PDA

View Full Version : Worm clamps for FI lines - what are the facts?

69LT1Nova
08-05-2009, 07:47 AM
What are the facts concerning using worm style clamps for fuel injection lines? Is there a max pressure for the worm clamps? I've always been taught that you don't want to use them because they cut into the line. Instead, you want to use the correct "rolled band" style of clamp that won't cut into the line under pressure. Example of the correct style on the left, incorrect on the right:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/clamp-1.jpg

This came up in another forum, and all the dumb rednecks on there insist that the worm clamps are perfectly safe to use under FI pressures... although I don't have any concrete evidence to point them to... I surfed the internet for a little while, and couldn't find specific pressure ratings for the small worm clamps...

Who knows the facts? Am I making a big deal out of this for nothing?

gkring
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
it is usually band style on imports, but I see plenty of worm gear factory installed on GM cars. Especially at the fuel pump connection at the tank. Granted they are usually double clamped. Correct fuel line and hose barb fittings go alot further for safety than a band clamp instead of the worm gear.

Fuelie Nova
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
This came up in another forum, and all the dumb rednecks

As a moderator of "that other site" I'll make sure all the others get a link to this post.

Tg

69LT1Nova
08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
As a moderator of "that other site" I'll make sure all the others get a link to this post.

Tg

LOL! :lol: You do that. Boy, I can't believe some of the Jerry-rigging and JB Weld/bondo loving rednecks on that site. :rotfl:

I guess some people like living life on the edge between cheap and stupid. At least it is good entertainment watching some barefoot yokel kluge together a car using duct tape and bailing wire.