PDA

View Full Version : Help....LCA removal - A Body

twolfinger
08-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Guys,

Doing my control arm conversion and was able to get everything off the suspension with the exception of one bolt. The one lower control arm bolt is stuck. It is the inner one closest to the firewall. I managed to get it to the point where the end of the bolt is almost flush with the frame mount. So a good 1.5 inches is exposed on the inner side of the frame mount. She ain't budging from there.

What is the best approach? tried to take a sawzall to the inside of the frame mount between the frame mount and th bushing. Snapped two blades and now asking for help.

Tom

shizzy
08-29-2009, 12:55 PM
did you soak it with penetrating fluid? mine were pretty well rusted in. I let them soak for a few days.

might need to heat things up as well.

72Cutty
08-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, it's been a few months since I did mine, but I soaked them in penetrating oil. I think I also stuck a screwdriver or old socket extension down the bolt hole and tapped it with a hammer. Is there enough room to do that?

317millhand
08-29-2009, 07:15 PM
May need to torch it. or try to get a jigsaw blade in there

shep
08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Use a punch a little smaller than the bolt and drive the bolt out. Might need to pry on it from the other side as well. Basically you are going to have to force it out. I am guessing that you mushroomed the thread end of teh bolt and when it got to the metal sleeve in the bushing it got stuck. You can try to drive it back the other way and file or cut off the damaged end. Then drive it out after using some penetrating oil on it.

novaderrik
08-30-2009, 12:23 AM
cut the bolt in half and pound it back into the bushing.

JRouche
08-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Ouch, been there, a few times. I always smear my lower CA bolts with the great napa anti seize now.

But what I do in that sitch is get the combo wrench out. You have some bolt head sticking out right? I grab the size for that head so it slips over the head and beyond it. Rotate the wrench a lil when its under the bolt head so it catches. Then with a heavy hammer start tapping (hammering if there is room) at the wrench. Close as possible to the bolt head. It takes a lil time, but it will slowly ease out. Sounds like you already eased it out so the end of the bolt is flush with the frame. And yeah, it doesnt sound like you can gat a punch in there to drive it out or you would have :) Just hook the bolts head with a wrench, I like the closed end of a combo wrench but the opened end will work too. You can use a smaller wrench if you use the open end, just big enough to get around the bolt diameter. But by using the closed end it will kinda hook the bolt head and wont slip off while yer tapping (hammering).. Dont forget the anti-seize when you put NEW bolts in. JR

twolfinger
08-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the feedback.

JR, I am going to try that route next. If that doesn't work I am going to torch it and cut it flush on both ends and then hammer the arm down and hopefully the pressure will get it to pop.

Tom