PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size, brakes and backspacing

custom69
08-24-2004, 09:53 AM
First time listing, long time reading. This question might have been asked before but probably missed it. Does the backspacing change when you have a 69 camaro with all drum brakes and change to all disc brakes (either Baer or Wilwood brakes)? I want to run either 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear or 18x8 front and 18x9.5 rear. I have a 12 bolt in the rear and for now all stock front suspension. I plan on lowering the front and rear. If I change anything in the front suspension will this affect my front wheel backspacing? I hope that I don't sound like a complete frickin idiot I just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks,
Custom69

TitoJones
08-24-2004, 03:50 PM
First off, Welcome to the forum.

Disc brakes typically add about a 1/4" to the overall track width. So if you are running 4 wheel drums, and add a Baer kit to the front, it will add a 1/4" of backspacing to your wheels.
I'd need to see what the overall plan was to the car- suspension wise, to help make a better guess on your backspacing needs.
Tyler

custom69
08-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks for your reply. I was planning on upgrading to tube contol arms and use the hotchkis 2" lowering spring for a big block chevy and the rims I want to use are the Boyds smoothie 2 ( I know that alot of you say that it the same old style of rim that everyone is using but I really like this style for my 69 camaro). If anyone has any other suggestions for rims or suspension combos let them fly because I am open to other options.

Thanks,
Custom69