PDA

View Full Version : 3 piece wheel cost - is it worth it for a street only car??

scherp69
08-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I keep looking at the all the 3 piece wheels, especially when Frank keeps posting that he has a sale on Forgelines. The thing I'm trying to debate though is if the cost of 3 piece wheels would be worth it for a car that will be 99% of the time driven on the streets. I'm leaning towards getting a set of Billet Specialties (likely the Fast Lane) as they have a 17x11 for under $400. I can get tires and wheels for under $2200. I've also looked at the DriverzInc's new Splitter wheel and for a package they are about $500 more for the tires I want. I want to build this car right this time, but am wondering if the extra cost would be worth it. I know the wheels are lighter and easier to change backspacing down the road, but once I have them right, I can't see myself changing them. What do you guys think. Is it worth the extra cost and why?? Thanks in advance.

Boesch
08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
That's a decision that you have to make yourself. 3 piece wheels offer a lot more options for going to wider widths. If you're willing to go with a stepped lip, then you can get a 17x11, otherwise a 17x10 is the widest 2 piece hoop that's made. Anything wider than that is custom built and costs more money. At the end of the day it's your car and your budget. If you drool over three piece wheels and really want a set, then I'd suggest saving up to buy a set. If you don't think it will matter much and you can get the width you want, then I'd suggest going with 2 piece.

If there are any of our styles you like just let me know and I can get you a quote. We also offer our three piece styles as a two piece wheel for those who are after the look but don't want the cost.

Dustin

camaro2nv
08-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I dont care what anyone says, wheels make the car! Take a new car and take off the stocks and but some aftermarket wheels on and see how it changes it. So for me I buy the best wheel I can afford. I max out the wheel well with width and over all size. To do that I need three piece wheels.

DriverzInc
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I have an ongoing personal debate with 3 piece wheels, and what I come up with is always the same, if you need exotic sizes, then price wise, 3 piece can make sense, only if that is the style you are after.

If you are after a clean, classic, traditional looking muscle car design, then the NewGen you are looking at is what you want.

If you want a 3piece looking wheel with two piece pricing, then Rushforth is the option.

This is what I tell all my customers... Picture yourself 6 months from now (or when your car is finished) and when you walk out to your garage and see your car, what wheels do you really want to see on your car then? That is the wheel to buy now. Anything else is a waste of money.

Do not get caught up in keeping up the Jones' and the idea that a more expensive wheel is a better a wheel, but get what you want. That, then, is the right wheel FOR YOU. That is why when customers call me for a certain wheel, I don't sweet talk them out that wheel if it is truly what they want. If there is a reason why that wheel won't work, then of course I say that, but I don't turn a Rushforth order into a Forgeline order for the sake of making more bones. That is just not right.

Nine Ball
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Wheels and stance are THE two most important visual aspect of a car. How much are the visuals worth to you? Only you can decide.

Personally, I prefer 2-piece wheels for my own cars unless max width or half-inch width increments dictate a 3-piece wheel.