PDA

View Full Version : best way to adapt C5/C6 drivetrain to a 69 Camaro

evilchevy
09-17-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm working on the way to upgrade my 69 camaro to a good protouring level.
My first choice would be to get a C5 or C6 Z06 drivetrain and adapt most of the component to my 69.

What front and rear clip would I need to use and what component from the vette drivetrain will I be able to use.

Did anyone allready went this way, what are the issue???

Any other better or cost effective direction to take to go LSx on a 69 camaro with upgraded suspension, brake, wheels....

Thanx

Rhino
09-17-2009, 01:22 PM
The C5 and C6 use a transaxle and independent suspension in the rear. Would you be using that as well?

If you're looking for a bolt in replacement for the front, Art Morrison and Jakes Rod Shop both build great subframes. Both also easily accept an LSx motor. Searching around the site you should find that the vast majority of engine swaps will be of the LS variety.

If you expand on exactly what you plan to use from the vette, we might be able to help you a little further.

silver69camaro
09-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Using the C6 IRS will require most, if not all, the rear tin to be removed. Our cars just weren't set up for those suspensions. Front suspensions is easy, but I wouldn't bother buying used parts and bolting them on...the only parts you could use are the control arms, hubs, and that's it.

Personally, I'm happy with our front and rear clip, but I'm a bit biased...

ErikLS2
09-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Matt,

Would be interesting to know what you think about the reward vs. added expense/work required to do the C6 IRS. Among other things, I believe the track width is a bit more than the Camaro's.

ProTour69Bird
03-16-2011, 11:51 PM
with what wheels?

does anyone know the hub to hub measurement of C5 irs'? I've been searchin vette forums, only found track width, im tryin to figure it out with my c6 ZR1 wheels.

silver69camaro
03-21-2011, 07:02 AM
with what wheels?

does anyone know the hub to hub measurement of C5 irs'? I've been searchin vette forums, only found track width, im tryin to figure it out with my c6 ZR1 wheels.

It's 66.3" w/o brake hats. Very wide!

Ron.in.SoCal
03-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Not sure how far the OP is trying to go w the C6 rolling drivetrain - as stated above - but having done preliminary research (and I am NOT an engineer) for a similar project (not mine) there's ALOT to it, lest of which is track width and wheelbase. There are experts out there like Roger @ Ironworks and RealBobJohnston (SP?) on Lat-G who've laid it out and some of the considerations/mods are as follows - determine wheelbase/front track width, figure out ride heigth/stance, move the rack forward, move the engine back, cut out most if not all of the floor/trunk, lengthen torque tube, adjust rear track and lots more. Take a look at Tyler's 50/50 and other projects at Ironworks to get an idea of some of the level of effort and challenges. Personally I'd love to do it, but I'm not sure I'd be down for the time, $$$ and effort. I also found the stuff at SRIII very interesting if you could get them to adapt to a first gen. Alternatively, you could check w Newman's Car Creations (Bosses Son) on C4 configurations which seem very cool and a little easier.

Oh, and if you do it take lots of pics...:)

TheBandit
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Here is something for you to look at:
Project AWD Camaro (http://www.projectawdcamaro.com/index.htm)