PDA

View Full Version : 3 point seat belts for a 70 camaro

redressonance
08-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I wanted to put some 3 point seat belts in my 2nd gen and was wondering what other people had done on theirs.

It wasn't until a couple of day's ago that I saw a 73 with a stock 3 point. I never knew that the seat belt was clipped to the headliner.

There seems to be a clip (1" box with a rod) in the headliner but didn't know if that was safely mounted to the car.

-Alonso

morrisclassic
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
We have 3-point retractable seat belts for your Camaro that bolt into the factory mounting points. There is two different types for these Camaros. If you have the deluxe interior you will need a special bracket. We have these in stock. Billy, Morris Classic Concepts.com

redressonance
08-04-2009, 12:34 AM
After reading my initial post I realize it sounded a bit confusing.

I meant that it wasn't until I saw another camaro that I realized that the chest strap was clipped on to the headliner by two small clips close to the A pillar.

As a separate idea I was wondering if the small box near the upper rear corner of the door window is an attach point for seat belts? and if after-market 3 point systems attached to this anchor or if they had to take apart the headliner and make a new attach point.

With that being said I believe I have a regular interior. I will check the cowl tag tomorrow and let you know.

NOT A TA
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
It sounds like someone replaced the headliner in your car and eliminated the original shoulder belts. They were a pain to use because they were not retractable and there was a separate buckle for them. They were also a pain to put back up in the clips that held the belt up to the headliner above the window. So they ended up hanging down by the c pillar by the mid 80's in most cars. If it's like my 70 Firebird the attachment point is behind the headliner. If you're not trying to "restore" the car to original the Morris belts are a great way to go and safer because you'll have a shoulder belt that will actually get used.

Zee
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Scrool though this thread on PY which details my install and may give you some leads to other options. Page 2 has some photos http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515219&highlight=morris

dcozzi
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
The attachment point is behind you in the roof, near the back corner of the side window. I went to the junkyard and snagged a pair of shoulder belts from an early 70's Chevelle. Fit like a champ and they were in dark green to boot!

I do not know about the clips to hang them from above the window. I just toss them behind me when I get out of the car. Too much of a pain to hang up every time. I have seen the clips in plastic as well as a chrome heavy guage wire type.

FYI, you may not like the way they feel. They take some getting used to especially if you drive a newer car with comfortable belts. They do not drape over your shoulder and almost touch your neck if you are not real tall (5'10") like me.

I have the deluxe interior.

novaderrik
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
i loved the factory 3 point belts in my 71 Nova- it was like getting strapped into a race car.

morrisclassic
08-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Morris Classic Concepts seat belts are designed to fit the specific car and year with stock interior. We can"t make brackets for all kinds of configerations such as the Corbeau seats that are in the car that is on the Performance Year link. Look at the other post that another person posted about our seat belts he didn"t have any problems even though he had Subaru seats in it. Thanks to Everyone for Purchasing our products. We also will work with you on a set of custom brackets like the ones described on Performance Years link.

Zee
08-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry Billy, As we discussed previously, I still dont know what my seats have to do with the clocking of the retractor. Infact, the original bracket would have worked. The problem was the clock position of the retractor. I have absolutely no problem with my seat clearance. My seats, my roll bar and your belts are in my car as we speak and they all co-exist perfectly. I commend you for your excellent service and many have used your belts without a problem. FWIW, you belts will fit with many aftermarket seats including Corbeau GTS II. My issue was in improperly clocked retractor and had absolutely nothing to do with either my seats or roll bar.

morrisclassic
08-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Zee I was only wanting others to know that our seat belts are designed to fit factory interior configurations. I appreciate you and everyone for buying our products, If the clocking is off on any model we make I need to fix them during assembly. We want our products to bolt directly in.
Another person posted they installed our seat belts with Subaru seats in their car without issues. You can change the clocking to some degree as the brackets have a torque value that is low enough so you can move them around. Billy

Zee
08-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks Billy, when I started to reclock them the plastic of the retractors started to bend and pop apart. You have a good product and prior to buying your belts, I talked to Les who owns the car with the Subaru seats and he was happy with them as well. I believe my issue was an isolated incident that you handled the best than anyone could have.

killer67
01-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I have MCC seatbelts and they are a perfect fit on deluxe interior