PDA

View Full Version : RTTH V EFI Tuning by Norris Motorsports

Mike Norris
08-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Hey All,

I will be heading up to the event this year with John Parsons and hanging with the Prodigy folks as always. If anyone need any EFI tuning while at the event, I will do waht I can for you.

I can handle about any tuning software with Accel Thruster & Gen7, FAST XFI and factory LS based computers as my primary.

As far as dyno tuning, I want to say the closest dyno is maybe an hour away and not sure if it is feasible to consider doing any dyno tuning or not. Perhaps Bill may know of a closer dyno facility.

I will be getting into town later Thursday, so feel free to contact me and let me know if you have any questions or want to set up getting together.

See y'all there :cheers:

Mike Norris

Finch
08-30-2009, 03:34 PM
That is a great offer Mike, I am sure there will be a few people taking you up on this one including me. I just fired my L92 for the first time today so could at least use 10 minutes of your time to give some recommendations.

See you soon......................

oestek
08-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Great offer Mike. Good thinkin'!

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
That is a great offer Mike, I am sure there will be a few people taking you up on this one including me. I just fired my L92 for the first time today so could at least use 10 minutes of your time to give some recommendations.

See you soon......................

What ecm / harness you using Brian?

Ron S
08-30-2009, 04:37 PM
The whole reason I didn't put my L92/6.0 in my Mustang is that I wouldn't have time to tune it. I've desided I've got too little time anyway, considering all the rest of the things this car needs. You might get swamped Mike with all the LSX powered cars there. Ron

Finch
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey Frank,

The combo I am running is as follows

2007 L92 with LS3 Intake, Fast 90MM TB and 85MM SLP Mass air. For ECM I am running an Fbody LS1 unit that has been tuned by Vengeance to match the stage II cam. For the harness I had a custom one built by tech rods to match the various parts I have.

It fired the first lick so everything seems to be getting along. RTTH will be the break in run for it so hopefully the bugs can be flushed out before the long haul to sema.

Steve1968LS2
08-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Hey All,

I will be heading up to the event this year with John Parsons and hanging with the Prodigy folks as always. If anyone need any EFI tuning while at the event, I will do waht I can for you.

I can handle about any tuning software with Accel Thruster & Gen7, FAST XFI and factory LS based computers as my primary.

As far as dyno tuning, I want to say the closest dyno is maybe an hour away and not sure if it is feasible to consider doing any dyno tuning or not. Perhaps Bill may know of a closer dyno facility.

I will be getting into town later Thursday, so feel free to contact me and let me know if you have any questions or want to set up getting together.

See y'all there :cheers:

Mike Norris

I call dibs! lol

I still have that intermitant "RPM hunt" at idle.. Thought it could have been a bad sensor but I'm not sure which one. I switched to my back-up MAF.

Anyways, you can have a shot at it.

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Just wondered. I am trying to use a GMMP unit but it seems to be un tuneable, so I wondered if by chance that was what you were using.

So your motor is a 24 tooth reluctor? Camle TB?

Finch
08-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Just wondered. I am trying to use a GMMP unit but it seems to be un tuneable, so I wondered if by chance that was what you were using.

I assume you meant Cable TB....if so then yes. Went the old school route to keep it simple. For the 58 tooth reluctor I am just running the Lingenfelter conv box.

Also all the VVT is gone and replaced with LS3 front cover and timing chain.

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Ahh, the Lingenfelter box explains the LS1 ECM. I have not tried one yet.

Thanks

01badz28
08-31-2009, 04:55 AM
Ahh, the Lingenfelter box explains the LS1 ECM. I have not tried one yet.

Thanks

They work great. I've got a similar setup to Finch's in my car.

Steve1968LS2
08-31-2009, 06:07 AM
I didn't know you could use an LS1 box on a 58 reluctor engine.. they must of extensively reprogramed it.

You also have to be careful since some shops LOCK the ECU when they are done.

Bow Tie 67
08-31-2009, 06:19 AM

Not true, I have been playing with a beta version of HP tuners that can access the GMPP E67 PCM. My current setup is an 08 L92, LS7 cam, LS3 intake and TB. The engine has 3k on it this summer and I have learned to drive around an issue where the engine will go into limp mode. ( actually a hunting idle with no ETB response until reset ) Currently I believe that the MAF needs to be scaled / tuned to correct this. The funny thing is yesterday I drove the car to induce the problem so I could get a log to see it, and the car performed flawless. I drove the sh*t out of it, burnouts through 3 gears, 120+ mph blasts, nada.

01badz28
08-31-2009, 06:46 AM
I didn't know you could use an LS1 box on a 58 reluctor engine.. they must of extensively reprogramed it.

Not really. The trigger box just makes the PCM think the engine has a 24x wheel and 1x cam timing setup. My L92 / LS3 fired up and held an idle first time it fired up. It was even drivable on the stock tune. Day we got it tuned we spent more time chasing a bank to bank AFR issue (caused by some crappy FAST USCAR to MINITIMER fuel injector adaptors) than on tuning.

Mike Norris
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey Finch, I would say call me when you get into town so we can try to coordinate things.

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to seeing you up there.

No problem Steve, see you there and maybe I can spend more time her then I did at SEMA.

Frank, did you get that package ordered today??

Ron S, If I get busy with a lot of folks I can at least pay for my trip and make some new friends :)

I have used the LPE box and it works okay, just keep the box away from any heat as it can have issues.

See y'all up there.

Mike Norris

ProdigyCustoms
08-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Ordered and on the way. hould be tuning mid next week

HectorM52
09-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Dang...

...do you know anything about programming an LT1 motor?

Finch
09-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Hey Finch, I would say call me when you get into town so we can try to coordinate things.

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to seeing you up there.

No problem Steve, see you there and maybe I can spend more time her then I did at SEMA.

