PDA

View Full Version : Stress Cracks?

steemin
03-31-2005, 07:44 AM
I have read that many 1st Gen. Camaros
(particularly those with higher horsepower engines) have stress cracks.
These appear at the top of the windshield posts and also sometimes
near the bottom corners of the rear window.

* How many of you have seen/experienced this problem and to what
degree is the damage?
* Will subframe connectors resolve this problem?
* Do the sfc need to be bolted in or must they be welded in?
Scott

Camaro_Kyle
03-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Camaros are notorious for getting stress cracks. My 68 has two, both at the lower corners of the side/rear-side windows. And it is not just high-horsepower cars. I have a fairly stock ZZ4. I have heard that subframe connectors will take care of it, and if they do, please save yourself and put them on. My car cracked two weeks after fresh paint. I just about cried. I took my chances of not using subframe connectors, and definitely paid the price. And the problem is, the cracks keep growing.
Kyle

ProdigyCustoms
03-31-2005, 05:47 PM
Welded frame connectors is your only chance at preventing those cracks if you lauch the car hard. My street racer leaves pretty damn hard and just today I was looking it over, and no cracks in 7 years. It does have welded connectors and a crossmember, also a cage. I assume you probably won't launch as hard as often, so the cage is probably no required.

RobM
03-31-2005, 08:32 PM
hey at least the cracks are there for a bad ass reason. and when people ask about them you just have to explain your cars powerfull enough to make them :3gears:

homerneedspeed
03-31-2005, 10:30 PM
on my 86 t/a i have 1 inch cracks at the back of the door on the roof from 350hp and no chassis stiffening

socalfandabodys
03-31-2005, 10:40 PM
I have only 2000 miles on my daily driven 68 chevelle with a 450 horse 475 tq mild built big block and it already has cracks at the top windshield post and on both back window corners :doh:

ProdigyCustoms
04-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Also, we remove all the factory lead, weld those seems solid, and all metal fill the seam.

inSANe DIEGO
04-04-2005, 09:54 AM
What's the best way to remove all that lead? I have a 67 Camaro.

ProdigyCustoms
04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, besides the health risk, grinding is a bit nasty. The best way is to heat it with a torch and melt it out. DO NOT let it drip into your shoes! of coarse, you will probably only do that once!

inSANe DIEGO
04-07-2005, 09:57 AM
That's what I thought. Just heat it until it's plyable and don't heat so much that it smokes. Right? Whoopie! Looking forward to that mess...

Thanks for the info.

B.T.W. If getting it into my shoes is anything like getting welding spatter in there, I already learned that lesson back in '91! :eek:

parsonsj
04-07-2005, 03:17 PM
DO NOT let it drip into your shoes! of coarse, you will probably only do that once!

I have an old shoe with a perfectly round hole in it. I used to have a sock that matched up with it. Ahh. Talk about a hot foot! That's a memory I won't forget.

jp

CoryM
04-07-2005, 03:57 PM
To add to the original topic, I have had cracks in my 80 camaro. Not from the engine, but from the new chassis forces after modding the suspension. First few days after changing everything on the car I was going around an on-ramp and heard a good POP! sound. My door striker had ripped out and I now also had a new 1/2" tear in my quarter panel in front of the back glass. I guess the new/different forces after 20+ yrs of stock soggy suspension with an old lady driving was a rude shock to the car.
Also when I had a low rear end in the car (4.56 with a 377ci and ST10 in front) I twisted the body past its yield point..... my dome light came on and stayed on unless the car sat over night and then as soon as I gassed it, the light would come one again. I had to unplug the bulb.

Moral of the story is get SFC before doing suspension mods!!! I was lucky in that my car was pretty beat up and a crack didn't matter, although the rattling door was annoying. Every time I welded it up it tore again and sat loose in the panel so I gave up. That is the nature of stress cracks, once they start you must stiffen the chassis or they will never go away.

TonyHuntimer
04-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Weld-in subframe connectors put a stop to the stress cracks in my car too.

If you are planning on spending good money on a paint job for your car built to handle the corners and put some power to the pavement, you may want to get subframe conectors first.

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Drewhelm
04-08-2005, 11:29 AM
My 350 two barrel 69 Bird had stress cracks at the lower rear corners of the side windows when I started with it. I welded the cracks and filled using all metal. Welded in subframe connectors, upgraded suspension, installed a hard hitting full manual TH400 and a healthy 455. No stress cracks so far in 2 years!

arue333
10-02-2009, 10:49 PM
What is better? Cutting the floor and welding in DSE frame conectors or Global West's subframe conectors. Or are they both the same?