PDA

View Full Version : Baby seat

powersstuntworx
08-29-2009, 04:52 PM
OK, I have a question that I'm sure some of you guys have already found a good solution to.
My car is finished, we are to be picking it up tomorrow after church. It's a 2nd gen camaro that my wife and I had built. During the long build process a long came a beautiful little girl:) Madison, are now 19 month old daughter.
Anyhow we built the car to be driven and enjoy as a family. Now that things have changed and our family has grown I need to make sure my baby girl is safe.
I thought about pulling the back seats out and bolting (fab) some anchors in? Something like the newer cars.
Ok gotta go..... wife is B*TCH*NG!!
Any help would be cool!!

Thanks
Powers

GetMore
08-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Not sure, but I think a good baby seat has a 4 point harness built in, so all you need is a lap belt to hold it in place.

Kenova
08-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Most of the newer seats use the lap / three point belt to secure the bottom part of the seat, but you need an anchor on the parcel shelf to secure the tether strap. This will prevent the seat from pivoting forward in the event of an accident. Most new cars have at least one anchor installed with provisions for one or two more.

Ken

BonzoHansen
08-29-2009, 06:06 PM
The OE lap belts in my 77 hold my son's seat in tighter than any of the new cars I have. IMO you have no issues.

powersstuntworx
08-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Ok, cool...... so what I'm hearing is, I'm good for the most part. Just need to anchor the tether strap to the package tray. Cool, I'll just fab a bracket.

Thanks Guys!!

novaderrik
08-30-2009, 11:06 AM
no need to anchor the tether strap. those lap belts will hold the seat really, really tight.

69TAPoser
08-30-2009, 11:45 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/CARSEATJPG-1.jpg

BonzoHansen
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
no need to anchor the tether strap. those lap belts will hold the seat really, really tight.

I agree

DRJDVM's '69
08-30-2009, 03:03 PM
But it wont hurt to do it too...... on my '69 I use the Simpson racing seat shown above, but I also ran the tether up over the seat and made an anchor in the trunk. Its just alittle added protection and pretty easy to do.

Kenova
08-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Wrong wrong wrong!! In the event of an accident the seat WILL pivot forward from the bottom. It does not matter how tight the lap / three point belt is. The more severe the accident, the more severe the motion of the seat. The tether strap is there for a reason.
Good Lord! We're talking about a child's life here. You can't strap them in well enough.

Ken

novaderrik
08-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Wrong wrong wrong!! In the event of an accident the seat WILL pivot forward from the bottom. It does not matter how tight the lap / three point belt is. The more severe the accident, the more severe the motion of the seat. The tether strap is there for a reason.
Good Lord! We're talking about a child's life here. You can't strap them in well enough.

Ken
it's funny how we all made it to adulthood, isn't it?
those tethers are a recent addition to car seats- most cars on the road don't even have provisions to hook them up, and yet millions of kids get strapped into cars without them every day and somehow manage to get home safely.
you are correct that it won't hurt to add them, but it really isn't necessary. when we strapped my niece's car seat into my 94 LHS for a road trip a couple of winters ago, we didn't have any way to hook the tethers up, so we just got the seat as tight as we could and both me and my brother tried as hard as we could to get the seat to go forward, and with both of us pulling on it, it didn't move more than about 6" away from the seat back. the kid wasn't going anywhere if things went bad, and it took about a month for the imprints of the seat to work out of the leather upholstery.

GetMore
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure that the seat being able to tilt a little is a bad thing, anyway. After all, if you get in an accident bad enough to get the seat to move maybe having a little bit of give will help reduce the deceleration force applied to the child. Kind of like a crumple zone.

Twentyover
08-31-2009, 03:09 PM

Ken

Absolutely correct. i'm so concerned i tie mine up and lock them in the closet at home so they don't get hurt!

chicane67
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
The Recaro seat... has been sled tested. It also has adjustable head restraint system... so as they grow in height... they are covered.

