PDA

View Full Version : Can you put leaf springs on backwards?

Lawrence
04-03-2005, 03:50 AM
My 68 camaro feels odd under braking, and I was going to get all the front end geometry checked out. Was stood a fair distance from the back of it yesterday and noticed the passenger side rear is higher than the drivers side. I got under and measured it all up, and one spring has 1 1/4" more arch than the other. They look quite new, and were on the car when I got it. Just wondered if you could fit one the wrong way round or something, or whether I just need new ones? :dunno:

chicane67
04-03-2005, 04:10 AM
The spring eyes dont allow the spring itself to be installed backwards (dimentionally different diameters for front and rear bushings).

The fact that you have a height problem is actually, and unfortunately, almost normal. Weather or not, being new, dosent give you any indication of being new or not. But by your measurements, it looks like you either need to have them re-arched, or replaced.

Todds69
04-03-2005, 05:38 AM
Seemings that they look new doesn't mean that someone may have replaced a single leaf or two on the passenger side, or even the entire spring itself. If it were me I would just replace both with new ones.