PDA

View Full Version : Headlight upgrades

bwarren
04-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Interested in everyone's feedback as to what's available and maybe more importantly what work's for headlight upgrades for a 68 Camaro (7" round). I've read a bunch of information from different posts BUT still have a few questions. I like the look of the blue do tri-bar but understand you only get ONE beam (hi or low). I've also read that it's probably a good idea to put in a relay with the upgrade. Are there any tri-bars that give you a hi and lo beam? Are any of the upgrades "plug-in" compatible? What are the DSE Bright Drivers like? Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd also like to hear what everyone's using. Thanx!

WS6
04-05-2005, 05:54 PM
have you thought about going with an H4 headlight instead? if you go with 100/80w bulbs i can promise the high beams will be enough. i was considering putting driving lights on my 96 formula since the headlights suck. i changed to H4 headlights and use 100/80w bulbs. i like my decision. my high beams rock. now if you just want driving lights for the look as well as functionallity then id suggest Hella, Cibie(pronouced CBA), or Bosch, not Catz, Pilot, or PIAA.

heres some good reading on lighting for cars. www.danielsternlighting.com

i just copied that from a different post i made a minute before hand. the H4 housings look like normal housings, not the nice looking ones that have clear glass. they may have a slightly less convex appearence to them. with these youll have to run relays, but you can run 100/80w bulbs too and those are good.

as for info on the specific lights you were asking about, im sorry i cant help. hope the info can be used though

CoryM
04-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Ill assume the link is talking about adding relays. This is a VERY good idea as GMs wires were too small and the switch too sloppy when new to give good lighting. Not to mention after 30 yrs of corrosion. You will see a gain of about 1V at the headlights which will make then noticably brighter. Do that upgrade and get some H3s (go for about $100Cdn and have high and lowbeams) and you will be bright enough for night driving. The H3s will fit in with no mods so you can install them first if the relay wiring is too much for you.
Afraid I dont know too much about the exotic lights except that they are too bright and prone to attracting officers' attention.
Cheers.

[EDIT] mixed up my bulbs :screwy:

zbugger
04-05-2005, 07:02 PM
This is what I put on my car. They really do a great job of lighting the road.

http://www.iguanamotors.com/store_item_detail.cfm?item_id=40&CATEGORY_FILTER=CATEGORYSEARCH&category_id=6

ViperBlue68
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
I have the blue dot tri bar deals at home... Zoops I believe from Summit... they do not fit :pat: looks like I have to :machine: cut the factory housing which I didnt wanna pull off to modify... rather just get the ones from DSE... :dunno: does anyone know if those need modification to install?

zbugger
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Most aftermarket headlight upgrades need to get the hole in the headlight bucket opened up a little. It's mainly because of the seal that they use around the housing. I had to open up mine a little. The DSE lights I think are basically high beam bulbs. The lights I have are the H4 bulbs that have both.

WS6
04-07-2005, 05:53 PM
yes if you choose to put the seal over the back of the H4 lights you will need to open the bucket up. the seal isnt needed if the car really doesnt get wet back there from washing or driving in the rain.

and no that link is way more than relay info. it explains why american lights suck. why H4s are so much better, how HIDs work, and hwo to understand lighting info. i suggest everyone intersted in better understanding lighting and how to know what is good or not read it.

USAZR1
04-07-2005, 06:49 PM
If you want brighter lights on these old cars,check this out.
http://www.madelectrical.com/catalog/rly-1.shtml

Railing68
04-08-2005, 07:31 PM
After reading all the posts including the links, I have a few questions. Is the reflective quality of the glass what makes them so expensive, Cibie, Hella etc? Are the higher wattage bulbs legal, especially the blue hue. I was considering running H-4 w/ 55/60 and some relays. Will this be pretty bright without being a cop magnet, or are 80+ more in order? Thanks, SS

ss dave
04-09-2005, 09:35 AM
i have tried four different types of headlites on my 69 Camaro. First the originals, second Classic Ind Diamond Cut- didn't work w/o cutting and mods, third Classic Ind supposedly plug-and-play upgrade halogens, still had to modify. Finally DSE, they WORKED! No mods just fit right, look great and improve performance. More $$ but worth it.

WS6
04-09-2005, 05:05 PM
i have heard that some places are craking down on the brighter headlights. i think its more the HIDs that simply blind other drivers. Audi's are the worst i think. i have had my 100/80w H4s in my formula for over a year and i dont have any flashing me or any problems.

see the H4s have a different light pattern that when adjusted correctly do not shine high enough to blind anyone else. because we being in america are so used to the pattern that we have had for so long the H4s will seem weird at first. you no longer are lighting up the things that you dont need to see. so consequently you will nto be lighting up the interior of the car in front of you. the road and the sides of the road will eb better lit. i preferre this. hit the hi beams and it simply lights everything up.

zbugger
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
see the H4s have a different light pattern that when adjusted correctly do not shine high enough to blind anyone else. because we being in america are so used to the pattern that we have had for so long the H4s will seem weird at first. you no longer are lighting up the things that you dont need to see. so consequently you will nto be lighting up the interior of the car in front of you. the road and the sides of the road will eb better lit. i preferre this. hit the hi beams and it simply lights everything up.

Ditto. Thats why I like mine so much. I never had anyone flash their lights at me with mine, but I have had people move out of my way. However, when I put a set of Silverstar lights in my sister's Geo, I did get a couple flashes. Kinda funny how that works.