PDA

View Full Version : 4th Gen seats in A-body

USAZR1
04-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Guys,I have an opportunity to pick up a very nice pair of 4th Gen Camaro buckets. Anyone have an opinion of installing them in my 69 El Camino protourer? Has anyone ever installed a pair of these in an Elky or other A-body? Can you give me any other input about these seats?
Thanks in advance.

Zefhix
04-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Guys,I have an opportunity to pick up a very nice pair of 4th Gen Camaro buckets. Anyone have an opinion of installing them in my 69 El Camino protourer? Has anyone ever installed a pair of these in an Elky or other A-body? Can you give me any other input about these seats?
Thanks in advance.

MMmmm...big pain in the ass. Our floorpan is not even close to being flat so you have to fabricate special brackets that are flat on one side for the seat and then contoured on the other for the floor. I'm putting 97 Power seats form a Trans Am in the velle and the good news is you can take the front seat rear bolt hole closest to the doors on the car and line it up with the same rear holes on the seat track for a good point of reference to make the brackets. It puts the seat in a good position where it motors forward and back enough to accomodate just about anyone. Good luck...haven't make my brackets yet but I will be, very soon ;)

USAZR1
04-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the info,Keith. I think I can fab up some brackets but can you tell me the approximate seat dimensions? How much taller are they than the stock seats? My bench seat is approx. 27-28" tall. I really like the Jegs/Summit seats but they measure 37" tall. That's pretty tall but a Chevelle List member has a pair and is close enough to drive down there and check them out. A P-T forum member has a nice pair of 2002 Camaro seats,in exc.cond,that he wants somewhere around $400-500 for. Does that sound reasonable to you? I can get the Jegs or Summits seats for $435 delivered. The Camaro seats are close enough for me to drive down & pick them up. Any idea what the 4th Gen seats weigh?

Zefhix
04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the info,Keith. I think I can fab up some brackets but can you tell me the approximate seat dimensions? How much taller are they than the stock seats? My bench seat is approx. 27-28" tall. I really like the Jegs/Summit seats but they measure 37" tall. That's pretty tall but a Chevelle List member has a pair and is close enough to drive down there and check them out. A P-T forum member has a nice pair of 2002 Camaro seats,in exc.cond,that he wants somewhere around $400-500 for. Does that sound reasonable to you? I can get the Jegs or Summits seats for $435 delivered. The Camaro seats are close enough for me to drive down & pick them up. Any idea what the 4th Gen seats weigh?

Well, the power seat I would guess is about 30lbs and the non-power about 20lbs. If the Camaro seats are upholstered the way you want them already, you're in great shape at $400...any more is starting to get to pricy considering how easy the cloth ones especially are to come by. As far as the height..not sure. I'll have to check. I choose the Trans Am seats because they have adjustable headrests and the Camaros are just highbacks. I got mine in mint condition (cloth) for 150 for the fronts and back but you can bet I'm probably spending 150-200 a seat for the custom upholstery I'm going with. If they're a good deal, I say go with them. You can always use them for another project or re-sell them. Very comfortable seats....
I take measurements when I get home and get back to you Clint

USAZR1
04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Sounds like I need to drive down and check out those Camaro seats. Thanks for all your help,Keith.