PDA

View Full Version : dynamat or R-blox

1badchevelle
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I am on a tight budget. I am finishing up my floors and want to put dynamat. I have seen the r-blox is a bit less expensive. Should I just pay for the dynamat. Has anyone here used r-blox? I wanted to run second skin but that is out of my budget at this time.

Thank you.

hhijleh
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
consider fatmat...good product, cheap compared to dyna....there is AMPLE info on dynamat alternatives on this site and through google....

1badchevelle
08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
anyone else?

akrapovic
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Try second skin. Just ordered some. I'm sure fatmat is great too. I just don't want to deal with the asphalt smell that is sometimes associated with their product.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/

Second Skin Rep
08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
My gosh..
Out of Dynamat Extreme, r-blox& Fatmat, Dynamat is the ONLY way to go.

The foil is 3 times as thick as R-blox and twice as thick as Fatmat.
You get 30% more adhesive by weight, compared to each and the adhesive on Dynamat is butyl and will not melt, where as the R-blox and fatmat is actually a gutter tape with an asphalt adhesive that will melt at 180 degrees (and is toxic)

Of of the choices you listed above, there is only one vibration damper, the others are roofing tape that looks like a vibration damper and is sold to the public under false pretenses.

As the owner of Second Skin I have a lot of worth while competition out there.
Cascade, Dynamat, Stinger, Hushmat etc. But Fatmat & R-blox are two of the only competitors out ther that I personally have no respect for.

Sorry to be such a bummer..

ANT

PS.. It will take slightly more that 2 layers of fatmat to get similar resuls as the Dynamat Extreme.
If you have a limited budget, maybe $150. Spend it all on a superior product, then spread that out evenly over the entire surface area of the sheet metal, focusing on the flatter areas. This will yield the same results as 100% coverage with an inferior product.

jocko124
08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
I just bought 36 ft2 of Dynamat off eBay for $135 delivered to Oregon.

1badchevelle
08-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Ant would you recommend using the damplifier lite on the hole car to cover 100% of the floor & doors? This looks to be your least expensive product and I would like to run your product as the pro is a bit much for my wallet at this time. What if any would be the downfall?

Turbo67camaro
08-05-2009, 09:21 PM
There is also RAAMmat which has provided a good value product.

jknight16
08-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Just thought I'd provide some reference for you guys, since my biggest stress was not knowing how much I would need to buy.

On my Camaro (Chevelle might need a bit more) I was able to cover the front driver and passenger floorboards (up to the vertical portion of the firewall), smaller rear driver and passenger floorboards, and front half of my transmission tunnel with 10 sheets of Damplifier Pro. Your priority areas may vary, but lots of my heat and noise came through the leg and foot area (as you would expect). I also used two sheets (2'x6' I believe) of second skin heat wave pro to cover those same areas plus a little more on the trans tunnel.

I was on a budget too so I wanted to hit the key heat and noise trouble areas on my car with the best product I could buy. I got a great deal through one of Ant's dealers.

Second Skin Rep
08-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Ant would you recommend using the damplifier lite on the hole car to cover 100% of the floor & doors? This looks to be your least expensive product and I would like to run your product as the pro is a bit much for my wallet at this time. What if any would be the downfall?

Damplifier Lite is a great produc tfor the money and the weight.
We developed it to compete agaist brands like Fatmat, Raammat and B-quiet. Somthing with a foil that is 50% thicker, with a better adhesive and coems in sheets rather than in rolls.
Compred to these brands it does an awesome job, but compared to our regular Damplifier and Damplifier Pro products it is much less of a performer.
With Damplifier Lite I do reccomend 100% coverage.
Products like Damplifier will only need about 50-60% coverage and Damplifier PRo can get away with 30% or so to get the same results.
Keep in mind though, if you go with 100% coverage of Damplifier or Damplifier Pro the results will be out of this world! Absolutelky amazing. On a budget though, or when only tryin to reduce the harmonics in the sheet metal you can use much less of a High quality product to get better resutls than full coverage of a low quality product.

Hope that helps!

There is also RAAMmat which has provided a good value product.

True. Raammat has a lot of happy customers that continue time and time again to purchase from Rick.

I just bought 36 ft2 of Dynamat off eBay for $135 delivered to Oregon.
Good price especially when shipping is thrown in to the mix. Dynamat Extreme is a great product. You shoul dbe very happy!

ANT

Smitty_67
08-06-2009, 09:11 AM
What would be nice, is a car specific kit. Perhaps good, better, best options. The kit should have all the right products and quantity needed to get the desired coverage and results.

Vegas69
08-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm happy with my Damplifier in my car. I used it on the floors along with the heat wave pro. If you are producing big horsepower that means big heat. Between the damplifier, heat wave, and carpet. My floors stay nice and cool and the car is fairly quiet.

killer67
01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Hushmat is the same thing as dynamat but cheaper

jocko124
01-27-2010, 05:36 AM
What would be nice, is a car specific kit. Perhaps good, better, best options. The kit should have all the right products and quantity needed to get the desired coverage and results.

