PDA

View Full Version : Chrome trim etc.

hhijleh
08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
I've been looking through the Rick's first generation camaro catalog. I have a 68 camaro. I see there are options when buying chrome trim pieces etc. There are generally two options. 1. OEM GM Repo pieces that are a premium price. and 2. Chinese knockoffs that a usually half price.

Question: Are there some things I can get away with buying the knock offs. Are the OEM parts always better or just a money waster. I suspect there are some parts I could get away with buying, but some that dont fit right and the cost is worth the money.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with any pieces and can give me some pointers or a better place to buy than Ricks.

Thanks fellas

camrat68
08-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I pretty much used Rick's before Eckler's bought them as my primary supplier for parts on my 68 and was really disappointed in the quality of some of the repro parts which incidentally came in Classic Industries packaging. Specifically the roof rail drip rail molding and the dash pad as well as the A pillar molding were VERY disappointing in quality.

Most all of the exterior trim is actually stainless steel and not chrome BTW.

Jim

justasquid
08-29-2009, 04:51 PM
yeah, they are stainless. If you have your originals and they are just banged up, spend the money on a set of plastic repair tools. You can straighten out the old trim. Its time consuming, but well worth it. Also, you can use wood as well and just make your own tools. Wood is very easy to shape..

mroth
10-14-2009, 07:14 AM
I agree with using as much original trim or try to buy a good used set. I am working on my 3rd restorstion and this time I will use as much original as I can.

Rag-Rat
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
If the part is stainless I would use originals and have them professionally restored. You can find unfinished or fully restored pieces on E-bay. For chrome pieces I have either had my originals restored or gone with Trim Parts or Camaro Headquarters brand.(Trim Parts door handles are excellent). Best quality for what is available. Not a big fan of OER brand, I've had their stuff fall apart in less than a week.

Jim Nilsen
02-08-2010, 08:03 AM
If the part is stainless I would use originals and have them professionally restored. You can find unfinished or fully restored pieces on E-bay. For chrome pieces I have either had my originals restored or gone with Trim Parts or Camaro Headquarters brand.(Trim Parts door handles are excellent). Best quality for what is available. Not a big fan of OER brand, I've had their stuff fall apart in less than a week.

I have small scrap pile of OER parts, they are hit or miss on quality even with the same part number.Returning them is disheartening when you get worse parts the 2nd time than you had the 1st time.Only buy them when you can see them and know they are made right.

Trim Parts makes pieces that are better than the originals and always have.

Getting your old ones redone is good advice if they fit well,if not get new NOS parts and you will be money ahead even if you pay more.

mroth
02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I tried to do a Google on trim parts company and nothing came up. Do you have I link or a number that I can check out?

Mike

69rsz4me
02-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Trim Parts website is: https://www.trimparts.com/default.asp (https://www.trimparts.com/default.asp)

Mark

Project Cortez
04-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Always try and go with original trim and bring it back to new. Just takes a little time and patience.

wmhjr
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Not a camaro, but I have to say that in each and every case when dealing with chrome trim (and stainless), OEM (original) has always - without exception - been better than any aftermarket I've tried. I've unfortunately developed a close relationship with a shop that fixes stainless for the few pieces I could not do myself (I did almost all my own stainless but some pieces were a little too much) and another relationship with a shop that does both relatively reasonable and good quality rechroming of pot metal. There are a bunch of aftermarket items I returned because the quality just sucked.