the same time frame. Later

customshop
10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Today went well. installed the Firestone air bags. upper and lower control arms, new spindles. installed the front and rear Disc brake kit... new ball joint,bearings, tierods, ect.
also got the Painless Performance wire harness laid out. this is a complete body and engine harness for the LS1 motor and 4L65E trans.and all of the body wires as well. it is a pretty cool idea seem to be laying out nicely. mounted the fuse panel underthe dash. In stalled the Lokar black shifter on the trans and the pedal inside. need to locate the shifter and cut a hole in the floor next.
I figured I better take a few pics of me doing the work I didn't want you to think I had a Magic stick or something. LOL I'll keep you posted.

customshop
10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Well the Motor got drop in today. Yea Ha. The Hooker LS1 Motor mount and headers fit great. you can see in the pics there is a good amount of clearance all over. I got the Firestone Compressor installed in the trunk, and the rear deck covered in caron fiber mat. the Sony 6 1/2" sep. and tweeters mounted and wired up. working on the trans mount tomorrow and wiring motor.

Jake616
10-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Sweet! Coming along quick! :)

1968CamaroSS_Sam
10-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Wow, that is cool. I see you went to length to color code the tape you use for the build too. :lmao: Looking great

customshop
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I just finished Painting the Lime Time Camaro.
Lamborghini Green base, with chacoal stripes, added some pinstripes around the strips, then Pearl flip flop tricoat over everything. added a little airbrushed fender vent just to spice it up. Finished it up with 4 coats of Clear coat. all done in PPG products. I used a Orange pinstripe color. the first up close pics really show off what the coor looks like. the other pics faded out whenI took the pic. Hope you all like it. It will take a little buffing tomorrow then finish putting it together.

I also got the Kwik Performance accessory brackets installed befor I took it into the booth. These are really nice bracket for anyone looking install was a breeze. as easy as a stock setup. I will add a coupe pics of that tomorrow.

BIGX69
10-18-2009, 09:22 AM
awesome color's:machine:

customshop
10-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Here is the first pics with the Car on the ground with the TSW wheels and BFG tires. The detail pics show off the Pearl I used it really make the Green sharp, it has a blue,green yellow red flip to it.
Covered the dash with Carbon fiber mat today. Installed the sub box with a pair of SONY subs and a Sony Amplifier, in the trunk.Kinetik battery in the trunk. Mounted the rear spoiler. more tomorrow.

camaro2nv
10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Sunlight pics needed!!!:yum:

L & H Kustoms
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Sunlight pics needed!!!:yum:

X2 :twothumbs

LeighP
10-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Wow!

SDS MACHINING
10-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Love the front fender detail,, very nicely done...:twothumbs

WILWAXU
10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Project KeyLime :D

customshop
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
We have the trunk almost finish, 2 Sony 10" subs, and Sony amp, NOS bottle, compressor from Firestone, Carbon fiber covered panels. Tail light installed, headlights installed all wiring done to them, adding driving lights where the hole in the grill are. Turn signals are in the headlights. brake boost installed, running brake line Classic tubing stainless steel, now and the fuel line is from Tube Tech. rad. hoses are on and the Classic auto air kit is finished up as well.
The Kwik Performance brackets fit perfect. I used the Corvette version so it gave me a little more room betwen the engine and rad. Radiator is from Mark 7 radiators. they made it to specs I asked for and bolted right up. They even offer black anodizing but I did not have time to wait the extra 2 weeks. Spal dual 11" fans are installed and wired to the painless harness, I did have to get a Speartech 4l60e to 4l80e conversion wire kit. Lokar shifter is installed, with the boot having the indicator on it. i used all of the Midnight series so the pedals and the shifter plate are Black anodized, look sweet.
got all of the Steel Rubber seals installed.
7 days till we leave!!! it gonna be close but we should make it.

wellis77
10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Looking real good. What kind of headlights are those and what are you using for driving lights?

customshop
10-23-2009, 02:40 PM
The headlight are black out lights from APC and the driving light are called 6 shooter from apc as well. they took a small amount of trimming to get them to fit but the headlight have the turn sgnal inside them so I was able to use the turn signal hole for the drving lights. I got the Magna flow stainless exhaust on today, Finished the Tube Teck stainless fuel lines, finished the Classic tubing stainless brake lines. Installed the ecm today. I hope to install the other Kinetik battery in the front and work on the Power steering lines and res. tonight after supper. Mabee fire it up Tomorrow. I hope!!!!

dropit69
10-23-2009, 05:17 PM
looking killer ..but with all the rain here lately dont think you will get to drive it any time soon ..not around IL that is..lol..can't wait to see it finished Killer work !!

wellis77
10-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info on the lights. I'm thinking of doing something very similar. I can't find anything on these lights though, might you have a link to them somewhere? Thanks.

