hmmm this morning I received 2 emails from [email protected]

one with the title : request response
and another one with fax mesage received

suspicious it downloaded a pic but it was all blank both emails

very suspicious =I

derekf
08-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Sounds like someone's infected.

It's probably not Larry - I guess the virus writers figure if they use the correct return address then someone will tell the infected party.

Everyone, please, if you sent mail to [email protected], grab a virus scanner and use it... you may be the infected one.

If you don't have a virus scanner, Trend Micro has a free web-based scan at www.trendmicro.com .

derekf
08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Did you open the image? That might not have been a picture..

It looks like (from the message subjects) it may have been the w32.beagle.x@mm worm or a variant, and if you opened the attachment you are likely infected now.

Check out this page at the Symantec web site (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]) for details on one of the variants of this worm.

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-24-2004, 11:48 AM
well I opened it with aol email....and I saw pro touring so figure it was safe to enable pictures =( maybe not

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-24-2004, 12:01 PM
ok thanks for the help ...I read that website and most likely I do because it names the same subject lines =I ....so right now im running the repair program...its free!!!! 2.56mb size... so if anyone received this same emails ...download this program....hopefully its a fake

Larry Callahan
08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
It's not me and the address is close but there isn't a [email protected] address. It's just making up the first half of the e-mail address.

Hope everything is o.k.

chevymike
08-24-2004, 12:37 PM
As I have tried to get the users in my department to understand this statement, I have found nothing will prevent people from opening attachments. Here is my standard statement:

Do not open ANY attachments that you are not expecting, regardless of whom they are from.

Words to live by. :usa:

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-24-2004, 01:39 PM
well after the scan it reported 0 viruses...what an A----le who ever sent that LOL

Ralph LoGrasso
08-24-2004, 05:07 PM
Rick,

Use a spyware scanner, it may have been spyware. I got a virus like that about 2 weeks ago, it was an attachment called "price.exe". It was some sort of trojan, I had to reformat.

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-24-2004, 06:12 PM
thanks ...I Just scanned for spyware with some aol software and adware...27 files ..damn!!! lol nerds! >=[

Pzary3233
08-24-2004, 08:09 PM
I've found that Ad-Aware does not get everything... with a combination of both Ad-Aware and Spybot I cleaned up my compurer. This is what we also do at School in our IT dept.

Just my 2 cents

Ralph LoGrasso
08-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Spyware Blaster is also good it stops a lot of the spware from downloading and installing on your comp in the first place.

Steve Chryssos
08-25-2004, 05:05 AM
I noticed that a lot of members are using email addresses in their sigs. That's a no no. I believe there are creepy crawly computer programs out there that search forums for "at" signs, then they swipe the email addresses for later use when sending viruses. This raises the likelihood that the receiver will open and download the infected email.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But if it were up to me, I'd outlaw email addresses in posts or sigs. When necessary write out email addresses as follows:

postsATpro-touringDOTcom.

Pzary3233
08-27-2004, 07:51 AM
hey guys I opend the email on a school computer that was about to get wiped out to see what it was. It launches a scrpit when you open the email, what the script is I do not know... So don't even open the email if you get it.
Paul Z.

Zefhix
08-27-2004, 10:46 AM
I noticed that a lot of members are using email addresses in their sigs. That's a no no. I believe there are creepy crawly computer programs out there that search forums for "at" signs, then they swipe the email addresses for later use when sending viruses. This raises the likelihood that the receiver will open and download the infected email.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But if it were up to me, I'd outlaw email addresses in posts or sigs. When necessary write out email addresses as follows:

postsATpro-touringDOTcom.

You got it and they're called robots! 99% of email virus target outlook & outlook express, steal you address lists and send virus to everyone on your lists and so-on. It's nasty out there!! Norton Anti-Virus (corporate edition) w/ live updates is still some of the best protection. :cool:

TonyL
08-27-2004, 10:50 AM
download trojanhunter

http://www.trojanhunter.com/

run it. you'll be shocked. i have spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy, adaware and spyguard (spyware doctor). still i had 5 trojans on my computer i didnt know were there. the program is a trial its free. (for 30 days) and an eye opener.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Just to let you guys know, today I recieved an email from DerekFATpt.com and also myself, both contained .gifs that I didn't open. It looks like a robot hoarded the pt.com email addresses :(.

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-28-2004, 09:00 AM
well it looks like the gif file its just to make the email blank and hide everything ....but i guess it wont afect if you using aol =D

Ralph LoGrasso
08-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Actually there was some weird link in the email. I didn't open the gifs or click the link. Derek took a look at the email and thinks I should be fine.