PDA

View Full Version : Multiple amps, speakers, crossovers questions

BigBlockOlds
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a system that I'm trying to use which is namely made up of pieces that have been acquired over the years. I'm trying to figure out the best method for hooking them up and whether or not I have everything needed to or if I need more amps.

This is what I have:

Door speakers (per door)

(1) Pioneer GTO15T 1" tweeter (50w rms; 150w peak)
(1) MB Quart QM100 4" mid-bass (30-80w)
(1) JL Audio TR650-CWi 6.5" woofer (50w rms)
(1) MB Quart QM130 5.25" coaxial speaker (40-100w)
(1) 3-way passive crossover

Trunk:

(2) Kenwood KFC-W3011 12" subs (400w rms; 1200w peak)

Amps:

(2) JBL P80.2 80wx2 amps (160Wx1)
(1) JBL BP600.1 300Wx1 (600Wx1 bridged)

I think I'm okay with the amp sub and my two subs themselves but I'm not sure how to go about wiring the door speakers.

Can I bridge the two smaller amps so they are putting out 160w each and connect the 1" tweeter, 4" mid-bass and 6.5" woofer to it?
Which brings me to my next question. Do I add up all of the rms wattages for each speaker and that's how much power I should send to them? Or would I only want to send 80w to all of them? I didn't know if each speaker gets the total amount of watts supplied by the amp or if when you have multiple speakers hooked up, they split that power?

Thanks,

JamesJ
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
What X-Over do you have?

JamesJ
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
(1) JBL BP600.1 300Wx1 (600Wx1 bridged) does this amp have a built in X over, i assume it does... and does it have a RCA output on it? if so is it full range or is it after the X over?

JamesJ
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
What kind of car? You planning anythign in the back?

BigBlockOlds
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
This is a picture of the door panel mocked up in place:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/08/Doorpanel-1.jpg

Car is an '87 Olds Cutlass. I was going to see how these sound first and then if I need more imaging from the back, I could install an aftermarket set of 4x10's in the factory location. I'm leaving the front 3.5" dash speakers out for now.

The crossover is an MB Quart model that came with the speakers. I bought the panels and speakers as a kit off someone years and years ago.

JamesJ
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
If you have a "passive" x over then run the 2 channel amp for the doors, one channel per door, do you know how to wire the x over?

JBL BP600.1 300Wx1 (600Wx1 bridged) <-- you can not bridge a single channel amp, most likely you mean run it it at 2 ohms instead of 4,

Kenwood KFC-W3011 12" subs looks to be a single 4 ohm voice coil, so if you run them parallel then your amp will be at 2 ohm, most amps can do that just make sure, and keep it ventilated.

As for the coaxial, just use you head unit to power then or just dont worry about running them, unless you want to get another 2 channel amp, or you can sell the one you have and get a new 4 channel....

BigBlockOlds
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks.

I think I know how to wire the crossovers. Assuming its as straight forward as it looks on them. Each crossover has a -/+ speaker output for the tweeter, mid-bass and woofer individually and then one -/+ speaker input to the entire crossover.
So my assumption was that I just need to wire my speakers to their respective terminals on the crossover and then run a negative and positive speaker wire back to the respective amps channel. Is that correct?
If I run 80W to each door, would that be enough for the woofer, mid-bass and tweeter? They are all rated between 30-80w.

Sorry, yeah I just meant wiring it to see a 2ohm load instead of 4. The amps have the terminals marked on the side of them pretty nice on where you should connect for a 2ohm load.

Thanks for the help. Obviously I'll probably be making modifications to this after I get everything up and running but wanted an idea of how to wire it as it stands.

jackfrost
08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
or you could give it all to me and buy new stuff. :razz:

George
09-02-2009, 10:18 PM
You need to Tri-amp the in door subs, Mids, Tweets.

Use a powered 3 way crossover to split the front stereo channel into 3 signals. Each pair goes into its own amped pair. So 2x 4 channel amps can power the 3 front channels and 1x rear speakers.

Your mids/bass need way more gain than your tweets, this will enable you to dial it in properly.

JamesJ
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks.

I think I know how to wire the crossovers. Assuming its as straight forward as it looks on them. Each crossover has a -/+ speaker output for the tweeter, mid-bass and woofer individually and then one -/+ speaker input to the entire crossover.
So my assumption was that I just need to wire my speakers to their respective terminals on the crossover and then run a negative and positive speaker wire back to the respective amps channel. Is that correct?
If I run 80W to each door, would that be enough for the woofer, mid-bass and tweeter? They are all rated between 30-80w.

Yes, do that...