PDA

View Full Version : Stupid iPod...

Steve1968LS2
09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Ran into problem with my iPod Touch based audio system. Tom McBride at Bowler found out that the noise in the system was from using the Griffin TuneDock as an audio input device to the amp. He moved to using the headphone out jack and not only did the high-freq noise go away but the overall sound quality and volume when WAY up.

So no problem, we will just use the headphone out jack to feed audio to the amp.. BUZZ! wrong answer.

Seems that SOME iPod devices cut the output to the headphone jack when the unit is being charged (well, when it's docked). So we now have to put in a switch so that when I want audio we have to run off the Touch's internal batt and then flip the switch to charge but not have audio.

I have to think this is a software deal since it's not something that happens to all models of iPod. For instance his daughter's regular iPod doesn't do this and it seems some updates activate this stupid function.

Any ideas?

GRNOVA
09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?14&pid=178

Steve,
Have you tried this option yet? I was following your replies from JP's post. And Am looking into doing the same thing With my IPhone.

parsonsj
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I've been loving my noise-free stereo in my car. The Navone product works.

jp

Steve1968LS2
09-08-2009, 05:09 PM
I've been loving my noise-free stereo in my car. The Navone product works.

jp

I don't think that was my problem though since it made noise even with the car off.. and the audio quality was crud.

My problem now is that this Touch disables the headphone jack when docked.. which is stupid since many people use that jack to interface with the car stereos.

dropit69
09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
ill have to try it out on mine Steve i use the headphone jack in my truck and swore i charge it while driving.but will check only i dont use a dock just a cheapo type cig lighter charger..

formula
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't think that was my problem though since it made noise even with the car off.. and the audio quality was crud.

My problem now is that this Touch disables the headphone jack when docked.. which is stupid since many people use that jack to interface with the car stereos.

There's always the new zune hd! :spam:

Steve1968LS2
09-08-2009, 05:53 PM
ill have to try it out on mine Steve i use the headphone jack in my truck and swore i charge it while driving.but will check only i dont use a dock just a cheapo type cig lighter charger..

My understanding is that some do and some don't and newer software updates cause it more than older ones.

I also heard where Apple wants to make it so you can only use "Apple Certified" headphones with thier products, but that's another story for another time.

dropit69
09-08-2009, 05:59 PM
just checked mine Steve i can listen and charge at same time..its a gen 1 16 gig touch with cheapo charger though..not a dock..apple gets weird with wanting to have just there stuff on everything..the stock headphones suck ass..

TA219
09-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I dont have any suggestion to fix your issue but do agree that not all ipods are equal. My old 2g iphone had all kinds of interference when I tried to use it in my DD, my new 3Gs doesnt have it at all.

Steve1968LS2
09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
just checked mine Steve i can listen and charge at same time..its a gen 1 16 gig touch with cheapo charger though..not a dock..apple gets weird with wanting to have just there stuff on everything..the stock headphones suck ass..

I heard the Gen 1s didn't have this problem but the later gens do.. thanks for confirming :)

shep
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I would guess that the dock is what cuts the head phone jack since it has audio out on it. I would also guess that if you got just a cheap cigarette lighter charger that it would not cut out the head phone jack. Should be fairly cheap to test belkin makes a ipod charging kit with the connections you would need. I think I picked ours up for less than $20.

Samckitt
09-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Some more advise for you, don't go to version 3 of the OS software. I did & now the wifi barely works if at all. It is a known issue. I didn't research it before I installed it. I just assumed it was better, you would think me working for a software company I would know better.

:banghead:

parsonsj
09-09-2009, 04:44 AM
I would guess that the dock is what cuts the head phone jack since it has audio out on it. I would also guess that if you got just a cheap cigarette lighter charger that it would not cut out the head phone jack. Should be fairly cheap to test belkin makes a ipod charging kit with the connections you would need. I think I picked ours up for less than $20.All my iPhone/iPods allow the headphone jack while charging with Apple gear connected to my Mac. But: in my car with my PAC AV2, it works as Steve described: audio comes out over the dock, and not through the headphone jack. Ergo, it's the dock, not the iPhone. I think a cheap "charge only" device is worth a try.

don't go to version 3 of the OS software. I did & now the wifi barely works if at all. It is a known issue.I hadn't heard that. Got a link?

jp

Samckitt
09-09-2009, 04:58 AM
Do a Google search for;

ipod touch os 3 wifi problems

parsonsj
09-09-2009, 05:20 AM
Apple has released a service bulletin on how to resolve the WiFi issues. If the software reset directions don't work, then the unit needs to be repaired or replaced. Sounds like the OS isn't the issue, but the upgrade path or the hardware is:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1559

jp

Samckitt
09-09-2009, 06:32 AM
That tells what to do if there is NO connection, mine shows I have a connection, but it is slower than snails in December. Not a problem before going to 3. I'll try it & see what happens, but doubt it will make a difference.

Steve1968LS2
09-09-2009, 07:10 AM
I would guess that the dock is what cuts the head phone jack since it has audio out on it. I would also guess that if you got just a cheap cigarette lighter charger that it would not cut out the head phone jack. Should be fairly cheap to test belkin makes a ipod charging kit with the connections you would need. I think I picked ours up for less than $20.

That's a good idea to try, but I got the idea from reading online that it was the unit, that's why some do it and some don't. But, it's worth a try.

Thanks

6'9"Witha69
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
There's always the new zune hd! :spam:
+1

Been a Zune user for a few years.

Steve1968LS2
09-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Then again it must also be IN the iPod sometimes. Tom's regular iPod doesn't do it in my car but my Touch does.

Steve1968LS2
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
+1

Been a Zune user for a few years.

I did the Zune thing but I hated thier interface for syncing the unit. In other words it was a huge PITA to load and update whereas the iPod is stupid easy.

Hey, I have a 30gb white one for sale.. low miles and CHEAP!

:)

6'9"Witha69
09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Really? I think the whole drag and drop thing makes it fool proof. Hell, my wife and I have our own units and VERY different taste in music. It keeps everything seperate and neat. The software for her iPhone and our daughters shuffle is cumbersome by comparison. But you say 30GB, meaning series 1. The 80/120 series are 2. The new HD is series 3. Trust me, they made it better every time.

Skip Fix
09-12-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't know about better with the new ones my old one did a good shuffle. My new one will play a song by the same artist on shuffle in 10 minutes! And it has over a 1000 songs to shuffle from. If you were playing cards you'd get shot for cheating if that happened!

Magntik
09-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Hey Steve, try these guys' products. Might be what your looking for.

http://www.sendstation.com/

I have one of their older units and still use it with my iPod Video.