PDA

View Full Version : Best Wax??

Project Cortez
08-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Whats everyone using for wax/car care products?

TERMN8OR
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Zaino.....

T-CHRGD
08-02-2009, 11:38 AM
zaino.....

x2 :)

Roadbuster
08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
x2 :)

x3:twothumbs

John McIntire
08-02-2009, 05:11 PM
x4!

Vegas69
08-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I was going to try Zaino, now I have to.

Damn True
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Scrub your car with a brillo made from the beard of Chuck Norris.

caper150
08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Pledge.........Actually saw a guy do this at a parade last week.

Project Cortez
08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Pledge thats pretty scary!!

EL T1
08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
OTC - I use Meguiars professional products.
DACP Dual action cleaner polish for polishing
SFP Swirl free polish for quick clean before a wax
waxes i use #26 yellow wax or NXT

I also order from Clearkote. They have awesome glazes and waxes.
Carnuba moose wax
vanilla moose for a glaze < that combo will give the deepest black ive ever personally seen.

Oh and a porter cable polisher is a must for any do it yourselfer detailer.

Good luck what ever you choose.

Oh i forgot to add. There is no best.

daredvl22
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Zaino here as well.

Vegas69
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Just ordered some Zaino. Not the friendliest customer service I've ever experienced. It is based in Jersey.LOL

formula
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
I use Klasse All-In-One as a base coat, then for dark colors I use p21s as a top coat. I haven't quite figured out a favorite top coat for light colors.

I concur, though, A porter-cable is a must. Been saving up for one ever since I saw how well it worked. Better results and saves literally hours of time.

elitecustombody
08-27-2009, 07:43 PM
asking what's best wax is like asking what's the best mexican restaurant, there are too many choices and everyone has their own opinion

Vegas69
08-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Zaino gave me a great shine but seems to attract the dust in my opinion. Looks great after wiping it down though.

camaroguy
08-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Some old timer driving about a $ 150,000.00 1950 Ford Conv gave me a tip one time at a car show. His car was black, straight as an arrow, and probably about as perfect as possible.

He said all he will use is NuFinish, The Once a Year Car Polish.

I tried it and its cheap, easy to work with, and did a pretty good job.

PT Goat
08-28-2009, 12:40 PM
Zaino is great stuff but it's a lot of work. Especially the first application. It's so good I've had it actually bring out imperfections, it can almost magnify them sometimes.

Yelcamino
08-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Have any of you tried Adams Polishes (http://www.adamspolishes.com/)? This stuff seems to be pretty popular on the Digital Corvette forum.

676869addict
08-28-2009, 02:38 PM
my car was at nov good guys event in pleasanton ca the adams guy took my car to his booth and spent all day detailing my car it came out looking clean. i would suggest trying using adams

Yoda4561
08-28-2009, 03:08 PM
Some old timer driving about a $ 150,000.00 1950 Ford Conv gave me a tip one time at a car show. His car was black, straight as an arrow, and probably about as perfect as possible.

He said all he will use is NuFinish, The Once a Year Car Polish.

I tried it and its cheap, easy to work with, and did a pretty good job.

I'm a big fan of nufinish as a daily driver wax. As far as ease of application/removal and protection duration it's just as good as the more expensive stuff like liquid glass, and lasts longer than any carnuba I've used. Hard to beat for 5 bucks a bottle. I still wouldn't call it "once a year" unless you garage the car when it's not being driven. Here in florida it will bead nicely for a few months when parked in the elements. Still as easy as it was to use it's no big deal putting it on every week if you want. Not a deep shine for a show car by itself, but it makes a great base coat before a non-abrasive carnuba wax.

minendrews68
08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
I used a product about 20 years ago made by TORCO Oil co. The name of it was Powergloss. It came in a clear plastic bottle, looked like someone dumped the silt off the bottom of a lake in it. This Light brown "silt" looking stuff actually settled to the bottom. This was probably the best I've ever seen. It was a little hard to put on but worked really well. Has anyone else heard of this? It came out of California.
Carl

indyjps
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
3M imperial hand glaze for polish

Generally use Mothers for wax

IndyNova
08-30-2009, 05:23 PM
adam's polishes ftw!!!