Best seat hands down in my opinion.

CarlC
08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
So this works while the young'ns are in this type of seat. In a few years they are in a new booster-style seat that requires a three-point belt to work correctly. They will need this type of belt far longer than a two-point. That's why I took the time to add three-points to the back seat. It makes me a lot more comfortable knowing that they are strapped in with a shoulder belt.

Want to add in a tether? That's simple. Just put in a eye bolt through a reinforced section of the package tray. Remove the eyebolt and plug the hole with a plastic plug when not in use.

68Formula
09-01-2009, 04:39 AM
it's funny how we all made it to adulthood, isn't it?
those tethers are a recent addition to car seats- most cars on the road don't even have provisions to hook them up, and yet millions of kids get strapped into cars without them every day and somehow manage to get home safely.

Yes, and I was a toddler we weren't even buckled in a seat, yet I made it to adulthood. Did that mean it was safe?

There may be millions of kids that make it home safe, there are also thousands that don't because of improper securing while being in an accident.

you are correct that it won't hurt to add them, but it really isn't necessary. when we strapped my niece's car seat into my 94 LHS for a road trip a couple of winters ago, we didn't have any way to hook the tethers up, so we just got the seat as tight as we could and both me and my brother tried as hard as we could to get the seat to go forward, and with both of us pulling on it, it didn't move more than about 6" away from the seat back. the kid wasn't going anywhere if things went bad, and it took about a month for the imprints of the seat to work out of the leather upholstery.

Two grown men, doesn't matter how big, cannot simluate the forces of a 45mph impact. Unless you can say, you've been in an accident and the kid was unharmed, this proves nothing.

silver69camaro
09-01-2009, 05:10 AM
Wait a minute, I don't understand this thread. Read the instructions for the car seat, and install it per those instructions. No questions asked. That's all there is to it.

All baby seats I've seen (not boosters...) allow the use of lap belts, and that method is pretty much the same as the newer LATCH system. Why make this any more complicated? Changing the rules or modifying how it's done only has the potential of making thing worse.

BonzoHansen
09-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Wait a minute, I don't understand this thread. Read the instructions for the car seat, and install it per those instructions. No questions asked. That's all there is to it.

All baby seats I've seen (not boosters...) allow the use of lap belts, and that method is pretty much the same as the newer LATCH system. Why make this any more complicated? Changing the rules or modifying how it's done only has the potential of making thing worse.

That would be my opinion. The seat my 5 year old sits in is buckled in exactly as directed via the lap belt.

mdprovee
09-01-2009, 06:11 AM
I added a anchor point on the package tray also, one on easch side for each child. My oldest is in a booster seat now, so I purchased a harness for a bus. It is small enough, and uses the lap belts, then anchors to the package tray.

The WidowMaker
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM
+ 1 on reading the instructions. i wouldnt do anything they dont tell you to do. they do the testing, i dont. im actually a firefighter and have lots of people come by the station to have us install them. its insane how some people "think" they need to be installed. we usually install them per the directions, then give send them to an official install site. we're not really allowed to install them, but i wouldnt want my kids riding in a seat the way i usually see them installed.

Tim

6'9"Witha69
09-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Having been T boned by a speeding Mustang who ran a red, I will say proper harnessing is paramount for your children. My barely 3 y/o (at the time) had 2 very small bruises, one on each shoulder. My 7 y/o (at the time) had a booster bottom only and was on the impact side. Hit her head on the window, but otherwise was properly restrained mainly due being at the proper height in the seat/seatbelt. The wife had a bruise on her shoulder from the belt and I had nothing. Proper seating and restraints cannot be overlooked. I asked my wife when we bought the seats why we were spending so much, weren't the other ones (cheaper) capable of the same thing? After that day I will NEVER EVER even think of cheaping out of a safety seat or 'guessing' at the installation of said seat.