PDA

View Full Version : Jakes Rod shop torque Arm

XLexusTech
08-15-2009, 09:57 AM
In the last few months several folks have installed this rear suspension system. I saw a thread not long ago with Twist and I also believe that Blue car "Vinny from the Hampton's" was getting one also. I am curious as to how these cars are progressing with this new suspension?
Also I haven seen any updates to the Speed tech thread Frank started anyone have any feedback on that or the BMR?

Anybody do any drag racing with these? I remember they Blue car was adding NOS to the BB for some 1/4 mile action.

Steve Chryssos
08-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Vinny's car still has Air Ride. As for my car, the torque arm conversion kicks ass. Completely transformed the car in terms of both handling and ride quality. I switched from dried out, 5 year old Nitto NT555's to Toyo R888's at the same time. So the tires greatly contribute to the improvement as well. But when I tell you the improvement is night and day, I mean 100% improvement. The car used to wheel hop badly on launch and push thru corners to the point that it would fold the outside tire under. Now it rotates nicelt with just a touch of understeer if you push to hard. The understeer can be corrected with just a little throttle input. Brake hop is a theoretical byproduct of torque arm geometry. There is none--not even in Jake's car and he has way more braking force and driver skill. Install's good too. Best exhaust clearance around--including tailpipe clearance. And the panhard bar is a snap to adjust.

The driver (me) needs a lot of work, so I have not found my chassis' new limits. My Gingerman video is in the auto trans section. Watch Jakes, he's a way better driver. His video is more fun to watch. Also including a Jake's Rod Shop kit pic (ignore the crusty axles. They are a carryover from the prior setup.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

7w6iGOeDsBA

hotrdblder
08-15-2009, 10:33 AM
David at Road Killer Kustoms just got a front Apex subframe and a rear Apex Tq arm, complete for a customers build, look for that soon, as well as his shop car which is super nice and has a bitchin ls1,kinsler intake on it and a Apex front subframe and Apex rear tq arm susp in it. Davids super busy with customers work, but if he is using all his free time to get the car driving for rtth5.
Tellyv also just got a Apex front sub and rear tq arm for his killer 68 camaro build.

jake

XLexusTech
08-15-2009, 10:54 AM
David at Road Killer Kustoms just got a front Apex subframe and a rear Apex Tq arm, complete for a customers build, look for that soon, as well as his shop car which is super nice and has a bitchin ls1,kinsler intake on it and a Apex front subframe and Apex rear tq arm susp in it. Davids super busy with customers work, but if he is using all his free time to get the car driving for rtth5.
Tellyv also just got a Apex front sub and rear tq arm for his killer 68 camaro build.
The tq arm is not a dedicated drag race susp, so there is better, but the weight transfer it offers, just so happens it works killer on our pro touring type cars at the strip.
jake

Hey Jake. Any updates on the updated lower shock mounts? I know you mentioned that you have had 0 issues with them in the other thread but just for aesthetic reasons they would be preferable. Also I can honestly say I have never seen a TA equipped 1St gen at the drag strip. Seen plenty 3rd and 4th doing 30 foot wheel stands though. You have anybody 60' your suspension yet?

hotrdblder
08-15-2009, 12:05 PM
The updated mount is below, its a real nice cnc mount, that mounts to trailing arm bracket with two 1/2 bolts, with the lower one going thru the shock,heim spacer and block. Very strong and will never go anywhere, sorry for pics, just went out and took it off twist machines test car.
Jake
p.s No hardcore launches done yet, though vinny is getting a Jrs Apex front and rear susp this fall.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/IMG_4915-1.jpg

hotrdblder
08-15-2009, 12:06 PM
maybe we need to meet at epping one test and tune night this fall?

MoparCar
08-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Jake,
I've talked briefly with you before regarding a universal application in my Challenger. What is the center to center width of the lower control arms and lengths? I'd imagine you are using the factory GM leaf spring pockets? I'd like to measure to see if they'd work on my Challenger. I could always do custom length arms. How would that affect your geometry? Also, do you have this on your website at this time (I didn't see it)? If not could you PM me with a quote for this in a universal mount app.

