PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need opinions on 67 Camaro Estimate...

4MuscleMachines
03-31-2005, 03:08 PM
HI,
I purchased a 67 true SS/RS Big Block with buildsheet but with no motor or trans. Had it completely dissassembled and acid dipped. Already going into paint. I had an estimate given to me by a restorer to do the following, Remember this is for labor only, no parts. Dont consider the parts, only the labor to reinstall everything including all the wiring. NOTHING is on the car...Thank for helping!!! His price shown is for labor only to reassemble it and test, he will be doing all the interior/exterior assembly, mechanical, electrical.

Assemble front suspension to subframe - $600

4 wheel alignment - $100

Take off subframe connectors fix floor - $350

Install front subframe to body shell - $200

Prepare engine according to your direction - $500 ???

Prepare Trans /overdrive according to your direction - $ 500

Install engine and trans with all associated hookups - $1000

Install exhaust system - $500

Prepare rearend according to your direction - $500???

Install new rear suspension items - $300

Install entire fuel system - $200

Install entire electrical system and test - $1000

Install complete brake system - $500

Install Vintage Air system test and charge A/C - $1500

Install instrument panel and steering column and dash pad - $$500

Rebuild and install all crank up windows - $500

Install new front windshield and rear glass - $250

Install inner fenders, core support, front fenders, header panel gravel pan, grille, bumper and hood and align - $1000

Install rear gravel pan, bumper, taillights and all other external trim-$500

Balance and mount wheels and tires and install - $200

Install complete interior (Recover seats etc etc.) and detail - $2000

Total $12,700

kman67rsss
03-31-2005, 04:40 PM
i cannot give you an actual good or bad on the price but it seems a litttle steep. i just rebuild my car from almost scratch, a 67 rs/ss and it wasnt difficult. some things sound reasonable but others seem really high. hopefully someone that does this on a regular basis will chime in. what do you think about that price. is it somthing your willing to pay?

4MuscleMachines
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Like you said some OK some steep. Like the AC install , interior both steep. Prep engine and trans cost overlaps with cost of install engine and trans??Personally, I thought 8K was the most it would turn out to be. Anybody else have an opinion??

qwik1320
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree, seems a little steep and some of the things seem to overlap. Like the prep trans cost - what does that mean?? Is he rebuilding the original trans or are you going to buy a new 5/6 speed and give it to him. In that case $500 is a way too much to open a box! I'd think the $1000 to install the trans and engine would cover any "prep" work. Ask him for more detail.

Sweet car by the way. I was looking for a 67 big block RS/SS for years but was always a day late or more often several dollars short! I'm working on your cars little brother, a 67 RS/SS 350.

HansMN
03-31-2005, 06:14 PM
If a quality job is guaranteed and you're dealing with an experienced, knowledgeable restorer (check references, make sure that he's done a car like this before!) then this is a reasonable fee IMO. The costs of a screwed up but cheaper assembly downstream will make you wish you'd taken this deal. You're paying for knowledge and experience here as much as skill (better that the restorer has made mistakes on prior cars and is not learning on yours). These guys are entitled to a profit if they assure quality work.

(Here's an example: when dipping a car it's critical that the lead between the quarter and roof panels be ground off and all metal properly prepared. Screw that up and it bubbles a few months after you get it home. The guarantee is worth something. Also, trim installation can lead to scratches if you make a mistake - better someone with experience deal with some of these issues again IMO).

If you have time on your hands to either oversee someone cheaper or do it yourself (this is not an easy job - I have kids and can spend time only one day per weekend so my reassembly is a year plus which I'm OK with but requires extreme patience).

Maybe engine install and interior is a bit high (maybe AC Install but only if you don't buy the hardware from the same guy) but overall, bottom line, I'd be cool with that assuming a 4 to 6 week cycle (you didn't mention elapsed time guarantees - check that out cuz that could change everything if the project drags! And who is providing parts? If you are then that would be reasonable, if he is then you'd want to ask about parts dicounts passed through.).

