PDA

View Full Version : Turning down axle flange

69HuggrrrPT
03-31-2005, 06:38 AM
I am about to install the Baer Touring setup on my 12 bolt. For those who have turned their axle's down to fit the rotor, how did you do it? Lathe or garage version(car in gear, grinder in hand)?lol

Does it have to be perfect or are the studs holding the rotor centered?

OOps move to brakes if needed

rocketrod
03-31-2005, 07:16 AM
I took mine to a machine shop and had them turned down for $13.75. The studs do keep the rotor centered, but considering the money and time invested I preferred to have the flanges machine.

dhardison
03-31-2005, 07:19 AM
For my TC rear discs I took my axles to a local machine shop. I had the flanges turned down ~1/8" and also had the center hubs turned down ~1/32". Other than time it cost me $20.

There's a decent amount of extra slop in the rotor holes for the studs, so the center hub has more to do with keeping everything centered in my opinion. I mic'd everything and had them turn down the center hub as little as possible. Just enough to get the rotor to slide over.

Dan

MarkM66
03-31-2005, 08:45 AM
As far as your garage method. If you have the brakes off the car, how are you going to stop the rear wheels if you put it in gear? Just jam it into park?

I have just used a angle grinder on mine. If you make sure you grind an equal amount all the way around. I don't think you'll ever get it out of balance enough to actually notice anything. Keep in mind, the diameter is much smaller then a wheel/tire, which needs a good balance. Not much material needs to be removed either.

zman1969
03-31-2005, 09:32 AM
I will always remember "Bubba" doing it on the car in the parking lot of his used tire shop in Mckinney Tx , sparks flying with a grinder on a 67 nova SS , man THAT WAS JUST WRONG! guess it worked for him, i wouldnt do it that way! :bsjerk:

kennyd
03-31-2005, 10:12 AM
markm66 , just turn off the key ! it will stop, then put it back in park .
i also dont recomend doing it that way, use a machine shop.

MarkM66
03-31-2005, 10:18 AM
just turn off the key ! it will stop, then put it back in park .

LOL, yeah, that'd be simple enough. Wasn't thinking. :doh: