PDA

View Full Version : End links for Herb Adams Sway Bar

77ta
08-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I have a old Herb Adams 1 and 5/16 inch front sway bar for my 77 TA that is missing the end links. I was told I could use links form a corvette. I find these on the net and was wondering if anyone has done this and could steer me in the right direction.
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=42263&dept_id=1845&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Suspension%2C+Chassis+%26+Steering+-+Sway+Bars+-+ALL-_-42263-_-X#

It looks like I would have to drill new holes in the A-arms to use that piece or am I missing something.

Thanks

a67
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
On a 1st gen the Adams bar uses similar links that you linked too (no pun intended).

The ends of the bar are turned upward with a hole through it. The heim end bolts to this part of the link with the swivel through bolt (does that make sense?).

On the lower A-arm, there is a steel block bolted to the original sway bar link hole. The lower heim end then bolts to it.

On the linked picture the way the heim ends are connected together is the same as the Adams bar. However, the swivel through bolts are different. The bolt head is at the heim joint, with the threaded portion doing the holding (?).

Right now it is pouring buckets of liquid stuff outside. I can get a picture or two later if it would help.

Bob

neki67
08-21-2009, 02:28 PM
When memory serves me correct, I believe Ridetech (sponsor) is also selling those kind of endlinks.

David Pozzi
08-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Moroso used to sell those bars, they purchased the Adams product line and may still have service parts for them.
What is the hole size in the bar?
David

LowBuckX
08-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Those Heim ends in your link are cheap and weak nickle dime heims. get good ones if you are going this route..

77ta
08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Ill have to go measure but they look about 1/2" size holes and yes the bars turn up at the ends.

Thanks for the input and a picture would be great !!!

a67
08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
OK, grabbed some pictures. The swivel in the heim end has an integral stud on it. This is what bolts to the bar and through the steel block.

Picture from the front, top and two from the rear. Note that I cut the stem length of the heim ends down for a better fit. You can see that there is very little of the flats left on the female end.

I use chassis grease on the swivels. IIRC VSE mentions the use of gear lube. I just like the grease better as it doesn't run.

Bob

77ta
08-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Now if I can find the parts to make up those links... I went to Moroso and they don't list anything on the website, and nothing is turning up on searches that looks promising that does not approch the cost of a whole new bar and stuff !!!!

Thanks for taking those picture they help a lot to see what I need to find or fab !!!

JRouche
08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok, Im sorry, I dont see the issue? Just some rod ends and bolts, no? I may be missing it, think I am. But if it were me I would just get some rod ends and some center bars.

Look at this supplier, thats who I used for some stuff. But look at the site just to get some ideas.

Some nice QA1 rod ends, some safety washers, quality bolts and center links. Done deal? JR

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/QA1-_c_125.html
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Rod-End-Accessories_c_80.html

Diff setup, this is the rear on mine. But it could be just as easy to configure it for the front? Im gonna do something close to this on my front...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/g-2.jpg

CapSS92
08-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Talk to this guy: [email protected] His name is Bill Harper and he is from the Impala SS forum and if anyone knows where to get them, it would be him. I know the Impala guys used these swaybars a lot and I tried to search for a replacement part number on their website but something is wrong with it and the searches come up blank. I think there was a Moog replacement for the swaybar links. As for the blocks that the lower part attaches to, you'd have to machine something up but it's a pretty simple setup. HTH.

Alex

Lowend
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I seem to recall there there was a steel block that the lower end of the hiem screwed into on the lower-a-arm.
It's been awhile

vsefiream
09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Contact Passion Motors in Sterling heights MI. That's Matt and Herb's shop. Matt said that he is reproducing the sway bars. I'm sure he can help. Please help convince them to bring more VSE products back to the market

Skip Fix
09-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I seem to recall there there was a steel block that the lower end of the hiem screwed into on the lower-a-arm.

Yep.

firebob
09-19-2009, 02:03 PM
How long ago did those guys move away from Cali? They used to be down around Pacific Grove, I thought. Last I heard they were getting heavy into the cobra build ups.

Robert

vsefiream
09-21-2009, 08:12 AM
How long ago did those guys move away from Cali? They used to be down around Pacific Grove, I thought. Last I heard they were getting heavy into the cobra build ups.

Robert

2 years ago, Matt has concentrated on the Contessa now