PDA

View Full Version : Evercoat Metal to Metal then SPI Epoxy?

68nate
09-08-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm using Evercoat Metal to Metal to cover some welded in patches then SPI Epoxy then filler etc. Is this OK? Also using SPI waterborn wax and grease remover on the bare metal before the Epoxy, is it okay to wipe the Metal to Metal with this as well before spraying the Epoxy?

Thanks , Nate

LateNight72
09-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes on all accounts.

68nate
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks Todd, That's what I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated.

Nathan Duden

rusty428cj
09-09-2009, 03:33 AM
I have been using SPI products for over 5 years and I would spray the epoxy first after welding patches than do your body work.

Rick D
09-09-2009, 05:12 AM
I have been using SPI products for over 5 years and I would spray the epoxy first after welding patches than do your body work.

As stated I would use the epoxy first than do your filler work. Much better system. As for water bourn cleaner you should follow up with a solivent cleaner after. Water bourn clearns remove most contamination but not all. A solivent cleaner will remove the stuff that a water bourn cleaner will not. Also ck the tech sheet on the epoxy to see if they want it sanded or not sanded before you do your filler work over it.

JRouche
09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Yup, Ill get on that wagon. I used SPI epoxy. Its all I would put on bare metal. Ok, well that and any other good epoxy primer. But I would seal it all up in epoxy then lay the filler.

And as far as the cleaner goes, yeah, I like to do a double dose too, water borne and solvent based. But I go the other way around. I do the solvent based first and do a final clean-up with the water borne. Why?? Well, if the panel is so dirty to need to use the solvent based then the water borne wont touch the bad stuff. Oils and grease and just the really nasty stuff. Then the water borne gets used just before shooting. It removes all the dust and finger prints and some bug turds. I like the water borne for the last cleaning cause IMO it has less byproducts after drying. Its alcohol based, dries clean. Makes for a good final wipe down. JR