PDA

View Full Version : G body front swap

rebelgtp
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Alright here is the deal my Cutlass ('80) is missing the front bumper (and rear) driver side is seriously wrinkled. I am having trouble finding parts local to replace them.

I was at the yard the other day and they had a Regal limited (83 I think) and 81 Cutlass both with good front ends. The Regals header panel was busted but all the rest was in really good shape (think the damage was from in the yard).

Would it be possible to swap on either of those fronts and or rear bumpers? I know they would not match up 100% and I don't mind the frankenstein look as long as the car is complete.

What all would I need? Just the fenders, hood, bumpers, lights etc or are the core support and inner fenders different as well?

I kinda dig the idea of the Regal front with the rear quarters of the 80 Cutty. Throw in some GNX flares, and aluminum stock car style spoiler...hehe

I know it might be considered sacrilege but hey its not a perfect car, started off as a diesel now has a 301 and will be getting a 355.

TPI Monte SS
09-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm not sure on the rear bumper, but if you swap the whole front clip, it might not look too bad. I'm also not sure about the body line at the doors, if it flares out at all (I think they're pretty similar though). If you have a way to transport it, it's much easier to swap the whole front clip, leaving the fenderwells and core support all attached. You can remove the core support bolts through the frame, then IIRC there's two on each side that go into the firewall through the fenderwell, one on each side at the top of the fender that goes into the body, and one lower bolt on each side at the bottom of the fender. Disconnect the front electrical harness from the fusebox, remove the hood latch cable, and slide it right off the donor.