PDA

View Full Version : No inner fenders

Stu Seitz
04-03-2005, 10:48 PM
On my 69 maro I took out the inner fenders to drop some weight but also to make room for bigger wheels. By doing this I know I have removed some structural rigidity, but by adding DSE sub frame connectors would this problem be remedied and then some. I guess what I’m really trying to ask is it strong enough for track use?

MrQuick
04-03-2005, 11:01 PM
The structural rigidity offered by inner wells are more benificial to the front end sheet metal than suspension.
Sure DSE SFC's will strengthen the body and suspension but won't help the front end very little if not at all. You can make supports to help relieve stress on the sheet metal.
I didn't think they offered any support till I noticed stress fractures in the fender paint. Not to mention keeping rocks and debris out of your engine compartment.

zbugger
04-03-2005, 11:06 PM
I didn't think they offered any support till I noticed stress fractures in the fender paint. Not to mention keeping rocks and debris out of your engine compartment.
Note that this is a sign of subframe flex. If you are gonna run without fenderwells, I'd recommend running a set of front bars from the firewall to the frame ahead of the control arms. That should eliminate your flex. Not entirely, but it will do the job.

ProdigyCustoms
04-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Probably the biggest issue with no inner fenders has little to do with rigidity (is that a word?). Most of the issues will be keeping it clean under the hood, even a lawn sprinkler wetting the road will make a huge mess under the hood, and will kill any polished aluminum. Also, the thread of getting outty (another word, LOL) dents in the top of the fenders from rocks and stones flying off the big tires is very possible.
As far as strength, it really does no harm to remove them. The street racers and drags cars we do 90% of the time do not run inner fenders and twist much harder then anything you could put a PT car through, and we have no stress issues in the fenders. We also have less chance of slinging stones, of even water as much with pizza cutters up front.
I would find a way to put some kind of inner fender in it, you will thank me later.

Stu Seitz
04-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Yeah I'm think I might be putting them back in, but modding them. Thank for you help guys.

Piet
04-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I had always thought of building plastic inner fenders... kinda like mini tubs...

ProdigyCustoms
04-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Chevrolet actually used plastic in 70 and up Chevelles. Some were steel, some were plastic. Also, W30 Olds amoung others had red plastic wheelhouses.
More useless trivia information.

dhardison
04-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Unlimited Products (http://www.up22.com) makes fiberglass inner fenders for a number of cars. Saves weight and are easy to trim/mod.

Dan

CarlC
04-04-2005, 09:21 AM
How big of a wheel are you trying to fit?

jeffandre
04-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Unlimited Products (http://www.up22.com) makes fiberglass inner fenders for a number of cars. Saves weight and are easy to trim/mod.

Dan

I had a set of Unlimited's inners for my 71 but traded them for a full front clip. They seemd okay, but the Unlimited fenders I bought had to go back, they were garbage. I will use something from VFN/US Body/Showcars in the future. Gotta have them in order to keep the fenders and engine compartment decent.

dhardison
04-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I couldn't agree more! All the Unlimited outter fenders/hoods/deck lids etc. I've seen have been of VERY poor quality. The inner fenders were mentioned as an option because they're basically 'hidden'.

Dan

ProTouring442
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
I had a set of Unlimited's inners for my 71 but traded them for a full front clip. They seemd okay, but the Unlimited fenders I bought had to go back, they were garbage. I will use something from VFN/US Body/Showcars in the future. Gotta have them in order to keep the fenders and engine compartment decent.

Yeah, I bought a set of bumpers from VFN.... Well, lets just say that I could use them. After I spent 6 or so weekends on them! :pat: Full of air bubbles. Super thin too.

Stu Seitz
04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
How big of a wheel are you trying to fit?

Same size as you :worship: , but i would like a lower stance.

67rsssls
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
I have to agree that Unlimited's quality is VERY poor. I bought a fiberglass front clip for my 69 Camaro Drag car and the drivers fender was cut 6 inches too short at the door edge.

SicMonte
04-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I have plastic inner fenders on my car.....but im making some new ones out of sheet metal...want to paint them for a really clean look.

gmachinz
04-14-2005, 07:14 PM
I lowered my car about 3" up front and I just made my own out of aluminum. I trimmed it to fit right around everything important. It took me making three pieces for each side to get the fit right, then I took them all out, re-assembled each side as one unit, made measurements and then created two full sides and mounted them up. I needed to clear some 17x9 wheels up front. -Jabin

Steve Chryssos
04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
I just cut mine. I cut away only the underhood portion. The outer wheelhouse and the forward portion that fits between the fender and fender extension remains. I don't really have a good picture of it. This one will kinda give you an idea

http://homepage.mac.com/streetfytr/.Pictures/camaro%20pix/enginebay.jpg

Hot Tip #1: Loosely assembly the fender and wheelhouse and mark for cutting. Do not try to cut it out of the car. You will be tempted to cut some areas that should stay. It will make sense ON the car.
Hot Tip #2: Once cut, you will be in danger of slicing open your wrists (very bad) while working on your car. Make provisions for finishing off the edges.
Hot Tip #3: Try not to let your friends and neighbors see you vacuuming sand out of your engine compartment. While you are completely justified, the behavior seems--well--obsessive from across the street.

TitoJones
04-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Steevo-
Great idea on the inner fenders. I really wish I would have kept mine now, because that would have been a perfect mod.
I also like tip #3. I work with the door closed in the shop for this very reason.

Tyler