EL T1
08-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Another vote for Adams polishes. Have seen some great results from those products.

JRouche
08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I agree, a Q like what is the best wax is way open ended. There is prolly millions spent by the chemical industry to show you their wax is the best. That Q will never be answered. It all comes down to what works best for YOU. No such thing as the best. But what a guy likes, usually for ease of use is gonna be on top of the bunch. Millions of dollars spent on research. But that still doesnt make a better wax for YOU..

People dont wax their cars, cause its a pain. And Im not talking about the show, drive cars, those folks love to wax their cars. But for a daily driver, one that sees some driving and a guy just wants to make washing it easier any of the waxes are good.

Its funny, I saw a guy many years ago use nothing but turtle wax. His car was looking good. It was white, and the thing looked great. And when he washed it nothing stuck. But he waxed it prolly every other wash. But it was like glass. I dont think it was due to the wax, but more because he was on the thing every weekend.

I dont know. But I really dont think its what product you use, but how often you use it. Car wax is a superficial coating. As much as the manufactures want to lead you to believe their product is long lasting its not. Plain and simple. It doesnt soak in to the paint.

One wax doesnt adhere to the painted surface any better than their competitor. As much as they want you to believe. Specially with the modern clear coats. So Ill say the clear coats dont get waxed, they shed the wax, IMO you dont wax a clear coat for looks, all about making it easier to wash.

So for single stage paint jobs, where they are looking for the clear coat solution, or better, its all about attention to the paint. Maintenance. Thats why we came up with the clear coat, two stage paint. Cuts down on the maintenance that a single stage needs.

So for a single stage paint job IMO any of the non-abrasive waxes are equal... Cause they all need constant attention. The more attention you give to your paint job, as in washing and waxing the better it will look. Single stage paint jobs. Clear coated painted cars can take more neglect.

But the clear will still need some attention. It will cloud with debris. It clouds because of neglect. Debris build up, not washing it enough, or a failure in the clear, which is common among certain manufactures.

Ok, so of the waxes Ive used. I liked the Wax Shop stuff I got many years ago. It was heavy in solvents, but laid down thin and really had some good protection. I have just a lil bit left, in a glass jar cause the plastic bottle got mangled.

My FIL gave me a large container of "Vitreo" polymeric shield. Um, I dont know anything about the company or the stuff. He is a Kustom car guy, you know, mega dollar cars and paint jobs. So he was trying to turn me onto the stuff he uses. Not what I needed. But I tried it. I like it. Goes on thin, easy to remove. Dries to a dust, not gummy.

Then there is the carnauba waxes. I tried the 100% carnauba waxes. I like them. They go on thin, sometimes a bear to remove.

Then the common waxes, turtle wax type waxes. Some lil abrasives in the mix to clean the paint. Goes on thicker than say carnauba, all the abrasives I imagine. Just as difficult to remove as carnauba, they all stick pretty tight. But, Im not a fan of using them too much, too much abrasives. Good for once and awhile. To clean the paint.

I like mothers products, I have a bunch on hand. But they confuse the issue. They make so many products I wounder where to start, or where to end. But I like their stuff.

Bottom line for me. Spend some time on the paint if you want the show look. Thats how the show cars keep their looks. Start with a nice paint job and keep it up with maintenance. Wax is a tool, not a means for a good looking paint job. Keep the abrasives out and wash yer paint on a regular schedule.... Apply wax to make cleaning it easier.. JR

2 lane blacktop
08-31-2009, 05:58 PM
I have detailed everything from my neigbors Dodge Omni to top show cars for years and am a firm believer in the 3M line, Dewalt variable speed buffer, Waffle pads. I don't use wax because of the build up but if at a show may hit it with maguires detail spray.

2yellow69
08-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Griot's makes great detailing products. Not just waxes, almost everything!
griotsgarage.com

George
09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Klasse AIO and Gloss Sealant, great stuff take your time

Also like NXT and #26 with a PC7424

ProTouring442
09-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Really, the question as to which wax is the best misses a lot of the true discussion. The best wax is the one you will actually use. However, the wax is just the icing on the cake, if you are a lousy baker, the best icing in the world is wasted, and if you don't take car of your paint, the best wax in the world is junk.

Wash your car often. Use two buckets for the best results, and use good quality towels that are dedicated to the job of washing your car.

Use a clay bar on your car often. This keeps contaminates out of the paint, and makes a big difference in the look.

Use a good paint cleaner to strip any remaining wax from the paint before applying new wax.

Use a good fill & glaze. This helps cover any fine imperfections in the paint.

Wax! Use a good wax and you will be happy. It doesn't have to be one of those $8,000 waxes! A product like Mother's Pure Carnauba is a good choice, but there are many others out there.

In between details, use a good spray wax to keep the car looking good and protected.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

MonzaRacer
09-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I wash in shade, use good grease cutter, still like Dawn as it gets Indiana road grime off, add a half a gallon of washer fluid to SOAPY hot wash water, use a good wash mitt or sponge thet you can keep clean,and rinse, rinse,rinse with cool water. then blow it out, wipe out jams and shammy it good with clean shammy. I agree on claybar system at least once a year, and then my 2 big favorites are Mother California Gold and the Meguiars Gold Class. Oh and Meguiars just got bought by 3M if I remember correctly.

JRouche
09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Use a clay bar on your car often. This keeps contaminates out of the paint, and makes a big difference in the look.

This along with you other statements is super info.

Clay bar. I tried one years ago, wasnt cheap, like 25 bucks, so I wanted it to work. I followed all the instructions, so I thought. But it didnt seem to do a damm thing. I was let down.

But.... The problem wasnt the clay bar, it was my usage and the fact that the paint was SHOT. I was trying to turn a pigs ear into a nice wallet when in actuality I wasnt even working with something as nice as a pigs ear. I was working with a burlap sack trying to make a wallet.

So then years later, prolly four years ago I bought a 95 honda. The paint was rough to the touch, even after a good washing and machine polishing. So I decided to go for the clay again. New bar, same manufacture (mothers I think). And I made sure to do exactly as they described. Some online forum searches helped too. Knead the bar a bit, get it soft then flatten it out to a nice palm sized piece, about 3/8" thick. Use lots of lubricant. I used the mothers stuff but when the lil bottle ran out a spray bottle with clean water works just as well. The key is lots of water, keep the paint wet and slippery. So the pancake of clay just glides over the car body. Doesnt take any pressure. The clay will grab ALL the lil bits of embedded trash off the paint.

Holy cow!!! I was surprised. The paint felt like a smooth piece of glass after that. Totally smooth. It changed my mind on the clay bar.

A decent waxing after that and regular care for the paint with washing and a wax every so often has kept the paint smooth and easy to clean.

I think even a new car, off the lot can use a clay bar treatment. Bug turds, bits of organic and inorganic trash sets on the new cars in the lot.

Anyway, want a glassy smooth paint surface, clay it. JR

malibu9in
09-18-2009, 05:42 PM
ill chime in here on this one. I like wolfgangs fuzion. it's a awesome wax that adds ALOT of depth. It's got to be one of the top 5. Poorboys products are VERY good. they add alot of durability to a good preped finish. Search poorboys and see what you find. hth

K5Cruiser
09-18-2009, 08:32 PM
ProTouring442 had some really good points, alot of which I follow with my washing, polishing, waxing routine.

I've recently become introduced and instructed in the use of Prima Car Care products http://www.primacarcare.com/ I've been very happy with the results of these products, especially in the removal of swirls from paint, especially seen in dark colored vehicles.

I also use a Porter Cable which makes the job that much easier, and the results that much better.

mc84_zz4
09-19-2009, 12:09 AM
I am another one that give an enthusiastic thumbs up for GriotsGarage.com.
I have been using their clay bar since 1994, when it was hard to find clay bars on the market
I have accumulated both their orbitals and all of their products are great, BUT the best part is they are all 100% money back guarantee, no bull.
They believe in customers for life, and they want to earn it too, best customer service I have received.

Firckn
09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
I never post on here but get good advice from everyone. I figure since I own a mobile detail business I chime in. We use Tropi-Care. They sponsor forums like lsitech They have everything for detailing and they offer products in gallon sizes as well. Their process is simple.
I used to use Zaino but it was to time consuming and expensive. Just my 2 cents!

g/a-body
09-19-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.griotsgarage.com/ great car care products and customer service.