PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop attempt!!! I'm hooked!!

65chevelle''ss''
04-04-2005, 12:18 PM
I have been messing around with photoshop for about 1 week or so... I am finally starting to get the hang of it I think. Let me know what you guys think...

This is my friends truck... Here is what I started with:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

This is what I came up with:

I am open to opinions.... Give me suggestions or comments... Thanks again DarkBudda!!

DarkBuddha
04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
An excellent start! Especially nice job isolating the body from the background. Depending on what software you're using, you might be able to get better color results, and may be able to add more realism with some lighting effects, especially on the windows. I usually do my tint jobs using a light effect rather than brightness/contrast.

Keep with it!

65chevelle''ss''
04-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the input Wyatt... I will keep at it!!! It is starting to get really fun playing around with all these tools. I was getting really frustrated at first because Photoshop 7.0 is really complex, there is just soooo much to learn, but now I'm having fun with it just learning new things.... I will post up some new work when I get something worth showing!!

65chevelle''ss''
04-05-2005, 08:59 AM
Here's another!!! How do the windows look this time??? :)
Thanks for the tip!

Travis B
04-05-2005, 09:06 AM
That looks Killer! I love those trucks especially laying flat on the ground!
That pic of the chevelle looks even better yet!

Kevin@W2W
04-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Inspired by this thread I thought I would put The Mule a little farther down.

I think it looks just a tad more tough.
Hope ya dig it if you see it Charlie.

will69camaro
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
One things that would help with the tiont job on that chevelle is to only do the windows and dont tint the chrome. Looks VERY good for a newbie!!!

Also the mule looks INSANE even lower!!!!

William

DarkBuddha
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Very nice indeed! You're making excellent progress... you won't need my skills anymore, that's for sure. I also got your PM, so here is my tip about the wheel wells:

I use the same selection tool you chose, that basically allows you to select by clicking several points. This will often cause hard edges as you've found, so there are a couple things you can do to improve the situation. First, use many many more points to map the curve, thus making for fewer sharp angles. Sometimes I'll click 20 or more points. Second, some software apps allow you to choose an amount of "feathering" which basically softens the edge.

One other thing when doing wheel wells. I've found that by including a bit of the black area of the tire or shadows in the wheel well when I select actually works a bit better, since when you move/paste the new body image, the new wheel well will have a bit of extra shadow to work with. Then I usually smooth it a bit to disappear into the tire. It creates a bit of depth around the edge of the wheel well.

Hope this helps...

DarkBuddha
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
One things that would help with the tiont job on that chevelle is to only do the windows and dont tint the chrome. Looks VERY good for a newbie!!!
Look damn good, newbie or not IMHO. As for the tint thing, I go back and forth with blacking out window chrome or not. For me it depends on the car... sometimes I think the verticalness of the window chrome kills the flow of the lines of the car.

65chevelle''ss''
04-05-2005, 08:44 PM
That looks Killer! I love those trucks especially laying flat on the ground!
That pic of the chevelle looks even better yet!
Thanks for the comments Travis!! I love those trucks as well and I thought for my being an extreme novice it didn't turn out too bad... I love this program now!!!!

65chevelle''ss''
04-05-2005, 08:47 PM

Also the mule looks INSANE even lower!!!!

William
I know exactly what you mean Will about the tint.... I was actually going for a anodized look with the chrome.... I should have just brightened it up a little a left it like that.... Maybe I will play around with that... Thanks for the comments guys!!!

65chevelle''ss''
04-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Very nice indeed! You're making excellent progress... you won't need my skills anymore, that's for sure. I also got your PM, so here is my tip about the wheel wells:

I use the same selection tool you chose, that basically allows you to select by clicking several points. This will often cause hard edges as you've found, so there are a couple things you can do to improve the situation. First, use many many more points to map the curve, thus making for fewer sharp angles. Sometimes I'll click 20 or more points. Second, some software apps allow you to choose an amount of "feathering" which basically softens the edge.

One other thing when doing wheel wells. I've found that by including a bit of the black area of the tire or shadows in the wheel well when I select actually works a bit better, since when you move/paste the new body image, the new wheel well will have a bit of extra shadow to work with. Then I usually smooth it a bit to disappear into the tire. It creates a bit of depth around the edge of the wheel well.

Hope this helps...

Once again Wyatt, THANKS!!!!!!
You have helped out a bunch. I appreciate your words!!! I will try out your suggestions and see what I come up with.
Keep me posted with some of your work, K!!!!
T

Charley Lillard
04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Mule looks bitchin like that...But will it turn ....... Wait...I know...Air bags......

Kevin@W2W
04-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Mule looks bitchin like that...But will it turn ....... Wait...I know...Air bags......

Ha ha.. air bags.

Little less time consuming than turning the coil overs all the way down. I did that with my road race car a couple times when we showed it.

Hmmm, I wonder how air bags would hold up to 200 mph testing..:)

Your hood latches are turning out really nice. I'll try to snap some pics and send them to you.

65chevelle''ss''
04-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Here's one more I just finished.... What do you think????

Kevin@W2W
04-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Lookin good.

If you use the eraser tool and mess around with the settings as far as hardness and opacity you can smooth out the wheel wells quite a bit.

65chevelle''ss''
04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Lookin good.

If you use the eraser tool and mess around with the settings as far as hardness and opacity you can smooth out the wheel wells quite a bit.

Thanks for the tip Kevin, I am having problems with that. I will try it!

DarkBuddha
04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Good call on the eraser tool... I've started using it more and more. Also, one of the things that bugs me is when you can tell how and where a photo has been all chopped up. I try to maintain the continuity of the background and shadows as much as possible to keep it looking more realistic. Since I hadn't done it before, I thought I'd take a stab at fixing some of the stuff in your most recent 'chop. Here ya go:

I fixed the background as best I could and changed the angle of the wheels so that the rim is most visible towards the rear (which it should be since we're looking at it from in front). I know, they're little things, but it keep it convincing.

65chevelle''ss''
04-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Nice work Wyatt!! I will keep trying.....