PDA

View Full Version : To paint shop

mtuck
04-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Well I finally got my 67' Camaro off to the paint shop yesterday. I am so excited to finally start to see everything come together. Now all i need to do is pick out a color....hahahaha

I have attached some pics of the car. The last one is the day i pushed it in the garage. It looks like not much has changed but i have already done a lot to it. Luckily i have a great wife. She did not understand why i was spending all this money on part you do not see. I just keep telling her to wait. When it is done she will see my vision. I can not wait to drive it around for a while.

While it is getting painted i have to finish putting the engine together. I hope you all understand how excited i am. I will quit rambling for now.

kman67rsss
04-02-2005, 07:43 AM
looks good buddy. mine is at the frame shot to fix a small tweek somewhere then its back to thge painters for final panel alingment and paint. seems like a lot of 67's are popping up here. i dont think there were too many when i joind a year and a half ago when i bought my 67 RS/SS. are all the 69's gone and these are the next hot year? o well. any color ideas? im dooing hugger orange with black Z28 stripes.

Roger Poirier
04-02-2005, 08:10 AM
The good news, its body condition is better than most that people start out with. The bad news, I don't care what time frame they tell you. It ends up being 2-3 times the cost and length before getting the car back. That gives you plenty of time to work on the details. Momentum is half the battle. R.P.

ViperBlue68
04-02-2005, 03:10 PM
The bad news, I don't care what time frame they tell you. It ends up being 2-3 times the cost and length before getting the car back.Momentum is half the battle. R.P.

:hammer: I agree 110% :machine: "Paint Jail" sucks!!!

mtuck
04-04-2005, 06:40 AM
"Paint jail" does suck, but knowing it will be done is worth the wait. I can only hope that i have gone over everything and should not come up with to much "other things" i need foe the paint job. I have already got the trunk and hood and fenders are all new. I just hope the paint gods are looking out for me.

I have finally picked the colors out this weekend. It is going to be Silver Pearl with Dark Toreador Red Racing strips. Just something a little different.

mtuck
04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
I went to the paint shop last Friday to check up on the progress. Here is what they have done so far. Not bad for 10 days of work. The guys told me they hope to have it back to me in about a month.

JLM
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Looking good. I think your color scheme will look exceptional. You can do so much with silver!

Steve1968LS2
04-11-2005, 12:22 PM
I don't care what time frame they tell you. It ends up being 2-3 times the cost and length before getting the car back. That gives you plenty of time to work on the details. Momentum is half the battle. R.P.

True Story..

Painters = over promise and under deliver

That is why is spent more for a car with paint I like.. i couldn't take paint jail again this soon..

You car look pretty complete.. that should same a lot of time. Keep us updated!! :)

mikes69z
04-14-2005, 06:05 AM
Tuck,

Yea, I agree with Roger. Cost and time is always twice what they estimate - so get ready. I argued with my bodyshop that a 20% overrun can be accepted - but 50% was ridiculous. Yet it seems common from what I'm hearing from other people.

I also thought of pulling my car from this shop. I was paying week to week for the work, and knew about midpoint through the job they were not going to finish anywhere near where they estimated it.

But what happens when you go to another bodyshop - they either won't paint it or won't guarantee it because they know nothing about the bodywork underneath. They usually want to "get into" it before making any commitments. I decided to keep it there - and as a result, the work is guaranteed as long as I own the car.

And all in all, my car looks awesome now that it's done and going back together - It just cost more than I budgeted!

Hope to post some pics to the site soon.

Good luck in getting your car through paint purgatory :-)