PDA

View Full Version : please help,1973 formula

1bad69+70
03-31-2005, 01:20 PM
I have a 73 formula (not real,its an esprit) i bought off the second owner.the car is super solid with only 60k on the odometer.Heres the problem,i have modified the pontiac 350 almost to the max,Solid flat tappet cam 480 lift,edelbrock intake,ported 46 heads,holley 670 avenger carb,150shot nos.The car is a dog.My 69 camaro with 406 sbc,vortec heads and small hydraulic cam will walk all over it.My buddy has a 77 firebird with 455 built pontiac and it will barely keep up with the camaro.Here is the question.Will it kill the value of the car if i put in a 350 chevy with vortec heads?I have a factory roller cam block that i was going to use the gm hot cam and ported 062 vortec heads.I want a build similar to the formula454 car on here except i want to use the small block.Die hard pontiac fans say to build a 455 but the cost is unreal compared to a small block.What kind of power can i get from the vortec heads and hott cam?

WS6
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
it will only kill the value if you try to sell it. it just depends on who is buying the car really, but its an esprit which isnt desired that much compared to a real formula, so making it better all around could make it more valuable.

going with an SBC isnt a bad idea, the engines can perform well.

the whole package matters though, not just the engine. i say somethings not right about your combo. what else do you have trans and rearend wise? a pontiac 350 does not suck. the 400s and up just over shadowed it. you can build a pontiac motor for very cheap and it will perform very well. just remember just because its a V8 doesnt mean you can build it like its a SBC.

1bad69+70
03-31-2005, 08:44 PM
Gear is a 3.73 posi.The best i could do at my local track is mid 9sec range.I startd the mods on the original bottom end then i went .060 over bore and added the mods.The car sounds mean but does not have the ass to back it.I then added nitrous,didnt run at track yet but my buddies 5.0 mustang with 2.73 gear and minor bolt ons will crush me.I was debating on a vortec 350 build with gm hot cam.Any suggestions?I have a pontiac 400 but the cost to build it is huge.Even with hyperucraptic pistons the build would be around $700with out machine work.

yody
04-01-2005, 08:32 PM
well i wasn't worried about resale value on my car, nothing is original;
C5 brakes
cowl hood
chevy engine
viper tranny
recaro/autometer/4th gen interior
aftermarket wheels
corvette blue paint
and the list goes on and on. Do whatever you want, these cars aren't really collectors yet so as of now it doens't really matter. especially on an esprit car. I would build a pontiac 400 or a stroked 455, you already have heads intake, exhaust etc. all you need is a short block which isn't really all that expensive, plus you sitll have the nos hooked up get. Get rid of that 350 and don't waste anymore money on it. I don't see why the 400 is expensive? put a cast crank/rods, forged pistons, bearings rings and gaskets, a better solid flat tappet, and you have the rest. SOunds pretty damn cheap to me.

1bad69+70
04-03-2005, 10:39 AM
What is the backspacing on your rear wheels,both sets?I have enkei V1 wheels and love the rear back spacing on your car.I have to get spacer made for mine because they came off 95 firebird.

1976SR71
04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi,
I would go with a stroker 400. The kits are $1800
All new crank,rods,forged pistons, rings, bearings and balanced,
With correct cam,intake and heads.
You will be at close to 475hp and 500ftlbs tq.

BEEBE
04-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Hey 1bad69-70,

You might want to check out Performanceyears.com , They have a forum that is dam near unsurpassed for classic pontiac info.

Im sure they will be able to assist you in at least getting your 350 to run at least 14's in the 1/4 , the street or race section.

**** .....Rock and Roll Engineering ( I wouldent reccomend them personally) built a 600 HP pontiac 350 that ran 11's in 1st gen f-body.