PDA

View Full Version : 69 camaro duramax diesel build.

Morse
08-19-2009, 06:05 AM
I bought this car in 99. Most every body panel has been replaced except the top and trunk lid. I then bought a few parts, including a 509. After buying a new duramax truck in 2003, I sold the 509 and started over. I was a little indecisive in the biginning. I bought an 05 LLY dmax which I had planned on keeping stock, and setting it around 500 rwhp. That honestly would have been the smart thing to do. I tend to get carried away. Here's what the car has now..

-2006 LBZ duramax built by Fleece Performance (750-800 rwhp, over 1,000 rwhp with a small shot) Those are performance numbers from a similar motor in a 2500.

-TCI 4L80e race trans with TCI controller and custom billet converter.

-Bivens Race Cars Outlaw 10.5 chrome-moly tube chassis to certify for 8.50's in the quarter. Front frame rails were kept to be legal for the class.

-Aerospace brakes.

-Air Ride Technologies Air Pod, Strong Arms, and Shockwaves..

-Moser fabbed rear end..

-KMC Nova 22x11 rears, 20.8.5 fronts with michelins..

These are the big things so far. It will have drag tires and skinnies for the drag strip, the nice wheels for shows. After the chassis is rolling with the motor, it goes back to the Indianapolis area for wiring and dyno time.. Then it goes back to the paint and body shop for disassembly for paint. Then it goes back together, and it's off to have leather interior installed. There's a long way to go, but it's on it's way.. When completed, it should get atleast 35 mpg and run around a 9.5 quarter mile on diesel only.. Hopefully get in the 8's with spray if I decide to run quicker. This is if the suspension will let it hook. The chassis guy builds Outlaw 10.5 cars for a living, and doesn't like the thought of running shockwaves. I'll post more pics as I recieve them.. The car is at a chassis shop in KY. I live in FL..

camcojb
08-19-2009, 06:13 AM
I'll be real curious if you can make that 4L80E stand up to the 1200-1300 rwtq you'll have. I know the truck guys haven't had much luck at those levels, but they are twice as heavy as you also which kills that trans. I had a Dmax at the 650 rwhp range (MPI twins) and it was a ball.

Cool project, good luck.

Jody

tracar91
08-19-2009, 06:28 AM
great project. I live in Louisville, so I'm curious which shop in Louisville has this?

Morse
08-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Fleece Performance built the motor. They're located in Indiana around 30 minutes from Indy. The chassis shop is located in Owensboro, KY. I've had a couple other diesel projects. Here's a couple..
This truck ran 11.1 at 131.7 later on with larger turbos on street tires. It was much slower than it should have been because of lack of traction. It was a fun ride though..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAFAv13J6Zg

This is a truck I built a while back. It ran a traction limited 108 mph in the eighth mile on street tires. That was on diesel only. I also had six nitrous foggers on it that I never even got to try. I sold the truck because something broke every time I tried to go to the track. We did line these two trucks up on the street, and the silver one ran away from the 06 like it was sitting still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLFs45axvfA&feature=PlayList&p=C4ABFB4D6318EEFE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

The new owner was driving it in the video. He came out easy like we had talked about, but it broke free as soon as the boost came up. He had just installed new slicks and four link before this happened.. He also turned the boost up from the 90-100 range where I ran it, to around 125..

I've built several more that ran 10's to 12's in the quarter in the last few years. The camaro is my most in depth build so far though.

Morse
08-19-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm worried about the transmission myself. I wish I had went with a 47rh out of a dodge. They can be made very strong, even though they're light enough for one person to carry.. The guys at TCI said if it didn't hold, to bring it to them, and they would build one that I won't break..

From what I've heard, this duramax Mustang is now running 9.0's with a 4l80..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj602I0t6ts

Morse
08-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Couple new pics sent fromt the chassis shop to my cell phone.. Sorry, it wouldn't allow me to rotate the pic..

icebird84
08-24-2009, 12:33 PM
nice project
photobucket.com and VERY easy to use and free

brandonc707
08-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Cool project, I have been itching to put a duramax into a muscle car for a while too..... glad to see some one doing this!!
Diesel power is the way to go, I bought a new LMM truck last year, and I love it! with these cars weighing half as much as the trucks, they should be alot of fun, and get decent fuel mileage and steetablity too.
Keep us posted:1st:

Morse
08-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Now, it's a pretty logical choice. I kind of wish I had just installed a stock duramax with programming in a fairly stock car. It could have easily been a fun 500 rwhp, and be a moderately priced build. Fuel economy would be in the 30's. You can now buy a complete wiring harness from PPE for less than a couple grand, and a decent complete duramax engine for 3-5 grand. Building a duramax for dependability over 500 rwhp can get pricey.

Les69
08-25-2009, 08:40 AM
I happy to finally see someone make this a project! I've been curious to see it done for awhile. Can't wait to see more man!

dslhtrdr
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I hear ya on the stock motor with programming decision Brad. I put a lot of thought into how much I wanted to do with the lbz I have, but figured it was going to be a heck of a lot easier, quicker, and cheaper to keep it fairly close to stock. My latest pipe dream that I have for mine is the empire diesel procharger kit they make for duramax's now... can you say instant boost? Hehehe...

Keep the updates coming!

Dustin

dslhtrdr
12-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Brad, I just saw you on Pass Time! I'm sure it was probably an episode from earlier this year, since I don't watch tv that much, but that truck was pretty quick! An '06 common rail cummins in a regular cab shortbed? That had to be custom built. Unless it was a long bed and it just looked short cuz it was 2wd. Nice truck.

I just put a set of custom twins on my 12 valve over the Thanksgiving weekend. Been taking it easy on it till I put hd valve springs and my ddp4's in it. One of my tranny lines came loose tonight and lost a LOT of atf, so I called in a favor and had a friend tow it for me. Should be up and running again tomorrow though.

Keep up on the updates! I haven't on mine, been too busy tweaking on my dodge. I will soon though...:smoke: