PDA

View Full Version : drop springs or spindles for second gen camaro?

maroon88iroc
08-19-2009, 12:37 PM
I am doing the front suspension on my 73 z28 and the only lowering springs I can find are the eibach pro-kit which only drops the car an inch there is also hotchkiss but they say 1-2? inches, how can you make a product and put a question mark in the description... I want to lower the car 2 inches or more are there any lowering springs out there that will do that or drop spindles?

if you have a second gen that you lowered can you post pics of the stance and the brand or kit that you bought to lower it?

thanks guys!

maroon88iroc
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
also will a iroc gear box work on a second gen? I know they do on the first gens, just wanted to check on that as well

79T/Aman
08-19-2009, 03:12 PM
"how can you make a product and put a question mark in the description... "

Simple there are too many factors that affect ride height, and ANY company that advertizes a specific lowering amount is doing the customer a BIG diservice, have you piced your wheels and tires yet? are you removing any weight from the front?, even front end alignment can affect ride hight to some degree.

As for drop spindles they cause other issues that cannot be corrected.

The other thing you must ask yourself, form or function?

BonzoHansen
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
also will a iroc gear box work on a second gen? I know they do on the first gens, just wanted to check on that as well

yes, although you may need to deal with different rag joints & line fittings. And use the 2nd gen pitman arm

DriverzInc
08-19-2009, 03:25 PM
We sell and use Hotchkis, and I've talked with them about their drop springs extensively. Long story short, you can cut them if you want more of a drop. I usually end up cutting about a .5" from the top of the coil to give me about an extra inch drop.

Hotchkis also has rear lowering leafs if you need them too. Let me know if you need an outlet to purchase them.

maroon88iroc
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
We sell and use Hotchkis, and I've talked with them about their drop springs extensively. Long story short, you can cut them if you want more of a drop. I usually end up cutting about a .5" from the top of the coil to give me about an extra inch drop.

Hotchkis also has rear lowering leafs if you need them too. Let me know if you need an outlet to purchase them.

I want something out of the box that has at least a 2" drop, I dont want to go with an aftermarket spring and still have to cut it I can do that with my factory springs

DSE I see has some 2" drop coils but they are $100 per spring OUCH!

zbugger
08-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I want something out of the box that has at least a 2" drop, I dont want to go with an aftermarket spring and still have to cut it I can do that with my factory springs

DSE I see has some 2" drop coils but they are $100 per spring OUCH!
I would have to say this. NEVER think that out of the box you can get a 2" drop on what's at least a 30 year old ride. You may have sagging coils up front already. The new springs will give you the same ride height, or a half inch lower, or an inch lower... Often times it's never the full two inches that's advertised. That 2" drop is from original stock height. When I put the Hotchkis coils on my '77 Camaro, it only dropped a touch over an inch. Did it sit where I wanted it to? Yeah. It did. But I also knew that it wouldn't drop the full two inches.

Oh, and I've heard of the Eibach springs dropping the car more than the advertised 1". It's often a crap shoot on these cars. Sometimes cutting coils is the only way to get an exact height.

maroon88iroc
08-19-2009, 09:43 PM
I would have to say this. NEVER think that out of the box you can get a 2" drop on what's at least a 30 year old ride. You may have sagging coils up front already. The new springs will give you the same ride height, or a half inch lower, or an inch lower... Often times it's never the full two inches that's advertised. That 2" drop is from original stock height. When I put the Hotchkis coils on my '77 Camaro, it only dropped a touch over an inch. Did it sit where I wanted it to? Yeah. It did. But I also knew that it wouldn't drop the full two inches.

Oh, and I've heard of the Eibach springs dropping the car more than the advertised 1". It's often a crap shoot on these cars. Sometimes cutting coils is the only way to get an exact height.

I know the advertised drop is for stock height thats why I wanted 2". Im just surprised there arent more companies out there offering them. I used intrax 2" drop springs on my 88 iroc and the stance is perfect I think I paid $150 new from summit for a full set of FOUR lol. its gonna cost me more than that for just two. I think im just going to cut my stock ones I dont like to do that b/c the ride usually sucks from my expirience but I guess ill go that route and if I dont like the ride ill buy aftermarket drop springs.

Why is everyone so against the drop spindles? I have drop spindles on my 67 RS and 69 F-bird. I love them b/c you can still use a stock spring so the ride is like factory the only problem ive ever had with them is the outer tie rod end location, the drop spindles put the tie rod too close to the wheel

79-TA
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM

I run Eibachs up front on my Trans Am. My front springs were dead and saggy so the total drop was initially about half an inch. After settling some more it's a little lower. Right now, it's about 14 inches from the center of my wheel to the top of the fender lip.

Measure your own car like this to get a general idea of how low it sits now (measuring from the wheel center eliminates the wheel/tire diameter variable.) Because the your earlier 2nd gen fender might not be exactly like the TA fender, it won't be a perfect comparison. Still, it'll give you a general idea.

Also, I should note that my car has an Olds 403 (a 350 based engine) small block with aluminum heads and intake (50 pounds lighter up front than it was stock.)

79-TA
08-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Also of note, I've been very happy with the ride/stiffness trade off that the Eibachs offer. Cutting springs can be a nice budget option for a nice static stance, but those springs were designed to have all of that travel. Hitting bump stops just isn't cool.

maroon88iroc
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
I run Eibachs up front on my Trans Am. My front springs were dead and saggy so the total drop was initially about half an inch. After settling some more it's a little lower. Right now, it's about 14 inches from the center of my wheel to the top of the fender lip.

Measure your own car like this to get a general idea of how low it sits now (measuring from the wheel center eliminates the wheel/tire diameter variable.) Because the your earlier 2nd gen fender might not be exactly like the TA fender, it won't be a perfect comparison. Still, it'll give you a general idea.

Also, I should note that my car has an Olds 403 (a 350 based engine) small block with aluminum heads and intake (50 pounds lighter up front than it was stock.)

I would do some measuring and stuff but this is what my car looks like right now LOL

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/DSCF0261-1.jpg

Thats why I was trying to figure out a spring before I put it back together, I think im just going to cut one coil of the stock ones and see how it sits. Ill probably end up going with the dse springs down the road b/c I really like how the aftermarket springs ride.

maroon88iroc
08-20-2009, 11:24 AM
what can I do with this?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/DSCF0268-1.jpg

This is the steering shaft the bellows is split at the firewall side. Can I repair this or what are my alternatives?

maroon88iroc
08-20-2009, 12:23 PM
I found some body bushings will I need to get the hardware as well? Ive cleaned up the stock bolts and was planning to reuse them. Will I be ok getting just the bushings without the hardware? also these kits must do front and rear subframe bushings?

w/ hardware

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-7-139/?image=large

w/ o hardware

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-7-119/