PDA

View Full Version : Question: People who have build Pro-touring Trucks

06RangerSTX
08-27-2009, 04:13 AM
I have a question, those of you who have built Pro-touring trucks, wether if it was a mini or full sized... Has anyone driven their trucks at Open track days or has Autocrossed their trucks???

Eric Howell
08-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Adam (HectorM52) ran his at Road Atlanta and does some Auto x. I'll let him post the videos, you will be impressed.

Here is another guy that was the regional champ in his class.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/515521

Some of his videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/devilboys10

You should check out the site in my sig. I know you were a member of the old site that never worked.

06RangerSTX
08-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I have seen his Youtube videos before, I think it is awesome what he is doing, the track that he normally drives on is really short but looks like a lot of fun, I would love to see more tracks like that here state side...

I will have to check out the new Pro-Touring S-10 site, I feel like a outsider though being a Ford Ranger owner...

bbcc
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks, unless the coordinater owes you a favor. The truck could be an ex-NASCAR truck series and they will still tell you to leave it in the parking lot.

My suggestion to you, check out your local events before you start building. My plans for a sick track vehicle have now become a very uncomfortable street truck. I assumed that since dudes like hector and greencactus competed it was no big deal, and that lack of planning bit me in the arse.

Cheers, Ryer

John Wright
08-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks, unless the coordinater owes you a favor. The truck could be an ex-NASCAR truck series and they will still tell you to leave it in the parking lot.

My suggestion to you, check out your local events before you start building. My plans for a sick track vehicle have now become a very uncomfortable street truck. I assumed that since dudes like hector and greencactus competed it was no big deal, and that lack of planning bit me in the arse.

Cheers, RyerWhat do you think that is all about?....sounds like a tough pill to swallow for PT truck owners

The Stickman
08-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I built this many years ago. I started using it for AutoX and was talked into doing drivers school/ time trials with it. Turns out it was even better on a road course than it was at AutoX. It didn't look like much but it sure did work. And the looks made it even more fun when running down much better cars in the braking zones and thru the twisties. But there were some clubs that would not let me run with them. The PCA and BMW clubs wouldn't even give me a look. Now funny story is that my first AutoX with the one Corvette region. I show up and drive up to the entrance where they had a barrle to keep regular people out of the lot. I pull up and the guy asks me if I am here to AutoX with a weird look on his face. I say yes and he let's me in. Now they ran the whole weekend of Memorial day weekend. Sat and Sun were AutoX and Mon was the road course and this was Sat and I was by myself. So Sunday the wife and I show up and during the day one of the Corvette guys comes up to her while I was on the course and says "Ya know yesterday when he showed up in that truck we all kinda laughed. Until we saw him run" After that not only the Corvette club but the SCCA region welcomed me with open arms and even wanted me to run the road course with them after only meeting me for two days. But I will agree not every group will be so inviting.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/12/ebay3801-1.jpg

1offwizard
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
This truck is/was from AZ and it ran road courses with the best of them. My buddy Charles painted it. (This was quite a few years back!)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/autoartstudio128-1.jpg

Eric Howell
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I got some news from my local sanctioning body that shattered my universe. I was informed that under no circumastance shall a truck be allowed to compete. This includes all auto-x, time attack, and open track events. Apparently even the private auto-x's that local clubs put on will not allow trucks,
When did this happen? I have a friend in Edmonton that autocrosses his S10.

*edit* the last one he ran was in late July.

06RangerSTX
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I must be lucky, both Ohio Valley Region SCCA and Western Ohio Region SCCA Welcomes me to run with them... I would love to stay H-Stock but have a higher center of gravity :( I wish I had a ZQ8 S-10...

Now running with NASA or SCCA road courses might be a little interesting, just might have to find out ;) I have heard that the BMW/Porsche clubs are not too friendly to outsiders with odd vehicles...

That mid-50's truck would be awesome to see on the road course!!!

I have a friend in the New England states that runs a Ford Ranger with a small block Ford motor... he has some pictures and videos on youtube... quite awesome to watch, especially when he is passing porsche boxsters... his name is Matt Boshar...

bbcc
08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
When did this happen? I have a friend in Edmonton that autocrosses his S10.