Dynamat must have heard you. They are coming out with car specific kits!

hifi875
01-27-2010, 07:33 AM
dynamat extreme is the way to go. the other stuff is not the same.

crustysack
02-11-2010, 04:14 PM
if budget is a concern then I would try fatmat rattle trap extreme- I purchased 200 sq ft of this on ebay for about $320 shipped- it is 80mils thick and is super sticky-to buy the same amount of dynamat is over $1000, so far I have done the whole trunk, the roof, inside the doors, floor, firewall, rear passenger panel (where the windows goes) . I recommend using a heat gun to help get it into curves and I also bought a formica roller( $12 at home depot) because the little wood roller they give you is junk,( but you still need it for the small tight spots) also have a nice razor knife and a bunch of blades, the blades will gum up. Also a box of nitrile gloves just to keep your hands clean and dirt off the fatmat.I would heat the material up to make it more pliable. I still have about 50 sq ft left but I will double some areas up just to make the car that much more quiet. The difference in the sound of the panels is amazing, there is no "tinnyness" when tapping a panel, and when you shut the door there is a SOLID thunk. The car is a 65 GTO. Be prepared to spend a long time doing this, heating up the material and rolling out all the air is a tedious process but very much worth it

TnBlkC230WZ
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I'll put a word in for Second Skin. The Damplifier is excellent. Absolutly no heat comes through the floor or firewall. My doors all close with a thud. No rattles allowed.

6'9"Witha69
02-12-2010, 09:14 AM
And how about props for a vendor who respects his competition to the level Ant does.

wmhjr
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Another second skin customer here. I used Damplifier Pro everywhere. Pretty much 100% coverage. Then Luxury Liner Pro on the firewall, the floor and the trunk. Since I have a vert, along with poly body mount bushings, solid motor mounts, and a bottom filled pontiac standard block making close to 600hp, I wanted to do what I could to minimize the "bad" noise.

The Damplifier Pro was awesome to work with. No heat guns or anything other than the provided small roller and a single knife blade were required. It sticks - period. It easily applies and rolls. No issues in corners, crevices, angles or rounded areas. Not a single solitary corner of a single piece came loose.

The Luxury Liner Pro was also great to work with - you use spray adhesive for it.

For a convertible, the car feels "solid".

I've used Dynamat. I have a little Dynamet Extreme. Damplifier Pro is better. Fatmat isn't even remotely in the same league. My viewpoint is that you only want to apply this stuff once, so don't cut corners.

snackbar
02-22-2010, 09:41 PM
well said men! I am not familiar with second skin but he def. sounds like he knows his stuff. Fatmat is junk! Spend a little more and get the Dynamat or damplifier. You can find good deals out there on Dynamat for around 135.00 shipped. Don't waste your time on the others. You will regret it later

1badchevelle
02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I found the dynamat xtreme on egay for 109 and another for 115 ea new box. So not bad at all.

crustysack
02-23-2010, 03:50 AM
this is working for me https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/honey009-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/honey008-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2010/02/honey007-1.jpg
no smell, sticks great

Mr Nick
02-23-2010, 04:37 AM
And how about props for a vendor who respects his competition to the level Ant does.

Ditto, I received great customer service from ANT. He's up there on my list with Tobin at KORE3 and Marcus at SC&C.

Three excellent vendors that help take some of the purchasing stress out of this expensive hobby.

Z06killinSBF
02-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I have 20sq ft Damplifier and some Luxury Mat pro coming to me now. I just need to tear apart the back of my car as 12's cause some rattles and I'm trying to tone down the exhaust drone.

chavez o
02-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Save up for the second skin! It is second to none.

LoPro67
03-05-2010, 02:21 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Bought on Ebay 3ea 36 sqft boxes of Dynamat Extreme for less than $400 shipped and covered everything I could get my hands on. Would buy again in a second.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif (javascript://)

I just did a quick search and $136 shipped on Amazon. 50% off retail.
http://www.amazon.com/Dynamat-10455-Xtreme-Bulk-Sheets/dp/B00020CB2S

rrstroker71
03-06-2010, 05:46 AM
One word DYNAMAT. Tried the other and compared, there was no Comparison!

Z06killinSBF
03-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I've used both second skin and dynamat and will say that the second skin is a better product. It's thicker, more plyable, and sticks better. I will stay with second skin. Made a world of difference on my trunk lid, now I just need to lay down the luxury mat.

rrstroker71
03-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Use what you like. that is what I say, I just speak from what works best for me.

Cakeaholic
03-12-2010, 07:49 AM
who's got the best pricing on second skin?

wmhjr
03-13-2010, 06:02 AM
One word DYNAMAT. Tried the other and compared, there was no Comparison!

