PDA

View Full Version : Best rack & pinion for 69 Camaro

kenhaw
09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Want to upgrade to Rack & Pinion on my 69 Camaro.
Which is the best for the street?

Kenneth

Mkelcy
09-08-2009, 04:09 PM
You best bet is probably a new steering box from Lee Manufacturing, DSE, ATS (if Tyler's still selling them) or similar supplier.

68sixspeed
09-08-2009, 06:03 PM
There has been a lot of negative on the steeroids regarding mounting and bump steer. The Unisteer has had some good writeups and posts on here, they supply new steering arms to fix or help the bump steer, might be worth contacting them. I have the DSE steering box and it is really, really good, but still not a modern rack. (but darn close, not over-boosted)

killer69
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
i would go with the unisteer and the speed tech headers that allow a 2 joint steering shaft

Bryce
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
check out woodward steering. and build your own set up.

kenhaw
09-09-2009, 01:30 AM
i would go with the unisteer and the speed tech headers that allow a 2 joint steering shaft

Does that mean I have to change my Hooker Super competition headers if I want the Unisteer Rack & Pinion?

kenhaw
09-09-2009, 01:52 AM
Has anybody tried or are running the Flaming River setup. It looks pretty complete and easy to install?

Bryce
09-09-2009, 06:37 AM
i am a ford guy and have done extensive research on bolt in r&p for falcons/mustangs. unisteer and flaming river are horrible. many write-ups on how they dont fit and wont clear headers. there is also a bumpsteer issue as well as loss of turning radius. look into these issues for a camaro

killer69
09-09-2009, 08:01 AM
yes you are going to have to change the headers or at least modify them for the steering shaft..

fmk123ster
09-09-2009, 08:33 AM
I looked into this for some time. The answer I can to is with a stock sub dont use a rack.

BMR Tech
09-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Does that mean I have to change my Hooker Super competition headers if I want the Unisteer Rack & Pinion?

You will definitely have to either change headers or modify yours to run the Unisteer or Steeroids kit. Our project car (69 Camaro) has the Unisteer kit on it with SBC Hooker Supercomps and we had to re-make the front tube of the headers to make room for the steering shaft. I just cut the front tube off, built a new steering shaft, then built a new stainless front header tube around the shaft.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

NOGO
09-09-2009, 09:46 AM
i am a ford guy and have done extensive research on bolt in r&p for falcons/mustangs. unisteer and flaming river are horrible. many write-ups on how they dont fit and wont clear headers. there is also a bumpsteer issue as well as loss of turning radius. look into these issues for a camaro

Same experience here with Unijunk. Their early Nova kit is worthless and I tore it off soon after it was on. When I called their service department they said my bumpsteer, non-linear turning, header clearance, toe adjustment problem, and limited turning were acceptable. What a crock!

killer69
09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
our test car runs the unisteer and has had MANY comments on how well it drives!! the feel is great, the u joints do need to be phased 90 deg to each other to get the smoothness.
the toe adjustment is no different than any other setup.
The bump steer is not perfect, but not noticable when driving

my .02

BMR Tech
09-11-2009, 07:53 AM
our test car runs the unisteer and has had MANY comments on how well it drives!! the feel is great, the u joints do need to be phased 90 deg to each other to get the smoothness.
the toe adjustment is no different than any other setup.
The bump steer is not perfect, but not noticable when driving

my .02

Agreed, no complaints on the "feel" of the Unisteer kit. It works great, has a nice, late model feel to it, fit reasonably well and tucks up out of the way. For a bolt-in kit using the constraints of the OE subframe they did a good job. Is the bump steer perfect? No, but since it comes with new steering arms with corrected geometry, it's better than the Steeroids kit right out of the box.
Just wanted to make it clear that the steering shaft dilemna is a product of the conversion itself, not an issue with this particular kit. Anytime you alter a steering shaft location, there is bound to be header clearance issues.....

killer69
09-11-2009, 01:15 PM
the BEST answer for the Steering column is to call US. We have SBC BBC and LSX headers that Stainlessworks builds for us and they will allow a 2 joint shaft which we also have put together.

jal
09-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Has anyone used the Unisteer kit in a 69 Firebird with a Poncho engine?
That is what I'm currently thinking about doing this off-season.

The headers on the Pontiac are much different in how they exit the head from a Chevy.

joe

79T/Aman
09-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Why use a R&P when you have available such good steering boxes these days, racks bring on many issues, header clearance and fit, bump steer and are not designed to handle the loads of older cars with hi scrub radius, new 600 series boxes offer neerly the same feel as a rack you will gain clearance and loose some weight over the stock box, no fabrication hasle, new boxes are a win win combination

crustyz11
09-13-2009, 08:22 PM
It really depends on what you're gonna do with your car. My car is a cruiser with a little more handling via; hotchkis 2" drop front springs, hellwig hollow front sway bar, koni shocks, urathane bushings and a Steeroids power rack & pinion. I installed it all myself on the floor of the garage with very few issues. My 69 camaro has a traditional SB/TH400/floor shift with cheapo Dynomax coated headers and everything cleared perfectly.
I had an issue with the (incorrect) PS hoses they sent me, so i contacted them and they corrected it immediately with braided stainless hoses free of charge. The customer service is EXCELLENT!

79T/Aman
09-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Not busting you crusty,I'm just thinking logic out loud, if it's just a cruiser why go through the expense and labor to install a R&P, when you can just put in a modern steering box that bolts right up at a lower cost.

jal
09-14-2009, 04:27 AM
79T/Aman,
Are there new quick ratio manual steering boxes available for 1st gens?
Everything I've found seems to be power.

79T/Aman
09-14-2009, 05:14 AM
manual box and quick ratio don't go together, the quicker the ratio the harder it would be to turn the wheel of the top of my head I think the fastest manual box is either 16 or 18:1, and if you add that to wide front tires and positive caster it could get tough to drive in a city environment

crustyz11
09-14-2009, 06:41 AM
79T/Aman;
I replaced my entire front suspension/steering/brakes with upgraded parts because my car had all of its original parts. I took off all of the original stuff and stored it in case i sell my car later, or want to take it back to original someday. I used the same R&P on my other car i built and really like how well it simplified things aesthetically and mechanically. I could have paid the same amount to rebuild/upgrade my original steering (600 box/ new drag link/ pitman arm/ idler arm/inner & outer tie rod ends), but why?
I'm sure i'll get blasted by the die-hard budget handling folks but, oh well. Lol

79T/Aman
09-14-2009, 07:05 AM
no one will blast you, if you are happy with it that is what counts, but when someone asks if or what rack they should use I would advise against it for the many reasons listed above.

crustyz11
09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
That's cool man. The OP asked for opinions on racks, so that's what i gave.