Are you able to run an X pipe on the car?

Thanks!
Wes

MoparCar
08-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Jake,
One more thing I forgot to ask. Is the pinion angle adjustable with your TA?

Wes

hotrdblder
08-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Jake,
I've talked briefly with you before regarding a universal application in my Challenger. What is the center to center width of the lower control arms and lengths? I'd imagine you are using the factory GM leaf spring pockets? I'd like to measure to see if they'd work on my Challenger. I could always do custom length arms. How would that affect your geometry? Also, do you have this on your website at this time (I didn't see it)? If not could you PM me with a quote for this in a universal mount app.

Are you able to run an X pipe on the car?

Thanks!
Wes
Please email me for more information etc.
Pinion angle is adjusted when first installed, then non adjustable from there on out.
With the tq arm pinion angle change is non existent, in win geo we saw only .01 angle change thru susp travel. So with a quick check of tranny angle, you can easily dial in the pinion angle. We pre weld our housings with 2 degrees of pinion angle inthe trailing arm brackets. It just works.
x pipes can work, but it is very tight.

Steve Chryssos
08-16-2009, 05:37 AM
I lost my x-pipe with the TA. But more importantly, the design allows for full tailpipes and the head pipes are tucked up super nice. I hate turn-downs and dragging exhaust. The TA saves you from cutting the floors--that was a very big consideration for me, and most people I think. I'll add a v-shaped H-pipe over the winter.

Steve Chryssos
08-16-2009, 05:42 AM
.....The tq arm is not a dedicated drag race susp, so there is better, but the weight transfer it offers, just so happens it works killer on our pro touring type cars at the strip.
jake

Explain that please. Excuse me, does anyone speak Mainer?

DJW32
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Jake has one sweet setup!

MrQuick
08-28-2009, 08:54 PM
Explain that please. Excuse me, does anyone speak Mainer?
Haa haaa, actually it Mainarian,
what he's tryin to say is that its not the best set up for a dedicated drag car and there are better set ups for drag cars. However this set up is the perfect balance needed for successful pro-touring performance minded vehicles. :idea:

Vegas69
08-28-2009, 10:58 PM
That sucker hauls the mail Jake. I think you're sand bagging on your hp.

hotrdblder
08-29-2009, 02:42 AM
That sucker hauls the mail Jake. I think you're sand bagging on your hp.
dead serious, its a ls1, with asa cam and a scavenge dry sump oil system. its a 2002 asa race car crate motor, listed as 430 hp, probably rwhp of 375-385.it has same radiator, wiring, ecu, etc. Believe me its only 430 hp. I have asa manual I will take pic.

Steve Chryssos
08-29-2009, 05:45 AM
Haa haaa, actually it Mainarian.....

Excuse me stewardess....I speak Jive.

I called and got a translation, I think. It's the relationship between anti-squat and tire selection. Pro-Touring cars are known for their short sidewall height which can limit available traction. While higher anti-squat percentages might look better on paper, the theoretical values can overpower the tires in the real world.

At least, that's how I understand it. :hmm: :screwy:

BRIAN
08-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Price anywhere?

93Polo
08-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Any plans to adapt this to an A-body? I know the 68-72s have a narrow tunnel but looks like that may fit.

The setup looks great under David's (Road Killer Customs) car.

dolf
08-30-2009, 06:34 AM
When can we expect a kit for all the 10/12 bolt guys? I want to run this but I have a perfectly good 12 bolt and don't really want to spend the extra on a 9 inch, axels, and 3rd member.

dhutton
08-30-2009, 07:06 AM
I'd like to see pics with an x-pipe installed.

BMR Tech
08-31-2009, 06:17 AM
When can we expect a kit for all the 10/12 bolt guys? I want to run this but I have a perfectly good 12 bolt and don't really want to spend the extra on a 9 inch, axels, and 3rd member.

Not trying to hijack the thread but since our name was mentioned, we have kits already available for the 10 and 12 bolt setups. Installation is fairly straightforward and you get to keep your existing rearend and brake setup.

