PDA

View Full Version : floor pan question

lowboy
03-29-2005, 03:07 PM
The floor pan in my 69 camaro is in pretty good shape, it just has some minor pitting. I'm considering simply using por15 on the whole floor pan and underneath as well and just being done with it. Does this sound reasonable?

69 Camaro w/completely welded subframe (seams), DSE subframe connectors, DSE firewall smooth panel, 10 pt. cage. Now doing bodywork.

ProdigyCustoms
03-29-2005, 03:38 PM
I once had a 36 gallon Suburban fuel tank that developed a tiny rust hole right in the lower most corner. I talked to POR, they told me to put a piece of masking tape over the pin hole and brush the tank (removed and upside down) with POR. We kept the Suburban 6 more years, no leaky. Anymore questions?
Is it the right way to fix it? No!
Will it work? Yes!

Travis B
03-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Is it the right way to fix it? No!
Will it work? Yes!

I'm with him!!

homerneedspeed
03-29-2005, 08:43 PM
por 15 is some good stuff but be careful not to get it on your skin or it will be on you for at least a week no matter how hard you scrub.

ProdigyCustoms
03-29-2005, 08:52 PM
por 15 is some good stuff but be careful not to get it on your skin or it will be on you for at least a week no matter how hard you scrub.

I found out from POR, You have to shed it off. I had no idea we shed skin so often, but we do. More useless trivia information.

lowboy
03-29-2005, 09:31 PM
This car is being built to be a runner. It's going to be a good looking car yet it's not going to be a show car. I just can't see patching in new metal for very few and minor pitting. I'm thinking that if I wire brush the pits and get the rust out then por the pan, it would be good to go. That being said, the prior threads "is it the right way to do it, no!, will it work? yes!" is bugging the crap out of me and got me thinking that maybe I'll just patch in some new metal so it won't bug me ANYMORE! Anyways, thanks for the feedback guys.

Jim Nilsen
03-30-2005, 12:33 AM
If there aren't any holes you can make any thin spot a little thicker and fill in the pits with POR Putty which is A/B epoxy. If you don't want to worry about the seams on the patch haunting you you will still want to use the POR to seal it on the inside for sure so that in case it ever gets water inside it will never have a problem.

Jim Nilsen

Rick Dorion
03-30-2005, 04:49 AM
You said minor pitting, not pin holes so I wouldn't worry about 'right way/wrong way'. Rust Bullet is good too. If it's truly minor pitting, clean it up, put a coating on it and move on.

lowboy
03-30-2005, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the advice..