PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Looking for someone near Lebanon, PA

markd
08-11-2009, 02:33 AM
I am looking for someone who lives near Lebanon, PA to stop by the body shop and observe the progress on my car. I would like to know if I am getting screwed or not. Well…I am pretty sure I am getting screwed…I just don’t know how badly!

My 69 Camaro has been at the body shop since January 2008 and I have paid them around $80k. That includes sandblasting the body, replacing full rear quarters, roof skin, DSE mini tubs, new door skin, new front sheetmetal, installing the Chassisworks front sub frame, g-link, FAB-9 rear, body work and they are currently painting the car.

I believe the guys are way out of their skill level and I am paying them to figure it out along the way.

Here are some of my concerns:

1. Quality of the paint – the pictures look good, but it’s hard to tell by the pictures.

2. Look at the rear wheels / tires. I believe the backspacing needs to be changed or the fenders rolled. Goal is not to have the wheels rub, especially when there is weight in the back. If I have to, I can go to a smaller tire size (315 instead of 335).

3. Look at the front wheels / tires (245). It looks like they are out to far and rub the fenders. The bodyshop is telling me that the Chassisworks front sub frame needs to be notched. Not sure why, since the frame was designed to support a 10 inch tires. They are also telling me that I might have to remove the inner fender wells.

4. The front Fesler 905 wheels do not fit over the Wilwood rotors and calipers. Wilwood says that the 14” rotors and 6 caliper pistons will fit with an 18” wheel.

6. I will check my records, but I believe I have paid them $80k since January 2008. Keep in mind that does not include the $28K I have spent on Fesler Billet parts, Chassisworks front subframe, g-link, FAB 9 rear, brakes, DSE stuff, gas tank, steering, wheels and tires.

I don’t know if $80k is norm for this stage of the build…that’s why I am looking for some help / advice.

I was also getting ready to buy the engine and transmission this week, but I now concerned about the body shop.

I don’t want the person to be confrontational with the body shop. I would like to have someone who is experienced with PT builds to take a look and give me their honest opinion. I would do it, but I am not schedule to come back to the States until sometime this Fall.

If you can help me out, just send me a PM and I will send you address.

Thanks for the help!

ProdigyCustoms
08-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Wish I was closer, I would be happy to look.

$80k for labor, you should be finished and then some.

markd
08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
Wish I was closer, I would be happy to look.

$80k for labor, you should be finished and then some.

Thanks Frank! I have learned some very hard / expensive lessons on this build.

I will be shooting you a PM…I need to order some parts

BonzoHansen
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
What is the name of the place? Feel free to use PM

notchbackgta
08-13-2009, 11:16 AM
It may be the guy my cousin worked for. PM me too

markd
08-13-2009, 11:23 AM
It may be the guy my cousin worked for. Bonzo and I keep saying we should go out there and look at someone elses car..... PM me too

Thanks guys! I will PM you the info

BonzoHansen
08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
That is a ~2hr hike from us. Let me see if we can run out there. But if anyone closer sees this jump in!

notchbackgta
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that is kind of a haul, if it were more north I could stop on the way to my grandparents.

qwik1320
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm about an hour away, send me a PM with the address. Any idea if they are open on Saturdays?

markd
08-14-2009, 02:12 AM
Thanks – PM sent!

I'm about an hour away, send me a PM with the address. Any idea if they are open on Saturdays?

qwik1320
08-14-2009, 05:26 AM
I just called them, I'll stop in tomorrow at 10am and check it out for you.