*edit* the last one he ran was in late July.

Got the news on sunday, while nursing a wicked hang-over. Wasn't a good day for me.

Would that happen to be Tyson aka "rentedmule"? I'm buddies with him aswell. I know he auto-x's with some local enthusiasts but I don't believe it's a sanctioned event, or classed for that matter. Just a bunch of dudes setting up cones on a private lot. I'll have to talk to him more about it when he gets back into town.

I'll still build my truck, but just a bit more tame than I was planning.

06ranger, that's good news. Hope to see some sweet build and action pics when you get em!

rentedmule
08-27-2009, 09:06 PM
That sucks man! I hadn't heard that. I run events under the Alberta Solo Association. They don't necessarily care if it's a truck - their only concern is for safety so it has to be reasonably low and pass the regular tech for Solo 2. They request that you take it easy on your first few runs so they can assess whether it's OK. The Canadian Syclone/Typhoon Nationals have even hooked up with them for the next event in mid September which should be a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLxZC60V7I

I run at about 1 min 40 seconds in that vid.

I'm not fast by any stretch but I also get this same comment every time I run

"...when he showed up in that truck we all kinda laughed. Until we saw him run"

06RangerSTX
08-28-2009, 03:07 AM
It will be a while before I have pictures of the project due to lack of a garage, I thought about doing the project in stages, put the motor/transmission in and get it running, move to suspension for 2nd stage, Body/Paint for the 3rd Stage...

bbcc
08-28-2009, 07:13 AM
That sucks man! I hadn't heard that. I run events under the Alberta Solo Association. They don't necessarily care if it's a truck - their only concern is for safety so it has to be reasonably low and pass the regular tech for Solo 2. They request that you take it easy on your first few runs so they can assess whether it's OK. The Canadian Syclone/Typhoon Nationals have even hooked up with them for the next event in mid September which should be a blast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxLxZC60V7I

I run at about 1 min 40 seconds in that vid.

I'm not fast by any stretch but I also get this same comment every time I run

Ya I was talking to the dude who runs the show at stratotec. I'm sure by the time i finish the blazer there will be a few more options made available. If Castrol ever puts good to their word on their track.

06ranger, I'm doing my build on the drivway. It's not even flat, and no where near level. My build is going in stages aswell. Front suspension done by fall, engine and trans will be built over winter, spring will be rear suspension, summer is interior and cage, then fall will be body work. It sucks not being able to work on it at night or when it's ****ty outside, but you just have to keep working on it.

rentedmule
08-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Ry - I have a good friend in town who races with several different organizations and he warned me about stratotec. He said they can be very unfriendly towards unconventional vehicles and even rookies in general and that their rules are super strict. It could be that the guy you were talking to was on the extreme end of that scale and the option is still open if you make a good case.

06RangerSTX
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
unfortunately, there are a ton of people who do not want to see a truck on the track, they all makes jokes about it when you ask about people who want to drive their truck on the track, they say that they will take out their lifted Suburbans onto the track and ask if it is ok for them to drive at insane amounts of speed...

I will probably do the swap at my parent's house, they have an old barn that I can use while I am working on the truck...

bbcc
08-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I will probably do the swap at my parent's house, they have an old barn that I can use while I am working on the truck...

Sweet

Ya it's true. I know the rules were meant to keep jackasses in lifted vehicles out, but I'll try and make a case when the time comes.

Ty, this guy apparenty runs the show at stratotec. Came off super douchey, and even my bud who owns the sick miata told me if i wanted to race there i better get something common.

BTW, when are you back in town. I'd like to grab a beer with ya and chat about the sy/ty nats and other truck stuff!

Ryer

tymbom
08-29-2009, 09:46 PM
So basically if I build a killer truck, the only places I can run it are track days, Nevada Open Road Races, and Bonneville?? No auto-crossing?? That's lame. If it fits the safety regulations and I'm paying an entry fee, I should be able to run anything. Heck you can run a Zamboni in the GRM 2k whatever cheap challenge...:machine:I'm fired up now...
I always thought auto-cross was run watcha brung.

bbcc
08-30-2009, 03:22 PM
For the most part it is run whatchya brung. Providing it passes tech. I just have douches running the show in my town. Having only one road track within a 1000km radius sucks too.

tymbom
08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
I hear ya on the suckage, I'm a truck man from the heart so I wanna build a hot rod truck, but I want to do everything... Not just cruise to the burger stand.

06RangerSTX
08-31-2009, 03:20 AM
In the SCCA; they should have a street modified or a unlimited class that is a catch all type of scenario... I know SCCA also has trucks classified into what class they are, but not usually much beyond stock though, There is a Florida Region SCCA that has a regional class call Truck Racing (TR) they have Ford Lighnings and Dodge SRT-10 trucks running... I found a SCCA site that talked about it, but usually trucks like the Extreme S-10, Syclone, Toyota X and S-Runner, or even S-10s with the ZQ8 suspension package have no problems running I think it was H-Stock or G-stock I am not sure...

I am with you guys, I am a truck lover at heart and would love to see more guys out there get into trucks at autocrosses...

rentedmule
08-31-2009, 06:56 AM
I have to run in SM, mostly because I'm running wide tires. I've looked through the classing sheets and SM seems like the catch all for trucks.

Fesler built
08-31-2009, 07:05 AM
We run the tracks with this

8_YcFhkNs7c

The Stickman
08-31-2009, 09:13 AM
In the SCCA; they should have a street modified or a unlimited class that is a catch all type of scenario... I know SCCA also has trucks classified into what class they are, but not usually much beyond stock though, There is a Florida Region SCCA that has a regional class call Truck Racing (TR) they have Ford Lighnings and Dodge SRT-10 trucks running... I found a SCCA site that talked about it, but usually trucks like the Extreme S-10, Syclone, Toyota X and S-Runner, or even S-10s with the ZQ8 suspension package have no problems running I think it was H-Stock or G-stock I am not sure...

I am with you guys, I am a truck lover at heart and would love to see more guys out there get into trucks at autocrosses...

I used to run ESP in mine. It is a tough class for a TBI V-6 vehicle. Luckily my region has very tight courses and my truck's strong point was handling. It got me the championship one year.

06RangerSTX
08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
That was a impressive video that was posted :)

S-10s are great because they utilize G-body suspension, I want another S-10 so badly right now, I might have a chance to buy a 1999 S-10, 2.2L, 5-speed, it runs but in very bad shape at the moment, but it has the ZQ8 suspension package!!! I thought about setting it up to run something like ESP, or even H-stock...

My Ranger project on the other hand has I-Beam front suspension, much more difficult to tune but will not have too many issues with negative camber :) I personally do not think it would be worth it to change it to a IFS front suspension...

HectorM52
09-08-2009, 05:19 AM
I've never run in a sanctioned event. I ran at the Year One Experience during their track session and have auto-x'ed at RTTH and PSMC (both events through this forum).

I currently don't have time or money to get out there and try to do some SCCA or NASA stuff or even weekend auto-x.

Hopefully my truck now has the exposure it needs to get into any event without any issue.

But if anyone has any questions they just need to look under the hood and behind the wheels.

I also think the fact that I'm no longer a 18-year-old kid helps some too. There is some respect that comes with age.

Keep us posted, I want to see more trucks out there!

Eric Howell
09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
It will be a while before I have pictures of the project due to lack of a garage, I thought about doing the project in stages, put the motor/transmission in and get it running, move to suspension for 2nd stage, Body/Paint for the 3rd Stage...

06ranger, I'm doing my build on the drivway. It's not even flat, and no where near level. My build is going in stages aswell. Front suspension done by fall, engine and trans will be built over winter, spring will be rear suspension, summer is interior and cage, then fall will be body work. It sucks not being able to work on it at night or when it's ****ty outside, but you just have to keep working on it.Mine is in the back yard in the dirt :)
Everything is getting done in stages. First was the front end and now it's the back half.
It would be nice to have a shop or even a 1 car garage but that won't happen without buying a different house.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/87wildside/Somthing%20or%20Other/?action=view&current=100_0425.jpg)

06RangerSTX
09-14-2009, 04:42 AM
My wife is a big killer of building the truck, anytime I bring it up; she questions why I want to build it and thinks I would be miserable if I do build the truck... I love the 50/50 weight distribution of a car, and nor do I have the time or the money to buy the proper tools to do the fabrication needed for a truck to handle well... so again I am on the fence about this... I hate when I am unable to make up my mind...:(

rentedmule
09-14-2009, 06:59 PM
It was an easy decision for me - the truck is the only vehicle I have. I drive it to the events, kick the poo out of it and then drive it to work on Monday! Mine's still relatively stock though so using it as a daily it isn't a big deal.

Randy67
09-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Don't feel too bad, if you drive anything with the name "Jeep", you're excluded from autox (at least SCCA) and track days. Even the Trailblazer SS is on the exclusion list for autox. It's based on some rollover index, which I don't know all the details about.

My "truck" is allowed, but it thinks it is a car (the 67 not the R/T). I had thought about running it in AIX (American Iron Extreme) but I can't since it is titled by the state as a truck. No trucks allowed. :machine:

The Stickman
09-15-2009, 05:53 AM
My wife is a big killer of building the truck, anytime I bring it up; she questions why I want to build it and thinks I would be miserable if I do build the truck... I love the 50/50 weight distribution of a car, and nor do I have the time or the money to buy the proper tools to do the fabrication needed for a truck to handle well... so again I am on the fence about this... I hate when I am unable to make up my mind...:(

I can't speak to the Ford suspension but all I had to do to my S-10 to make it handle well was simply mods that are bolt on. I did large swaybars good shocks and some lowering components as well as playing with removing or moving weight. Now I will admit that to most my truck was not something most would be able to live with. Stripped out interior no A/C no radio. But I loved to listen to the sound of the truck It was also evil to drive in the wet on streets. It didn't mind the wet on a track just the streets. I think alot of it was the Auburn Posi that may as well been a locker. In the end I say build what you will be happy with. As log as you like it then it's worth it.

FirstGenZq8
09-15-2009, 06:07 AM
original topic: this news of the SCCA changing their views on trucks bothers me, but luckily the local events i go to could give two spits. plus, when they see my truck, they usually ask no questions.

newer topic: i know i could have spent my money on a newer camaro, mustang, or corvette and had a better handling vehicle from the get go, but i loved (and will love again if my truck ever gets done) putting the smack to much more expensive cars with better (perceived) suspension set ups and better (perceived) drivers. Stickman said it best: "In the end I say build what you will be happy with. As log as you like it then it's worth it."

The Stickman
09-15-2009, 06:41 AM
original topic: this news of the SCCA changing their views on trucks bothers me, but luckily the local events i go to could give two spits. plus, when they see my truck, they usually ask no questions.

newer topic: i know i could have spent my money on a newer camaro, mustang, or corvette and had a better handling vehicle from the get go, but i loved (and will love again if my truck ever gets done) putting the smack to much more expensive cars with better (perceived) suspension set ups and better (perceived) drivers. Stickman said it best: "In the end I say build what you will be happy with. As log as you like it then it's worth it."

Well said. And if you really want a smile on your face you will get it when a Gen 2 300Zx spins trying to stay in front of you on a road coarse while driving a primer black S-10.

HectorM52
09-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Well said. And if you really want a smile on your face you will get it when a Gen 2 300Zx spins trying to stay in front of you on a road coarse while driving a primer black S-10.
That would be a great site! Need the "in-progress" picture of that one!

06RangerSTX
09-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I would love to see pictures of that one also!!! the Ranger has a huge disadvantage of the front I-beam suspension, all that I would do is springs, lowered beams, large swaybars, either convert the rear suspension to full Mustang leaf spring from earlier mustangs or 3-link the rearend... I was thinking old school on the wheels and have the stock 14" steelies widened and run a 14x8 front and 14x10 rear tire... on first generation Rangers; anything above 16" on wheel sizes just does not look right to me...

novanutcase
09-16-2009, 10:11 PM
IMO the nicest PT Truck out there right now!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B86aNJGYTtw

John

HectorM52
09-17-2009, 05:46 AM
IMO the nicest PT Truck out there right now!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B86aNJGYTtw

John
Looks nice - but doesn't really look like a driver.

novanutcase
09-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks nice - but doesn't really look like a driver.