4MuscleMachines
03-31-2005, 07:10 PM
He is experienced in mechanical stuff like trans, rears, engines. He is an engineer. He says his standards are high and will supervise assembly. Should take about six months given he does this on the side but has done it for a really long time. He has built two motors for me and they turned out really nice...see pics (302 Boss, 351Boss stoked to 393). His work is good but not too much experience on the interior. He says he will refurbish and detail all the interior to his standards and that is not rocket science. Prep trans means install any items it might need to complete install such as brackets, speedo, ect, specifically a gear vendors overdrive th400. I will furnish all the parts. Prep engine means install the edelbrock EFI, distributor,valve covers, march pulleys, oil pan on a ZZ502. I will ask him to be more specific on the detail interior, prep trans/engine, and install trans/engine. He is an engineer and likes to be very specific.

MuscleRodz
03-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Some of it sounds reasonable if not cheap. Other parts are way high. I would get a more descriptive quote.

Mike

68fusion
04-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Get DETAIL DETAILS DETAILS on every $$...guy is just trying to cover himself from under estimating , which is easy to do on these cars. Things that should take an hour to do end up taking a whole day...If he has done several cars he should be able to give you a more "effective" estimate-ie you dont owe big $$ in extra charges at the end. Pay extra for body fit up cause thats the hard stuff as underside detail. All other items are pretty much straight forward. I know we get about 12 to 15k to paint the outside so another 10 to 12k to put it together is ok...not great but ok..

JL8Jeff
04-01-2005, 12:14 PM
If you're not capable of doing it all yourself, then that sounds like a reasonable estimate. Since you would want someone who knows what they're doing and is very keen to details, figure out how much time you think it would take you and probably double the time to do it correctly. It's great to do as much work as you can yourself, but when you start to mess things up and it increases the time and money, having someone else who knows what they're doing can be a time and money saver. Did this guy paint the car? I would think the guy who painted the car would want to put the panels back on and align them. I'm not doing any of the work on my JL8 car because it has to be perfect when it's done and I can't do it perfectly.

Travis B
04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Sounds cheap to me! There is no way I would build the car for that money!! I will agree and say that the way he broke everything down is a little strange! :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm:

Steve1968LS2
04-01-2005, 01:51 PM
He is experienced in mechanical stuff like trans, rears, engines. He is an engineer. He says his standards are high and will supervise assembly. Should take about six months given he does this on the side but has done it for a really long time. He has built two motors for me and they turned out really nice...see pics (302 Boss, 351Boss stoked to 393). His work is good but not too much experience on the interior. He says he will refurbish and detail all the interior to his standards and that is not rocket science. Prep trans means install any items it might need to complete install such as brackets, speedo, ect, specifically a gear vendors overdrive th400. I will furnish all the parts. Prep engine means install the edelbrock EFI, distributor,valve covers, march pulleys, oil pan on a ZZ502. I will ask him to be more specific on the detail interior, prep trans/engine, and install trans/engine. He is an engineer and likes to be very specific.

Need to buy a TH400 and gearvendors unit?? :)

The one that caugt my eye was $500 to install the exhaust system.. considering that is labor only I find that nutty..

For reference I got my entier stainless exhaust with polished Maganaflow mufflers for $700.. parts AND labor..

$200 to mount and ballance the wheels is insane.. that is $50 per a wheel.. call you local tire shop and you will see what I mean..

My custom interior ran $1500 for labor.. :shrug:

Like has been said.. depends on his qualifications....

ProdigyCustoms
04-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I agree with Travis. He is basically assembling the entire car. His hours are screwed up. $500 for the motor, and $1500 for the A/C is most likely backwards, but the bottom line. $10k to $12K to assemble a car is only a couple hundred hours. Think you can put one together in 4 to 5 weeks? Pieces do not ever, always, fit. Repo should be called redo. He is in line if he is qualified and can do the kind of work you require.
Where are you located? that should have an influence also.