Some features:

Bolt-in kits available for 10 bolt, 12 bolt, or 9"
No welding or cutting required
Complete adjustability - adjustable pinion angle, adjustable control arm length, adjustable anti-squat, adjustable roll center, adjustable ride height, double adjustable shock valving
Billet Watts link with internally fluted greasable Delrin bushings
Delrin-bushed billet front torque arm slider

The first generation F-body kits have been shipping since June and and we are releasing the kits for the second generation next week.

BMR Tech
08-31-2009, 06:26 AM
Any plans to adapt this to an A-body? I know the 68-72s have a narrow tunnel but looks like that may fit.

The setup looks great under David's (Road Killer Customs) car.

We have been kicking this idea around too. Would be a much simpler adaptation since the A-body already has a frame to design around....

XLexusTech
08-31-2009, 07:27 AM
ANy plans to change the mounting to accomidate Mini tubbed cars?

dolf
08-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Jakes car is mini tubbed

XLexusTech
08-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Jakes car is mini tubbed
Yes I know but the current version of the BMR torque arm does not support mini tubs.

dolf
09-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Come on Jake. Make a kit for the 10/12 bolt guys
!!

OHCbird
09-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I know Jake is going to give me shiite for this, but that ain't the worst thing in the world.

I've driven Steve's car with the torque arm, and it was flat & smooth from the get go. The combination of riding several times in Jake's 69 and driving Steve's car (thanks, BTW) sold me on the TA & Apex chassis. My car is currently under the knife @ JRS. If you've ever ridden with jake, you know several things:

1. He isn't afraid to beat the crap out of his products
2. He's a damn good driver
3. He knows Rte 37 very well
4. He can spot a 'Mass-hole' from 5000 yards

PS- He's not sandbagging on power. As stated, that's an ASA 5.7 engine with the dry sump and Jake's headers. It's just that he's sorted out the car for the power level it's making, instead of continuously chasing more and more power to make it faster. Honestly, that car will be scary quick with even a mild power upgrade.

OK, 'nutswinging' over.

Steve already beat me to it, but I stillcouldn't resist:

"Pardon me PT.com, I speak Main-ah..."
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/09/ispeakjive-1.jpg

BMR Tech
09-09-2009, 08:50 AM
ANy plans to change the mounting to accomidate Mini tubbed cars?

Our '69 test car is mini-tubbed and currently has 20x12 wheels with 335 tires. Our torque arm was built using this car as a testbed and everything clears perfectly. The car does have custom tubs (not DSE, basically the OE tub widened with a 2.5" band) so I am not 100% sure that the shock crossmember will clear the frame mods required when using the DSE setup. Basically, as long as the inner portion of the frame rails remains intact, the Torque arm kit should fit without any problems.
The shock crossmember references off the inner portion of the frame rails and bolts to the frame as shown in the image below. Some minor notches may be necessary to match the DSE frame notch but the modifications would be nothing more difficult then what was required to install the mini-tubs. Worse case scenario is that the outer mounting bracket would not be used and the shock crossmember would have to be welded in, which is already typical of most other kits on the market anyway...(NOTE - car in picture is not the test car and has stock wheel tubs)

JEFFTATE
09-30-2009, 06:05 AM
BTW ,
I drove Jake's Test Car at the Motor State Challenge.
It handles very flat and smooth.
It's one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.
It hooks !!!

And has tremendous grip !

I wish we could do a test and tune day and play around with some setups on these cars.

Jake's got one of the best systems on the market.
And the price is great too.

double d
11-24-2009, 07:19 AM
just wondering if anybody got to the drag strip with this set up yet ? if so, what are your impressions of the way it hooks up.i am thinkin of going with this setup . thanks dave d

XLexusTech
10-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Just realized how long I have been working on my junk... Anyway... Updates soon...

seekins
10-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Don't feel too bad. I ordered and paid for front and rear suspension from JRS going on 4 years. Just orderd max g from Morrison so I can move forward. Supposedly my JRS suspension is on its way...go figure, guess i will sell it..My project is under 3 years of boxes...

Look forward to seeing yours!