Frank, did you get that package ordered today??

Ron S, If I get busy with a lot of folks I can at least pay for my trip and make some new friends :)

I have used the LPE box and it works okay, just keep the box away from any heat as it can have issues.

See y'all up there.

Mike Norris

Mike,

Do we need to bring our own tuning software for you to use?

Thanks,

andrewb70
09-04-2009, 07:34 AM

The GMPP harness kits with the E67 ECU can be tuned if the ECU is first flashed with a VIN using a GM Tech II scan tool. Flash it with a VIN from a 2006 CTSV.

Andrew

Jim Nilsen
09-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I have to get my butt in gear and really make sure I can get there. I will limp my way down there if I have to. I am so close yet so far away to getting things done.

I sure hope the in the box tune from Accel will get me down there, if not maybe I will be able to get a different tune online? Is that possible Mike?

If my car starts up this weekend or the middle of next week I know I can make it from there.

Work work work on the Cormaro, I know I can I know I can........

stealth71
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm jealous. Have fun all. Mike will get you squared away.

Bill Howell
09-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Sorry guys, the one thing I don't have available or even close by is a dyno. There are a couple in Knoxville area, but nothing real convenient. Maybe Shafi knows of one close to him.

Steve1968LS2
09-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Sorry guys, the one thing I don't have available or even close by is a dyno. There are a couple in Knoxville area, but nothing real convenient. Maybe Shafi knows of one close to him.

How about a long road with no cops?? ;)

yellowrallys
09-05-2009, 06:20 AM
How about a long road with no cops?? ;)

That works too! There's gotta be some up in them hills.

ProdigyCustoms
09-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Hard to find straight road. I will never forget RTTHs 2 Mike Norris tuning on the fly in Project Prodigy DURING the Run thru the Hills Cruise while Michael drove! We had switched to a brand new FAST system and had zero tune time, so at the last minute Mike Norris jumped in the truck and rode up to Pigeon Forge with us. That year was a especially "spirited" Cruise, almost like a Rally. We were behind Michael and Mike in another car and I laughed my ass off watching Mike Norris head bob side to side looking down at the laptop screen with no idea of the coming corners, LOL! Trying to watch the screen and type new commands, ROFLMAO! By golly though, Prodigy was tuned by the end of the cruise!

That Norris guy is pretty good!

Mike Norris
09-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Finch, I have the software and cables for HPT, LS1 Edit, Accel DFI & Thruster and FAST XFI. I also have a cable for MOTEC. For any LT1, Holley, Edelbrok and so on I would say bring your laptop, cable and software and I can use it.

Andrew, my latest version of HPT will support the GM crate ECM's with no problem now. But you are correct, we could flash in an 06 CTS-V program and go from there. I will also have my Tech2 with me.

Jim Nilsen, let me know and I can get you a base program if need be and then go through it when we are here.

stealth71, come on up!!!

Thats what I thought Bill. You need one for the Toy Shop :)

I do not mid the long roads as I am not the one getting the citation.

Tuning Prodigy was a bit of a ride for sure. Not sure if I want to do that again :rolleyes:

See ya all there.

Mike Norris

Steve1968LS2
09-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't really need a dyno.. my WOT is fine, I need some "down low" help with idle and my intermittant surge issue.

Mike Norris
09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey All,

I will be flying in Thursday about 3-4PM or so. I have had a lot of folks interested and asking prices so I figured I should at least toss out some generic pricing.

I will say the least will be $75-150 and consider that just some minor checks and tweaking.

For actual tuning it is usually based on time but I can say it could be in a range of $150-300. For some serious driving and tuning it could be more then that.

Keep in mind that at my shop a full chassis dyno tune with HP Tuners runs $400-500 generally.

At the shop, FAST XFI and Accel DFI/Thruster can be anywhere from $600-700 on the normal side and up to $1500 on the high side. Again it depends on time required for each car.

Hope this helps some folks out and thanks again.

See y'all Thursday :)

Mike Norris

Finch
09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Hey All,

I will be flying in Thursday about 3-4PM or so. I have had a lot of folks interested and asking prices so I figured I should at least toss out some generic pricing.

I will say the least will be $75-150 and consider that just some minor checks and tweaking.

For actual tuning it is usually based on time but I can say it could be in a range of $150-300. For some serious driving and tuning it could be more then that.

Keep in mind that at my shop a full chassis dyno tune with HP Tuners runs $400-500 generally.

At the shop, FAST XFI and Accel DFI/Thruster can be anywhere from $600-700 on the normal side and up to $1500 on the high side. Again it depends on time required for each car.

Hope this helps some folks out and thanks again.

See y'all Thursday :)

Mike Norris

Mike, I am also coming in Thursday afternoon/evening so we can hook up Friday morning if that works best for you. I know it needs some changes to help with the rich condition.

I believe it was originally tuned by vengeance using LS1 edit so hopfully we can work with it.

My cell is 615-372-4406
Thanks,

Mike Norris
09-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Sounds good Finch, see you in the AM.

Mike Norris

Finch
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Thought I would post a little follow-up to this past weekend. Mike and I met up Friday morning and he got right to work on my idle issue and overall lack of power I was complaining about.
After an hour or so of tuning the car now fires at the touch of the key and ildes perfectly even when completly cold, and the power the car now has is unreal from what it was before. I am extremely pleased with the results and suggest if you have a chance to be at the same show with him in the future you take advantage of his services. This was by far the biggest improvement for the money the car received.

He is also a cool dude to just chill with so just another +.......

Thanks again Mike,

YancyJohns
09-24-2009, 04:03 PM
He is also a cool dude to just chill with so just another +...... I Agree :twothumbs

wiedemab
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Very cool!

ProdigyCustoms
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Yeah, hes alright!