PDA

View Full Version : RideTech Powder Coating Color

darren@ridetech
08-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Currently all of our steel products (4 links, control arms, c-notches, brackets, etc.) are powdercoated a Satin Black finish. We have had some requests over the years for products coated in Silver. I think most will agree that Silver looks better, but will be tougher to keep clean. Offering both colors would push inventory levels too high or cause a delay in shipping. Neither of which are acceptable, so a decision must be made.

So, speak now or forever hold your peace..... Black or Silver?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/attachmentphpattachmentid433stc1d1250616-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/attachmentphpattachmentid434stc1d1250616-1.jpg

Draco
08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Silver

andrewb70
08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Darren,

I voted for black, however let me suggest another option. I would give customers the option of getting any part uncoated. The cost should be the same as coated parts and there should be a stated 4-6 week delivery time. This will save work for people that want a custom look, and the lower cost of the parts can offset any cost that might be incurred due to extra inventory or other expenses.

Andrew

Mark68
08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
I vote for silver!

darren@ridetech
08-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Darren,

I voted for black, however let me suggest another option. I would give customers the option of getting any part uncoated. The cost should be the same as coated parts and there should be a stated 4-6 week delivery time. This will save work for people that want a custom look, and the lower cost of the parts can offset any cost that might be incurred due to extra inventory or other expenses.

Andrew

We can do this, but it may take even longer than 4-6 weeks depening on what application and how many we have in stock. For some customers I will just send them coated, but unassembled; leaving the ball joints and bushings out.

John McIntire
08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Black, easier to keep clean and doesn't stand out too much from the rest of the car

bret
08-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Darren,

Andrew

Keep in mind that powdercoat [of any color] makes a good base for paint, even it its from a rattle can. No need to strip off the powdercoat to paint the color of your choice.

To further clarify the issues surrounding the potential color change:

1. Black components look terrible in photos and on a display so we have historically chosen to paint our display units silver for a better looking display and photos.
2. Even though we state that the production components are black and not silver as in the photos, some customers do not realize that and are confused/upset.
3. We could easily change the powdercoat color from black to silver on a global basis.
4. But silver may be too gaudy for some people, black may blend in better with the undercarriage.
5. Uncoated parts will quickly rust on our shelves and our distributors shelves
6. Bushing and balljoint assembly has to be done after coating. While this group is entirely capable of installing bushing and balljoint properly, our experience has proven this talent to be scarce for many people.

A seemingly easy issue...that is why we are looking for opinions!

LateNight72
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
What about a nice metallic charcoal? Might be a good inbetween.

Ralph LoGrasso
08-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Silver. That comparison shot is all one needs to see.

Bryce
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
i vote silver.

but i painted my my own designed suspesnion hammertone gold. just to be different. HAHA.

CRead01
08-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I think it should come in any color you want as long as it's black.

TT302Z28
08-19-2009, 06:46 AM
black, but gloss. The satin or semi gloss gives a good surface for crud to bond to.

DriverzInc
08-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I voted Silver. I think in most cases, I'd want them in Silver over black as I think they look better.

My second choice would be semi-gloss black, if you keep them black. Gloss black powder coat scratches too easily.

k7king
08-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Do different colors give it them different power?.....
How much power does black have vs Silver ?

Ridetech Power Coating Color

just busting balls.....lol

Mike King

brandonc707
08-22-2009, 09:38 AM
SILVER
If you want to change the color, do like Brett said and paint over the silver..... I think silver would look better in most cases.
:enguard:

Topless69
08-22-2009, 12:04 PM
silver

b-man
08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Black.

65-fastback
08-29-2009, 05:36 AM
silver!!

check out mine:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/03/CIMG1381-1.jpg

Steve1968LS2
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Silver.. it's actually easier to clean than the satin black since it's smoother.

Yoda4561
09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Silver, long lasting black paint is easy to come by, and easy to touch up. Silver paints won't last nearly as long as a powdercoated silver and retouches will look like crap.

MIGOAT
09-13-2009, 09:18 AM
I definatly hit Jeremy up at RideTech about the catalog showing only silver parts for pictures. Thank you for doing a poll I think it should be an option between black or silver.

Powder is cheap and theres no extra cost in painting things different colors except if you start doing some of the crazy metallics or chromes. I bought the powder and did these .

724tim
09-13-2009, 10:04 AM
silver

mroth
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I ordered a 4 link setup from Frank Sarafine at Custom Prodigys. 6 months later I received ity in silver(It must have been from one of his displays). I wish I would have gotten it in black but am lucky to just have gotten it from him.

darren@ridetech
09-16-2009, 12:29 PM
His vote is obvious.....
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32572&d=1252862096

darren@ridetech
09-16-2009, 12:37 PM
The problem with offering both is having to increase inventory. If we don't increase inventory, then the possibility for backorders is much greater. Neither of which is an option.