customshop
10-24-2009, 08:35 PM
We got the car fired up to night. Sound and runs great. I have a few minor vacum line issues but started n the first crank Sweet!!!
I installed the Spal TV / Rear view mirror, Sony in dash DVD player, the 2nd Kinetik battery in the front, AirAid intake and filter, tested the headlight and tail lights, Digital Dakota gauges are working still need to program but all lite up and lookin cool.
rad. over flow and the Scosche wire. Notice the C5 corvette side marker light.
I will see if I can find more info on the headlight. I got them over a year ago for another project and liked them so I ordered a few more sets. so these are from my inventory. I will see what I can find.
I am sitting down and having a screwdriver drink with the Wife I will try and get more done tomorrow. only a few days left.

customshop
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Here are the first pics of it sitting on the ground. Hope for a test drive tomorrow. if the weather holds out. got the coil cover on AirAid intake filter, UnderCover Innovations made the header cover panel for us. Fits like a glove. also the black fender braces as well. Grant steering wheel installed, Petrol wheels made by TSW. BFGoodrich KDW2 tires. still need a little tire shine to get the dust off them. Used Lokar shifter and boot with the digital read out for the indicator, I also used there pedals in Black as well. Just finished doing the window tint. Just a lite 20% smoked tint. Later

dropit69
10-26-2009, 09:34 PM
man that came out really sweet ..nice job on it ..have a good time in vegas !!

wellis77
10-27-2009, 03:15 AM
I agree with Darren. This build is great. I really like how your fender mods came out. Great job.

EvilCamaro
10-27-2009, 06:37 PM
Looking awesome!

customshop
10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Hello I wanted to share the full build on the Lime Time camaro. I did a rendering and then found a 1968 camaro RS, Got a Cadillac 6.0 liter LQ9 motor and a 4L80E trans, Replaced a TON of rusty sheet metal, did the Engine swap, hooker Headers and Magna Flow exhuast, NOS system for an extra 150 hp., LS1 Weiand intake, Spectra Premium FI fuel tank, Stainless Lines, mild custom int. and a Sony audio / Video system, 4 link rear end, Firestone air bag susp., 4 wheel disc brakes, 18 and 19 Petrol Wheels, BFGoodrich tires, Custom PPG green pearl paint with Charcoal pearl stripes, took its first drive today run like a champ, a few Minor things to finish up and polish up then its off to SEMA on friday morning. We did this complete built in 6 weeks and 4 days. We hope to see you at the shows.
Thanks John Wargo and the crew at The Custom Shop

Motown 454
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Looks great.

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
a sick looking car.. just to me the wheels kinda let down how good everything else is..

a set of nice Rushforth X rated in gunmetal grey center and lime green lips...

DONE!

KnightMare
10-31-2009, 08:35 PM
a sick looking car.. just to me the wheels kinda let down how good everything else is..

a set of nice Rushforth X rated in gunmetal grey center and lime green lips...

DONE!

I agree as well. Great looking car it's just the wheels that throws the look off a lil

meenaggie
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
I like the Airraid intake and filter, clean and simple. I need something similar for a LS2 going in my 68 camaro. Does it use a stock style MAF or can you use GM performance insertion type? Can you please share a part number?

oestek
11-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Here's a look at the Camaro at SEMA...

JRKM-Fn-S5I

talbotdd
11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I really like the wheels. Are they a BMW wheel? What offset are you running front and rear to get them to tuck like that?

-Dustin

Motown 454
11-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Nice job guys that is sweet!

customshop
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
We are back from SEMA. had a great show lots of really cool stuff as always. The show was smaller then last year by alot. Still plenty of bad rides.
We got the Lime Time camaro places by the Car Crazy stage so a good spot at the show. Then sat morning after sema Took it to the salt flats and got a Photo shoot for Muscle Car Power magazine. Prett sweet.
Rims are Petrol wheels by TSW named Throttle.
they are for the BMW you are correct. 18" x 8 front with a 4.75 bs and 19 x 9 with 4.75 bs. I did not mini tube the car in the rear and the front is tight if you want it to lay lower tubular control arms will help as well. Thnx
I will post some pics from the flats soon.

rickk
11-08-2009, 08:13 PM
:1st:
rick k

customshop
11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Here is a couple pics from the Salt Flats Muclse car power did a photo shoot after Sema Sat. morning. These are my pics, there will be much better quality I am sure. Hope you all like them.
Six weeks and 5 days total build time. I have 4 guys working in my shop and we were bustin Hump on this thing. Car went over really good at the show. Thanks for you kind comments also.

srh3trinity
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I didn't like the concept at first but the execution is great. The color looks good and the details with the stripes look great. Nice job.

customshop
11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks. We are going to the muscle car show in Rosemont next weekend if anyone wants to go. It is at the Donald Stevenson Center. sat and sunday.
http://musclecarandcorvettenationals.blogspot.com/

Jake616
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Great Job man! Gonna make somebody a fun ride!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-1968-Pro-Touring-Camaro-Beautiful-Restored-Custom-Rod_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b81240dcQQitemZ11 0462386396QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks