PDA

View Full Version : Shock recommendation

lnirenberg
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM
This is my build--
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59325

I have a global west front suspension and am upgrading the sway bar but need an adjustable shock to firm things up a little bit. This car is too big to handle like an A or F body and as a street car I want to keep it from being too harsh just nice and flat around corners and a firm but not butt breaking ride. Also, given the rear shocks are very visible from the rear of the car they need to have a nice look. Suggestions please.

JRouche
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
First off, I went and looked at the build thread. Very nice car!!!

Now for the shock Q. Solly, I cant recommend a shock, Im not all that up on the various shocks.

But I will say, its a juggle between shocks and spring rates. So many possibilities.

Sometimes I hear that a compliant, softer shock with a more controlling spring (higher rate) is a good mix.

Then Ill read how a softer spring and a controlling shock (tighter damping rate) is the route to go.

How much more confusing can that be. But for a street car, that wont see any track time I tend to think a higher rate spring with some compliant shocks is the way to go. Let the high rate (within reason) springs keep the body controlled and let the shocks control the wheel travel to keep it planted on the road but stiff enough to not let the springs over power them. So to accomplish this you would have to have double adjustable shocks. Keep it slow (stiff) on the droop and faster (soft) on the compression.

So as the heavy spring wants to push the wheel down fast the shock says whoa! Not too fast brother, gives some needed control to the wheel on droop where the spring wants to slam it to the ground.

Then on compression, where the spring is resisting, let it handle that and give the shock a open valving to allow the spring to do its work, after all, is a compression spring. So it will have free rein (SP?) on the compression stroke to do its thing, then on the swing to droop where it wants to hammer the wheel down the shock steps in and say solly, not so fast tough guy LOL

Crazy thinking Im sure. Just seat of the pants thinking on my part. And strictly for a street car.

So, I would use a double adjustable shock at the minimum. Several manufactures out there for that. Matching springs and shocks can be difficult. JR