PDA

View Full Version : Best oem spindle / knuckle

sharp67
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM
I am looking for input on spindles. I would like to find a spindle that has ideal KPI, wide spread between upper and lower bj. I am open to hear more info regarding important considerations on a spindle as well. Ive looked at some of the spindles at Stock Car Products, but I think I would like to stay with something oem so if I need a new one they are easily attainable. I am working on a scratch built IFS on a 68 Mustang. Im in the planing stages. I am open on offset / backspacing, Diameter and width on the wheel.

Bryce
09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
i want to follow this thread. since i just built my own front suspension for the falcon.

as for spindles, things to consider: material-lighter the better. brakes-whats available. steering arm-i would keep it a rear steer.

killer69
09-14-2009, 01:54 PM
What about fitting a newer mustang strut into the car with say a QA1 tubular k member???
i am not sure on the track width but it is a good set up and the layout is bacically the same.???

just an idea

sharp67
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Ill have to check that out. Did not even cross my mind. I was pretty focused on the unequal length a arm setup.

sharp67
09-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Is this setup more for straightline or will it suit a road racing type application. I want to go fast through the twisties.

Bryce
09-14-2009, 05:02 PM
strut suspension on paper does not sound very good when compared to a SLA. but it actually performs very well. It was origally desinged to be a cheaper OEM suspension that would allow more room in the engine compartment.

i have a 95 mustang with stock strut suspension and coilovers. i can pull 1G with a 245 sumitomo tire on all four corners.

killer69
09-14-2009, 07:22 PM
altho the QA1 k member may be a little light duty it could be strengthened up to handle the corners, you could also check out a SN95 k member 94up but the track width is a bit wider than the earlier years, the strut set up is a good way to go . look at the saleen and steeda road race cars, hard to argue with that!!!
big factor will be the width but even if you had o have some one off lowr control arms and manual rack made??? then agai you may not need it at all migth work with a high off set wheel??

windsor
10-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I like this idea and want to do something similar. I have another thread about the AJE k-member.

silver69camaro
10-07-2009, 05:20 AM
I'd look into the Wilwood Pro Spindle. Allows a variety of brakes to be used, front or rear steer, and a good ball joint spread. Very, very strong too.

Bryce
10-07-2009, 05:30 AM
I'd look into the Wilwood Pro Spindle. Allows a variety of brakes to be used, front or rear steer, and a good ball joint spread. Very, very strong too.

I wish i had seen that spindle when i built my front suspension. It looks great. I might need to do a redesign around that spindle.