PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

estamato
08-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I have a 68 Camaro and wanted to get peoples opinion on where to start on the resto part of the build.

Currently the car has paint, drivetrain, interior and rust! So the idea is to get the car down to the shell and send it out to get blasted. Is there anything I am missing? Any tricks or gottcha's would be great.

Thanks.

C5DENNY69
08-30-2009, 10:23 AM
We start by completely disassembling the car down to bare shell. Remove everything untill there is nothing you can unbolt, including all wiring, clips & rubber plugs & grommets. Put the body shell on a rotisserie (if you can aquire or borrow one).

We then strip off all paint using air sanders from exterior of all panels that are solid enough that you are going to use them.
Including; doors, hood, deck lid, fenders, roof, qrt panels, header panel, cowl panel, lower valance,etc.

If we need to replace any welded in body panels (like a qrt panel, dash top panel, panel below rear window,etc) we will remove the panel before blasting so the inner structure behind it can be blasted the first time. Depending on how many panels you remove you could need to brace up the body before removing the panels to hold everything in place.

Take parts & body shell to sandblaster shop and have blasted inside & out. Do not have underside of roof, underside of hood or deck lid blasted due to risk of warpage.

When you get car back from sand blaster, blow & vac out sand & spray all sand blasted areas with epoxy primer to seal it up.

This is very generic but I hope this is of some help to you.

Denny Finn
Finns Auto Restoration & Custom
104 W. Main St.
Molalla Oregon, 97038
(503)829-8488 www.finnsautorestoration.com (http://www.finnsautorestoration.com)

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2009, 02:26 PM
How far are you going to go? If it is a full on restoration, then go to the bone. Just be warned, everything you remove take 3 to 4 times more time to reinstall! I have seen many people blow them apart and never get them back together.