PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Birmingham AL, owner of original Cheverra!

cheverra
09-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Hello everybody,

My name is James Thomas, and I’m from Birmingham AL.

I own the original Cheverra built by Herb Adams. Yes, the yellow one that had the I88 427 in it and was on the cover of Hot Rod in June 1981.

I have had it since the early 90’s; the car has been authenticated by Herb and Matt Adams. I’ll post pics as soon as I learn how. I have just started restoring the car.

When I first got it, I drove it on the street and auto-crossed it some. I have seen so many sites where people have talked about the car so I decided to join this site and let Herb Adams fans know where it is.

I’m a Pontiac guy at heart; years back I restored the ’70 Titus Firebird, now owned by Mark Montanous in CA. I was looking for a Fire-Am when I came across the Cheverra. The guy I bought it from did not know the car’s history; just that some guy named Herb Adams had built the car and raced it in some endurance race. I called Herb and found out it was the car so I bought it. All I can say is that it’s pretty trick and handles like a slot car.

I will post pics as I go with the restoration, and will show all the F-body guys Herb’s tricks in making one handle.

neki67
09-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the site. Very interested to see some pics of the car.

NOT A TA
09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Welcome James! You're right a lot of people will be very interested to see details on the car. Pics would be great!

parsonsj
09-12-2009, 05:16 AM
James,

Welcome to the site. I'm sure a lot of us would love to see some pics of your Cheverra. I've edited your post for clarity, mostly to fix the all upper case "method" you used. Please use mixed case... otherwise people think you're shouting at them.

Now please go get us some pics! :)

jp

ssdeuce
09-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Welcome!

Ralph LoGrasso
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the site, James. I'm looking forward to seeing those pics, sounds like a very cool and nostalgic car.

formula
09-12-2009, 05:19 PM
for those who don't know the cheverra, vse, and herb:

http://www.guinns-engineering.com/1970%20Herb%20Adams%20VSE%20Cheverra.htm

Can't wait to see pics.

cheverra
09-12-2009, 05:33 PM
It looks nothing like that one can some one tell me how to post pics on here.im a racer never been real good on a computer unless its a dfi.thanks for your help.

formula
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I'll do my best to help....

-start out by going to http://photobucket.com/

-upon arriving, click on "join now, it's free!"

-pick a username and password.

-enter all of your info on the next page. Note that you DO NOT have to enter your phone number, and you DO NOT have to check the option "store my hi-res photos fro $2 a month". Those are both completely OPTIONAL and won't affect anything.

-click "skip" at the very bottom of the next page to skip whatever stupid offer they offer you. Again, won't affect anything.

-now, you should be in the main part of the website. Click on "Upload images and videos". This will open one of those navigation boxes, where you will have to click through to wherever you store your pictures. Once you get there, you can hold down ctrl and click on each picture you want to upload to add more than one at a time. Once you have highlighted all the pictures you want to add, click "open".

-You should now see a little box showing each picture uploading. Once they finish, a big check mark will pop up and it will say "x of x pictures uploaded!" Now, you can just click "return to album" and it will take you back to where all your pictures are.

-Whenever you move your mouse over one of the pictures, you'll notice a little window pops up under the picture that gives you a couple different website addresses. Don't worry about what they all are--just left-click on the one that shows up next to "direct link". This should highlight the whole internet address in that little box. Then push ctrl and c at the same time--this copies the address.

-next, come back to pro touring. start a new post. at the top, above where you type your message in, click on the little picture of a mountain. a box will appear that says "please enter the URL of your message." Now push ctrl and v at the same time. This will paste the internet address you copied into this place.

-push ok, and your picture should pop up in the box where you type your message! then just submit it like normal.

cheverra
09-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks wes,Im going to post in the morning when I have better light in garage,if I have any problems I will let you know,James

1971CHEVELLE
09-13-2009, 05:17 AM
Welcome to the site

joemac
09-13-2009, 06:28 AM
Welcome

79-TA
09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I like to use imageshack for photohosting.

Just go to the site and upload, no registration necessary. Make sure to resize it so that it will fit nicely on the boards (600x800 or less will fit nicely) Get the DIRECT LINK to your image and then just paste it in the prompt that comes up when you click the image button (the yellowish one with a mountain that you can access with the "go advanced" option.)

Welcome to the site!

vsefiream
09-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Are we refering to this car in the middle of the page?:https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/Page6-1.jpg

Mr.VENGEANCE
09-21-2009, 08:16 AM
pics! pics! pics! pics! pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!pics! pics! pics! pics!

Tig Man
09-21-2009, 07:10 PM
I have an original copy of Herbs book from way back in the day showing the build of the car and the parts they were selling! I tremendous inspration of my car build years ago!

Mark

The Stickman
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the forum. I love the old race and race inspired cars.

vsefiream
10-07-2009, 05:31 AM
I spoke with Matt yesterday. He remembers the car, it is the only stage III Cheverra they built with a BBC. He was excited to hear it was on Ebay and was going to check it out last night. Too bad you're selling but good luck. I hope it finds a good home. Oh and BTW it is the same car that was built in the silver and blue VSE catalog

John Wright
10-07-2009, 05:55 AM
This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150377399150

vsefiream
10-07-2009, 06:03 AM
this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayisapi.dll?viewitem&item=150377399150

yup