Can you try making a comparison? It would be good to have actual reasons for your preference. My experience was apparently different. 2nd Skin has a thicker gauge foil, I found the adhestive to be more effective, it was no more difficult to work with. I could find no advantage to Dynamat. What factors make you prefer Dynamat over 2nd Skin? Seriously curious.

61ragtop
03-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Another second skin customer here. I used Damplifier Pro everywhere. Pretty much 100% coverage. Then Luxury Liner Pro on the firewall, the floor and the trunk. Since I have a vert, along with poly body mount bushings, solid motor mounts, and a bottom filled pontiac standard block making close to 600hp, I wanted to do what I could to minimize the "bad" noise.

The Damplifier Pro was awesome to work with. No heat guns or anything other than the provided small roller and a single knife blade were required. It sticks - period. It easily applies and rolls. No issues in corners, crevices, angles or rounded areas. Not a single solitary corner of a single piece came loose.

The Luxury Liner Pro was also great to work with - you use spray adhesive for it.

For a convertible, the car feels "solid".

I've used Dynamat. I have a little Dynamat Extreme. Damplifier Pro is better. Fatmat isn't even remotely in the same league. My viewpoint is that you only want to apply this stuff once, so don't cut corners.

Did it tone down the exhaust droan at all? I have a 61 ragtop Impala with a 383ci sbc and 50 series flowmasters on it that can get to be a little much. I want to use some second skin products to take care of it and was wondering exactly what difference it made for you?

wmhjr
03-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I don't know yet. Motor has been run and on the dyno, but not in the car. Finishing up a few things. If I wanted, I could probably start it today but I'm doing a little final wiring things and haven't been in a hurry. I've been under a bunch of snow so weather will prevent driving the car around here for at least another 6-8 weeks. Car has never been driven with current components. All I know on this car is how the doors feel opening/closing, closing the trunk, etc. On another vehicle, Damplifier was installed at the same time as a new exhaust.

MarkM66
03-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Hushmat.

Z06killinSBF
03-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Did it tone down the exhaust droan at all? I have a 61 ragtop Impala with a 383ci sbc and 50 series flowmasters on it that can get to be a little much. I want to use some second skin products to take care of it and was wondering exactly what difference it made for you?On my car the biggest gain was from using the Luxury mat pro that they carry. It is a little too thick for my liking but made a huge difference. But this was laid on top of the Damplifier. The car is very quiet inside now.

Second Skin Rep
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow
glad to see so many people like our Damplifier Pro damping mats.

When it comes to the comparison with R-blox and Dynamat Extreme, the Dynamat will out perform the R-blox by a large margine.
In fact, from what we can tell, it would take a bit more than 2 layers of R-blox to get the same results from 1 layer of Dynamat Extreme.

Dynamat is actually designed to go in cars for vibration reduction.
R-blox is a product that is made by a company that makes roofing tape. It was not designed by the manufacturer to go in a car, which is why Dynamat is that much better.
Hope that helps!

ANT

68Formula
03-15-2010, 07:00 AM
Is second skin planning on coming out with pre-cut kits for 1st gen Fbodies?

TnBlkC230WZ
03-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Did it tone down the exhaust droan at all? I have a 61 ragtop Impala with a 383ci sbc and 50 series flowmasters on it that can get to be a little much. I want to use some second skin products to take care of it and was wondering exactly what difference it made for you?

I'm running 2.5 inch Flowmasters with an X pipe. I have one layer of regular Damplifier and and one layer of the thiner Overkill. both have 100% coverage. Even without the bottom part of the back seat in, there is no drone. You know the engine is alive when you step on it, but you can have a normal conversation and even use the phone when just cruising.

qwk406
05-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Just to add my.02... was in Lowe's the other day, needed some roofing stuff, saw the roof tape, looked it over and decided to punch a small hole in the plastic, took a whiff and put it right back down. The asphalt used STUNK! I can't imagne putting an asphalt based product in the car, what would it stink like in the heat of summer, don't want to breathe all those toxins in, might wind up growing an extra arm or something. They did however have a "butyl hybrid" tape, didn't smell but was very thin, hmmmmm.....

Lex
12-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi. I prepared the surface with POR15 then installed the Stinger "Expert Series" Roadkill. It cost me about $200 to cover most of the trunk, behind, under and the sides of the back seat. It is 4mil thick, cuts easy and is easy to install. I used a rubber roller and a razor knife. The material will definitely slice your skin open if you are not careful. I need to get another bulk pack to finish the trunk and the doors. Bulk pack is $120. I used the OEM rubber sound damping kit for under the front seats and front floor pan because I already had the kit and didn't feel like buying more Roadkill. The only thing I'm worried about is the OEM kit does not have an adhesive, it just lays on top of the metal. I tried to heat gun it but it didn't help. I hope it works out well, I didn't get to test it out yet. Thanks, Lex

armourmark
12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I used Edead sound deadener in a 65 chevelle and was happy with the results.