PDA

View Full Version : SBC Turbo Cast Manifolds!

Turbo67camaro
09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I found these SBC Turbo Cast Exhaust Manifolds. If anyone has any first hand knowledge of these please share it.

http://strco.net/cart/chevy-sbc-turbo-manifold-p-12.html

$699 for a pair of turbo manifolds is quite cost effective.

Granted, we'd all prefer a set of custom Nelson Racing Stainless Turbo Headers to get the job done, but we all don't have that kind of budget.

I doubt these manifolds will breathe as well as custom turbo headers, but the fact that they are cast iron should prove a good durable solution that manages heat well.

Project69
09-08-2009, 06:18 PM
They look good.

andrewb70
09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
They look good, but I wonder if they actually fit any chassis or accessory drive system.

Andrew

MonzaRacer
09-13-2009, 07:45 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mnm99
10-10-2009, 05:21 PM
They will fit a chevy 350..BUT......A couple things to consider. #1 The flanges are T3/4. They only accept ON CENTER housings. So, you would have to find the T3/4 housing (hard to find)or get a T3 -T4 adapter. Now the turbo is higher mounted. #2 the wastegate flanges are for the old style Tial 38MM gates. the 44's won't mount up. Banks has the 44 flanges. Other than that they look nice. Just try a search for a on-center T3/4 housing turbo. Very rare.

twinturbo69
11-16-2009, 06:54 PM
They will fit a chevy 350..BUT......A couple things to consider. #1 The flanges are T3/4. They only accept ON CENTER housings. So, you would have to find the T3/4 housing (hard to find)or get a T3 -T4 adapter. Now the turbo is higher mounted. #2 the wastegate flanges are for the old style Tial 38MM gates. the 44's won't mount up. Banks has the 44 flanges. Other than that they look nice. Just try a search for a on-center T3/4 housing turbo. Very rare.

I am looking at these for my car as the mild steel log manifolds I am using will not cut it and are not adequately scavenging exhaust from the #1 and #2 cylinders. I have Turbonetics T04B turbos. Will these fit this manifold? I do believe them to be on center housings. Wish I could buy Nelson's headers as well but these seem like a good option and are much cheaper than Gale Bank's manifolds.

68Formula
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
I like that they are cast iron and bolt on, but given they mimic a log style rather than a ram horn style, doesn't seem they'd be very flow efficient (which on a Turbo application is very important). Also very important is the timing of the exhaust pulses reaching the turbo, so equal length runners should work better. Any flow experts that care to comment?

alnoe
11-19-2009, 06:20 PM
In the past, I worked for a company that made turbo LS manifolds for a company which went bankrupt (not related to the turbo kits we did!). The manifold was a log style and they had customers make 750+ HP with them without issues. I have asked if this matters whether it is a log style, or equal length, etc and most knowledgable turbo kit designers have said, unless you want to make over 1,000 HP, it won;t really make a differnce.

And, also keep in mind that equal length headers do not mean equal flow. I did disprove this by looking at a "equal length header" and flowing it on a Superflow bench. The tubes are equal length, but one had 4-5 90 degree bends whereas the "least bent pipe" has two bends-one out of the head and one at the collector. The tubes flowed much, much differently, and powerwise did not make any more power than a good fitting, "equal bend or close" header.

So, I think if you are looking for every last single, HP then yes it could matter.

I personally would worry more about fit, and durability. Turbo manifolds and headers take a beating due to thermal cycling and shock loading from not supporting the turbo and that in turn beating the manifold to death.

Thanks
Al

DeltaT
11-19-2009, 07:49 PM
wrong thread, sorry

johnny rockett
11-24-2009, 07:27 PM

Not really true......I have some cast manifolds and am using a pair of NON centered turbos. I would post the pics but not sure how to do this so if somebody will send me thre email I will shoot you some pics..

johnny rockett
11-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I like that they are cast iron and bolt on, but given they mimic a log style rather than a ram horn style, doesn't seem they'd be very flow efficient (which on a Turbo application is very important). Also very important is the timing of the exhaust pulses reaching the turbo, so equal length runners should work better. Any flow experts that care to comment?

Not important as you may think......the manifold is always under pressure and I agree that unless your trying to make more than 1000 hp it wont make a difference.

Headers may look cool but they are a pain and will crack in time and need support....the beauty of the cast pieces is no cracking no support and are QUIET.

The cast manifolds have there place......I have had the stainless custom headers and the cast pieces and I am telling you for a street car that you enjoy driving dailey.its hard to beat those cast manifolds...

A guy named OZ cheek in Vegas makes a real nice swept cast manifold which looks better and may flow better than the box style you have shown....if you need to get ahold of him I can get you his email..

I have his manifolds and a pair of non centered manifolds under a stock Camaro flat hood......

Turbo67camaro
11-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Not really true......I have some cast manifolds and am using a pair of NON centered turbos. I would post the pics but not sure how to do this so if somebody will send me thre email I will shoot you some pics..

Here are the pictures he mentioned:

mnm99
11-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Here are the pictures he mentioned:

Do you have a front view of both of them?

Turbo67camaro
11-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Those were the only 2 pictures he sent me. We'll have to wait for John to check back.

johnny rockett
11-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Yes I think I do......I thought I had sent three pictures.....and one was the front veiw..maybe he did not get it...send me an adress and you can post it...

mnm99
11-28-2009, 11:40 AM
[email protected]

Thanks