PDA

View Full Version : adding electric fans

Steven
03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
I'm going to change out the mechanical fan next month and have been looking at the Derale high output rad dual fan. It's about the right size for the stock radiator in my Monte. The goal is to free up some hp.

I've checked out an extra switch for A/C and saw the LED mod for fan speed, (another company). I don't know about the temp probe being in the cooling fins of the rad or plumb it into the system. I know that plumbing it into the system would be better.

Any general problems or things to look out for with this mod?

gmachinz
03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
A popular alternative to an electric fan is the 1997-98 Lincoln Mark VIII 18" fans. They come with their own fan shroud assembly and they work better than any aftermarket fan I've seen yet. Do a search on Mark VIII fans and read the various posts on them. Rockauto.com has by far the best price on new ones and if you want a suggestion on a wiring kit, I can email you a schematic detailing the wiring-it's very easy and effective. I run a Mark fanw/controller on my '78 Monte and I plan to use one on my '87 Monte SS as well. The complete unit measure about 19"x22"x5.5" and it moves a max. of 5000 cfm. -Jabin