Take a look at the build then decide.....

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

John

HectorM52
09-17-2009, 08:24 PM
That IS a bad ride!!

06RangerSTX
09-18-2009, 01:09 PM
This is more a trailer queen truck, it is not my cup of tea as you can say...

dadto2jays
09-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Take a look at the build then decide.....

http://www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3

John

That truck is just "truly bad ass"!!!

LMDGUY
09-19-2009, 10:32 AM
i remeber seeing this truck run years (8+) ago here in AZ at a road course near LAFB that was open for a real short time. The truck was pretty fast if I remember corectly. Last I heard it spun out and hit a wall at a event I never saw it again.

This truck is/was from AZ and it ran road courses with the best of them. My buddy Charles painted it. (This was quite a few years back!)
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/autoartstudio128-1.jpg

MonzaRacer
09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
2 ways to do a First gen Ranger, drop Ibeams, air ride, good bars and shocks in front, my next add on would be a parallel 4 link in back with air ride good shocks and adjustable sway bar.
My next incarnation would be do the measuring and graft a Vette front suspension to the factory frame (plenty stiff) use ATS spindles for Gbody and air ride. in back of handling is key , look at 89 up IRS from Tbird/Cougar, the 8.8 center can handle just about anything thrown at it (look at pro 5.0 guys some still use it)and hubs and half shafts can be up graded as needed and the cool part is the Tbird/Cougar set up can be had cheap and its mounting isnt to hard to use. Set one Ranger up with one for a guy and it really made slot truck out of it.
He built a turbo roller motor and it screamed.
Honestly though using AirRides parts regardless of how its built would make it nearly flawless to dial in. see if you can find some info on some of their old street chalenges, they had several truck including the 56 F100 out on a real road course at Putnamville.
Just be prepared to make a fuss, as the squeaky wheel might get a chance.
Oh and a letter to SCCA main office asking for some understanding might bring some responses that say if your truck is XX low or can do this then its legal to run.
build it to have fun and heck if all else fail start your own race org.

06RangerSTX
09-21-2009, 04:38 AM
I have heard some good things about Air ride suspension, not a big fan of the extra weight though that the system adds to the truck... I have seen some big heavy trucks handle quite well using the air ride suspension...

There is a SCCA Improved Touring Truck series in Georgia that Nissans run now, the trucks are just retired old SCCA racers from the series that ran in the late 80's early 90's

I have talked with officials at my local SCCA region about racing a truck and they have stated as long as the truck is properly setup; they do not have a problem of me running

rentedmule
09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Here's a few inspirational pics from a local auto-X event this past weekend. There was lots of HP on hand but the other trucks were mostly stock in the handling department! No pics of mine but I ran a 67.5 and the next quickest truck was the X-runner at 72.2 sec. Winning time at the event was around 57 seconds in a heavily modded wrx sti with a sweet '07 911 turbo on slicks a close second.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/Xrunner-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/cam1-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/Gord3-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/Matt1-1.jpg

HectorM52
09-21-2009, 08:14 PM
Nvm

06RangerSTX
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I love those pictures of the autocross...

Adam; how did you like the Run through the Hills event??? I hope to be able to make it next year...

HectorM52
10-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Adam; how did you like the Run through the Hills event??? I hope to be able to make it next year...
It was awesome, again!

I look forward to the show again next year and hopefully a couple more events around the southeast too.

I would love to see another truck or two. As long as they can represent well!! :)

06RangerSTX
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM
That is great to hear!!! I would love to see more trucks also... hopefully we could get some more guys together for the event...

796spdbu
02-10-2010, 08:09 PM
06ranger,
You still working on your truck?

06RangerSTX
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
I am always working on my truck... it is on hold until this snow clears up though...

Do you have any pictures of your truck that you are working on???

and do not forget to introduce yourself on the Pro-Touring Truck forums...

Fesler built
02-11-2010, 03:40 PM
we build trucks to run hard

check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_YcFhkNs7c