MIGOAT
09-16-2009, 07:59 PM
I understand that part but honestly powdercoating these parts was easy. Even after I removed all bushings and the ball joint using less than practicle tools we had it done in no time, the longest part was cure time and cooling. Granted the prep was easy due to the parts powdercoated black. I really wanted the silver and would have paid a little more to have it done.
I'm not sure who does the powdercoating but it's a way to make a few extra if customer wanter hammer tone or something similar. Hell I bet the person that wants the colors would wait a little longer to have it done but hey just $ .02

one question when I want to view the option where I see the bars and the numbers for pressure it only shows 1 bar and no numbers also nothing changes ???? please PM

mc84_zz4
09-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I vote for black, the car speaks for itself, bling not required.
I can see the point of offerring customized coatings, which of course, would take a little longer, but as mentioned; that customer would not mind, since his powder guy would probably take a week or 2 to get it done just the same.
My .02

ssx
11-01-2009, 11:17 PM
Another vote for silver!!!

rivs68
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I vote silver...I removed all the bushings and balljoints and had them recoated in silver...Would have saved some time and $$$ if I could have gotten them silver to begin with...

Smock67
01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm voting black just looks more subtle

chevyhector
01-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I say silver!

Rod
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
I will take Silver, but throw in extra decals in case they want to paint the arms black :1st:

Streetwerkz
03-31-2010, 04:32 AM
I voted black, silver is just as universal, most people we powder coat suspension components for for.... want black.

Also ALL metallics need a clear coat, which will be a secondary operation, and added cost you will need to pass on to your customers.

Black powder can be used as a kick ass primer for paint, or easily re coated a color that will match a custom build easily at any reputable local custom powder coat shop

johnny rockett
04-01-2010, 09:19 AM
You need to step up and dip those parts with a carbon fiber wrap!

Keep in mind that powdercoat [of any color] makes a good base for paint, even it its from a rattle can. No need to strip off the powdercoat to paint the color of your choice.

To further clarify the issues surrounding the potential color change:

1. Black components look terrible in photos and on a display so we have historically chosen to paint our display units silver for a better looking display and photos.
2. Even though we state that the production components are black and not silver as in the photos, some customers do not realize that and are confused/upset.
3. We could easily change the powdercoat color from black to silver on a global basis.
4. But silver may be too gaudy for some people, black may blend in better with the undercarriage.
5. Uncoated parts will quickly rust on our shelves and our distributors shelves
6. Bushing and balljoint assembly has to be done after coating. While this group is entirely capable of installing bushing and balljoint properly, our experience has proven this talent to be scarce for many people.

A seemingly easy issue...that is why we are looking for opinions!

formula
05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
You need to step up and dip those parts with a carbon fiber wrap!

please....let's all do our part to nip this whole "carbon fiber looking things that aren't/couldn't even possibly be carbon fiber" trend in the bud before it gets any more out of hand. I like patterns as much as the next guy, heck I have plaid pants on right now, but covering every random part of our cars in what amounts to a veeeery small hounds tooth pattern is going to look absolutely stupid in, I'm guesstimating, two years tops.

On topic: I like how the silver breaks up the otherwise-very-dark underside of a car.

PhillipM
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I want to feel how well the parts work, not see them walking up to the car if the wheels are turned.

Vote: Black

wellmaintained
08-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Black

martin 1768
08-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Darren
Ill go for black :drool:
good luck
Martin

mtdubvee
09-23-2010, 07:32 AM
I Vote For Black, Color changing is easy and simple for those wanting different colors.

LeighP
09-24-2010, 10:57 AM
please....let's all do our part to nip this whole "carbon fiber looking things that aren't/couldn't even possibly be carbon fiber" trend in the bud before it gets any more out of hand. I like patterns as much as the next guy, heck I have plaid pants on right now, but covering every random part of our cars in what amounts to a veeeery small hounds tooth pattern is going to look absolutely stupid in, I'm guesstimating, two years tops.

On topic: I like how the silver breaks up the otherwise-very-dark underside of a car.

lol...only the other day a friend and I were discussing CF parts used as trim for the "look"....he says it'll date a car like pastels, graphics and tweed interiors did.....

AintQik
03-18-2011, 03:58 AM
I'm not going to bash folks the nice folks at Ridetech cause I really do think their stuff is great. I did get my suspension in last night, in silver. I'd like to offer my comments to them offline first. I'd like one of them to message me.

67FGFVERT
03-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I voted Black... I dont want mine to look like the "old" version... hehehe

Chev67
04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I vote black. That is what my setup is.

GeoffP
04-21-2012, 04:09 AM
I voted black too.

blakes72x
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
if it were an option i'd vote gunmetal or a dark grey

silver is meh

black is better

Mikey72Nova
08-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I want to feel how well the parts work, not see them walking up to the car if the wheels are turned. Vote: Black Exactly what I was thinking!!

LUV2XLR8
08-20-2012, 09:06 AM
i think a dark gun metal would rock...