PDA

View Full Version : Keeping interior cool

whytry
03-31-2005, 11:18 PM
How do you guys keep the interior cool within your car? I am about to get new carpet and dynamat, but I want to try to reduce the heat that comes in the car through the floorboards. Any products you guys have used and would recommend? Also where did you get what you are using?

For example, my 68 Camaro was pretty warm inside today while driving it, and it was not even that hot here in San Jose, but I was really warm in it. I would love to find a way to try to keep it a little cooler inside the car if possible.,..

Thanks guys!!!

69boo307
04-01-2005, 05:34 AM
I roll down my windows :D

seriously... unfortunately that's the only thing I can do in my chevelle.

Steve1968LS2
04-01-2005, 07:02 AM
I have one layer of Dynamat Xtreme.. then I used some thicker mat in the footwells.. after that we glued down the stock carpet and jute padding.. on top of that we put in the custom carpet.

Needless to say the car feels and sounds pretty solid and did not get overly warm inside.

Also, I dynamated the firewall (and used a firewall pad) and I dynamatted the entire roof, rear quarters and doors.

I also drive with the windows down ;)

Oh, the cooled Recaro drivers seat helps some too.. it was pretty warm yesterday and I stayed cool durring my 3 hour drive.

Tom Welch
04-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I am currently working on a kit for this very application. Once I determine exactly which products work best I will begin marketing them on e-bay. I'm not looking to make a pile of money on each kit but rather to provide results that are woth the money spent. I am studying 5 different products right now and testing is providing interesting findings. More as this develops..

JamesJ
04-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Tom: if you are not already looking at Cascade then you could try them. Many pros say its much better then Dynamat http://www.cascadeaudio.com/ they also have Thermo-Acoustic Blankets

colt zantop
04-04-2005, 07:10 PM
another option is air conditioning. I have Vintage Air run in my 68 camaro. havent had a chance to try it yet(havent drove the car yet) but I have heard good things about this system and hope to test it this week after exhaust gets finshed up.

Flyboy
04-04-2005, 07:46 PM
You could always get the section of exhaust piping that runs under the seats ceramic coated. I would think that would help quite a bit.

Tom Welch
04-05-2005, 06:41 PM
James, I have reviewed as many brands as I can, I have found that most offer similar products at inflated prices. I have compiled a 'kit' of sorts that will provide enough vibration damper material, and enough insulation/heat barrier material to finish 1 car, (first or second gen f-body) with adhesive, aluminum tape, with precut and fitted insulation, the vibration damper is available in bulk size and quantity and it will need to be cut and fit to your desires. Heat shielding is still in the planning and testing stages. Thanks by the way for the Cascade info.

69protour
04-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Hey Tom, I'd be interested in your kit when available! Sounds like you've really put some time into this. Thanks Trond

Tom Welch
04-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Thanks 69protour, We have been researching and testing for a while now, we have found that $ does not always mean better. All product tested and studied work but, ease of installation, waste, cleanup and cost are considered to be just as important as function. For the streetfighters, weight is more important. Heat deflection is paramount for those applications, so no sound deadener or insulation, just heat deflection/reflection.

JamesJ
04-06-2005, 06:38 PM
another place that has lots of stuff and cheap as well, some online store just ship from them. www.mcmaster.com