PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Belt Device

ProTouring442
04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Ok guys, I have an idea on which I need advice. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/04/willy_nilly-1.gif My 72 442 is a convertible, so installing shoulder belt (the three-point stock kind) is problematic. The shoulder mount needs to be higher than the 1/4 panel. This would look rather unsightly, but I think it really needs to be done for safety's sake. So my thought is to make a motorized stand that will rise to the correct hieght when the key is on, but lower to the interior panel when the key is off. I figure some good square structual tubing and a linear actuator should do the trick, but I am unsure of the size needed to be useful in the event of a need for the shoulder belt. https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/04/eek-1.gif I am turning to the board because most of you are way smarter than I, and collectively... https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/04/hail-1.gif

What do you think?

Thanks!
Bill
72 442 "Inamorata"

CamaroAJ
04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
not sure about your seats and how much you want to keep your car stock but have you looked into seats with the belt made in them like a GM full size truck?

vanzuuk1
04-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Don't forget that mechanism needs to be far away from your heads so it doesn't become a weapon in an accident. you would be amazed how far you stretch and contort in a crash. Don't ask me how I know . the seat that camaroaj described sounds like a cleaner idea , or the summit seats with the holes by the shoulder. Your idea is good but it would have to be triangulated to where it would really have a "monster garage" look to it .

ProTouring442
04-05-2005, 01:39 AM
Don't forget that mechanism needs to be far away from your heads so it doesn't become a weapon in an accident. you would be amazed how far you stretch and contort in a crash. Don't ask me how I know . the seat that camaroaj described sounds like a cleaner idea , or the summit seats with the holes by the shoulder. Your idea is good but it would have to be triangulated to where it would really have a "monster garage" look to it .

Do you think? Mercedes and Pontiac have both mounted the seat belt shoulder pivot on a pedestal on convertibles. Neither looks to be braced all that crazy, though they obviously are braced well enough. I was thinking that a piece of square tubing (with good wall thickness) that fits into another piece of square tubing. The lower tubing would be welded into the inner 1/4 structure and the upper would slide into it. The overlap would be at least 6 or 8 inches in the extended position. A linear actuator would drive the upper up or down.

vanzuuk1
04-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Bill You are right , you have put more thought into this then I have . I'll shut up now.

paul67
04-05-2005, 03:06 AM
Are there not some seats with the seat belt fitted into the seat ?

paul67

ProTouring442
04-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Are there not some seats with the seat belt fitted into the seat ?

paul67

Yeah, but I don't think any of them allow you to flip the seat forward to enter the back seat. I guess they recline, but I don't know.

CamaroAJ
04-06-2005, 08:51 AM
also look at sebring (sp?) verts, i think they allow fold foward to get in the back.

Kenova
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
also look at sebring (sp?) verts, i think they allow fold foward to get in the back.
..............and some newer BMW convertables.
Ken

David Pozzi
04-06-2005, 08:04 PM
What happens if you roll the car wearing a sholder harness?

ProTouring442
04-07-2005, 01:24 AM
What happens if you roll the car wearing a sholder harness?

Hopefully, you stay in the car... but even better would be to NOT roll it! Like any convertible, it will offer less roll over protection that a coupe. I am worried more about hitting the dash in the event of being hit in the rear (got hit by a semi once) or even if I were to hit something. If I can't come up with something, I am stuck with only lap belts! Ouch!

CamaroAJ
04-07-2005, 07:16 AM
i would deffently add seat rails to take the extra stress of the seat having a belt in the seat.

Given2Fly
08-04-2007, 05:29 AM
I'm not intimately familiar with the 442s, but do you necessarily have to raise the shoulder belt mount above the rear interior quarter panel? I understand the problem of needing the shoulder sash belt to come in at the proper angle, but is lowering the seat pan an option?

Not discounting your idea, but in general I'd want to exhaust simpler ideas than an actuated/motorized mount or pivot... not to mention ending up with something looking like this:

Given2Fly
08-04-2007, 05:46 AM
A quick factoid: Schroth harnesses, in their installation instructions for racing harnesses EA 8.2, note that at a 90 degree collision at 31 MPH, the forces on a 165 lb mass dummy are:

at the pelvis, more than 14 kN [3,100 lb] at each side
at the upper torso, more than 7 kN [1,550 lb] on each strap:eek:

ProTouring442
08-04-2007, 06:03 AM
I've been working on this in my mind, and I think I have an idea on how I want to do this. I'll post up up pics as soon as I get them mocked up.

Thanks for the info though!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

Given2Fly
08-04-2007, 06:19 AM
:cool: