PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY! No Start! Help!!

TheRoaringEagle
03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
I wanted to head over to the DMV so I got into my car and it wouldn't start! It started at first normally but it wouldn't get the engine going. I tried three times and then looked under the hood and noticed one of the ignition wires off the distributor! I don't know how that happened but I put it back on and it still won't start. It kind of turns the engine but then clicks a lot like it isn't catching the flywheel. Did I screw up the ignition timing or something? What can I do to fix this?

I have a 67 Camaro with a 70 400 sbc. ignition was modified to magnetic pickup with a blaster coil.

zbugger
03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Battery. You need a jump start.

TheRoaringEagle
03-31-2005, 05:36 PM
the fan and lights work, but could it still be the battery?

qwik1320
03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
Battery doesn't have enough "umph" to start the car...like zbugger said, you need a jump.

TheRoaringEagle
03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
i got a jump, and i got it going finally but it won't hold a charge! it runs only with the headlights off.. so it must be the battery right? but it was running great the day prior! and it's only half a year old! it's a red top optima starter battery. the car however was taken apart for 3-4 months and did not run. but still, the battery worked fine right after i started it, i can't imagine why it would die now. any thoughts?

digitalman2112
03-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Sometimes a battery needs a nice slow charge to refresh it. I hope there is some science behind that statement, but lets just say that on batteries that have had issues, I'll put them on the lowest amp setting on my charger and let them sit for a day - poof, they suddenly act normal again.

Ian

qwik1320
03-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Is you alternator charging/hooked up? Check to make sure you don't have other wires off or loose. The battery is there to get the car started...once it's running your alternator should supply the power you need. If the battery has been dead for awhile it may take some time to fully charge (don't charge it overnight unattended though, safety first!)

TheRoaringEagle
03-31-2005, 08:59 PM
well when i jumped the car, the voltmeter read at about 12 amps and then as i kept it in idle it slowly just went lower and lower. it didn't look like the alternator was charging it at all. i even drove it around for a bit with the lights off and it couldn't charge the battery even a little. the voltmeter just dropped to red. then i turned the lights on for a second and the car almost died.

do you still think the battery can be recharged slowly and work?
also it wouldn't be the wiring right? if i jump from the battery and it starts that means the cables are good right?

Bill Howell
04-01-2005, 05:25 AM
Sounds like your battery is dead because of the alternator problem. Just charge the battery and it will be fine. However sounds like it is new alternator time. One quick check to see if the alternator is charging without a gauge is to hold a screwdriver flat about 1/4" from the front of the pulley with the engine running. If it is charging, it will create a magnetic field and will pull the tool to it. This must be done very carefully or you will launch the screw driver to who knows where but it will work every time. If you have not converted the car to a alternator with a built in regulator, then be sure to check the regulator too. Most all parts houses have test benches now and will check it for free if you take it to them, but you might as well take money with you since I am sure that is the problem is unless it just has a loose connection somewhere.

Jagarang
04-01-2005, 05:52 AM
I don't think I'd want to try the magnetic screwdriver test!!
I'm pretty sure Autozone will test your alternator for free. A voltmeter would work as well wouldn't it?

kamaroman68
04-01-2005, 06:17 AM
If you use a voltmeter it will show voltage. The voltage at the battery with the car running should be between 13.6 and 14.2 volts. This is a quick check however it will not determine the amperage the alternator is putting out. You could use a clamp on ampmeter on either the negative or positive battery cable with the arrow on the clamp facing the direction of current flow. Current flows negative to positive. If you are unsure of the direction of the clamp just put it on one way and it will either read - or + amperage. If it reads negative turn the clamp around. The other way is simply drive the car to your local autozone and they will check the alternator for you for free. Good luck.

Charley Lillard
04-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Keep the screwdriver away from the front like that nutcase told you. With the car running put the screwdriver on the back center of the alt. There is a little plug that covers the rear bearing. If it is charging, that plug will be magnatized. If it is not, then your alt is not working. Check wires before getting another one.

zbugger
04-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Thank you Charlie. Yes, start by checking the wiring. Make sure it is all hooked up and correct. Then you can do the screw driver test, but I'd really recommend using the voltmeter to see just how dead it is. Odds are you'll see just below battery voltage at the alternator's bat teminal.

Damnit Bill, you're gonna get someone killed with that work........ Hmmm.... never mind. Comment being kept to myself.

TheRoaringEagle
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
Sorry, one more question! I was wondering if I do find that it is the alternator, and I install a new one, will I be able to jump start the battery and charge it from the new alternator? I don't have a battery charger on hand. If it's unsafe do you guys know anyone in the Santa Cruz area who can charge it for me? Thanks!

Flynlo416
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Just about any auto repair shop will charge your battery for you for a small fee.

Steve68
04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Thats not a cover on the rear, thats the actual bearing, stay away from AutoZone or other ones like that. I have a one wire alt, I thought it wasn't charging, long story short, the chain places couldn't get the alt to spin fastenough to getit to kick into charge cycle, has to go over 1200 rpm, 2 Cents

zbugger
04-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Roaring Eagle, I'm accross the mountain and up the peninsula from you. Wanna try and work something out? Otherwise, yes, you can charge the battery with the new alternator. One thing I do to charge a battery after a jump start is to leave the two cars hooked up for a bit. Leave both of them running. I'd keep the idle around 1000 to 1500 rpms for both engines. This will lessen the instant load on the alternator in the car with the bad battery.

Bill Howell
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Keep the screwdriver away from the front like that nutcase told you. :lmao:

I have been looking to open a shop here in East Tn. Let me know if I can do anything for you. We only have screwdrivers and pliers here.

I have been gone all day-April fools fool

TheRoaringEagle
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I replaced the alternator and now I'm back to normal, up and running! I went to Andy's Auto Supply in SC, CA and they charged my battery for me and helped me swap the pulley and fan. Thanks for all the help guys! I need to get a new wiring harness ASAP though, anyone got one lying around they wanna get rid of?? Thanks again!