PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie from Scottsdale AZ. Home of 2 Goodguys national events!!!!

donaz
08-06-2009, 04:45 PM
OK I got guilt tripped into doing an initial welcome post here before I start posting any technical questions I mave have later on down the road. No Problem.
Been over at NastyZ for a few years while I've been doing a rotisserie resto on a 71 Z28 RS 4spd that I've owned since 1980. It was a nice solid driver, red with white stripes, Cragars and T/A's, loud and proud that really deserved the Full Monty. Initially it was going all date code correct factory stock and then sell it at BJ (Barrett-Jackson)since I live practically right around the corner.All those dollar signs flying around at the sales was good motivation to get the car going and finished back to it's original chalk mark paint dab condition. But market conditions have changed.( I think the AZ auctions will be down again this next time around.) So my plans for the car have changed. I have no plans to sell it when it's finished. I figured why should I spend three years making this car the best it has ever been in the 29 years I've owned it just to sell it and let some other
guy enjoy it. Not going to happen!

I am building the car for my own enjoyment without cuttting on it or being able to return it to stock without it being too costly. So no mile high 4 wheeler stance or F60x15's anytime soon. Xnay the paint dabs and date coded single speaker AM radio also. I dropped it 2" with new springs added bigger bars, Bilsteins and 4 wheel discs. Picking out 18x8's and 9 1/2's as we speak. probably going to go with BFG KDW2's 245-45 and 285-40's. Have to be sure they fit because there is now way I'm going to cut or roll those quarters. Motor's a 355 with Comp hydraulic drive train and aluminum heads. Induction is all original restored Z-28 fare. Debating on a nice set of coated headers and a Pypes crossflow system with polished tailpipes or run my stock manifolds with a Gardner ($$) stock system. Love the look of stock chrome Z tailpipes even if they are puny. Hate twin mufflers hanging down on a Camaro. Interior is all original and perfect except for the soft surfaces which were replaced.Swapped the amp gauge for volts and the clock for oil pressure. Looks factory and sorely needed. In dash cd, hidden amp under the seat, new dash speakers and hefty 6x9's in the package tray. No room for restored spare which takes up half the trunk. Boo Hoo (yeah!)

Car should be done for show season which out here believe it or not starts in October. Decided to hang out here at this site also to see what tips I could pick up if I wanted to do an LS 6spd conversion with a/c. These are not fun to drive in 114' with not air. Would also like to replace the front seats with something a little more supportive.

Would like to post pictures (everyone loves looking at pictures, me included) but haven't done any yet on any forum because I'm an idiot. I don't want to go through the steps to do it and then have weak looking thumbnails or oversized photos rotated 90 degrees or some other crappy results posted.. I hate that.Every time I try to go high tech my computer bites me in the ---. Somebody show me how to post the nice mombo photos that stay up and I'm all over it.

All right that's it. It's cooled down to 108 so I can go back outside and get to work. Don

any feedback on the exhaust would be cool

Ralph LoGrasso
08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Welcome to the site. I'm not familiar with the Gardner system, but if you're building the car with performance in mind, I'd go with a set of coated headers and compatable exhaust.

bucks69
08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Welcome and that leaving it alone to return it to stock will probably go out the window after looking around on here.