PDA

View Full Version : There is always a crazy one in the crowd!

Jiggs
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
I've been a member here since 2005, but have lingered and learned without saying too much. My '67 Lemans has evolved for the past 13 years to what it is today. I first built it before pro-touring was thought of, or at least I didn't know about it. The front brakes were switched to disk off a '72 Monte, a rear disk rearend from a '79 TA with poly bushings all around, Suspension Techniques springs and KYB shocks. and a 1 1/4 front sway bar. I have since added a truck arm rear suspension that I built myself. I want to do more but the next project is now here. I will still add things slowly. I have '06 GTO seats to go in with seatbelts, and still want to make the suspension better. Wheels and tires need help too. Anyway.....

My wife fell in love with a '65 VW Karmann Ghia. It is far from perfect, so modding it won't offend too many purists. So why would the pro-touring world care? Well, she said as long as it still looks like a Ghia, do what you want. She loves speed, loves cornering, and wants it to be able to cruise on the highway for hours. Hmm, pro-touring I thinks. By the way she is footing the bill, but I am doing the labour.

So I found a Porsche 914 for the rear suspension, a '76 911 for the front suspension, a '99 Passat for the 1.8T and manual trans (this driveline sits front to back, not transverse) that will sit midship. I am planning a full frame, cage and additional engine and suspension upgrades to make this thing scream.

I know this forum is 99% domestic iron, but I think this fits the pro-touring mold. Hopefully you guys don't mind me here.

John Wright
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
My Dad had a 75' VW Bus that he put the Porsche FI motor/transaxle in way back in the day...made that thing kinda fun to drive, I can only imagine the Ghia would be even lighter and more aero than that bus that was shaped like a brick.

1971CHEVELLE
09-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the site

Ralph LoGrasso
09-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the site. Don't worry about building an import, there's room for everyone on PT.com.

The '65 sounds like a really cool project! Post some pictures of your Lemans when you get a chance as well, it sounds very nice.

b-man
09-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Pro-Touring VWs are cool.

I built this '66 Type II pickup back in 1989 back before I ever heard of Pro-Touring. :)

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/DSC02220-1.jpg

It's trapped in the back of my garage these days, hoping to see the light of day again sometime soon.

Yep, there's always that one guy.......

Welcome!

srh3trinity
09-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I have always liked Ghia's. That sounds like an awesome project, I for one would love to see how it comes out. I want to see the Lemans too. Sounds pretty cool.

Jiggs
09-19-2009, 06:32 AM
I also have to thank the people over at Performance Years for all the help in building the new drivetrain that went in a year ago. 455, Eagle crank, Tomahawk 4130 rods, Probe pistons, ported 6x-4 heads, Ferrea valves, crower 60244 cam and springs, Rhoades lifters, Harland Sharp 1.65 rockers, Performer RPM intake and Edelbrock 800 Thunder carb. Tremec TKO600 trans and centerforce clutch.

Steve Firebird
12-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Hey Jiggs that sounds like a awesome project. It must be something about the cold weather that makes us think off center. I built my 68 Firebird pretty close to your Lemans build up and stumbled across Pro-Touring looking for parts and said hey that’s just what I am looking to do.
I am going to look at a 71 Karmann Ghia today and may bring it home. The body looks great but it’s not running and has been in storage for years. We should compare notes sometime if we both end up building one. BTW have you ever heard of Bader racing? They built a Karmann Ghia with a Porsche running gear and suspension and will make one for anyone else for a something like 260K
Here is a link to them and a picture of their car.
http://www.bader-racing.de/en/home/home_news.htm (http://www.bader-racing.de/en/home/home_news.htm)

George Manont
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi Jiggs,

We are all motorhead in one form or the other , don't worry...be happy !

Besides, Mr. LoGrasso and his blessing is a real welcome. That's that !

Cheers & Keep up the good work

GM.