PDA

View Full Version : LED Marker Lights

captcrash
07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
I have a 69 Camaro that I am building. I am doing some mild customizing and I really want to fill in the front side marker lights. I just think that the body flows so well, and then there is a big chrome bezel that takes away from a well done car. However this will be a street driven car and for safety reasons, I think that the side marker lights are a good idea. Has anyone tried to use LED lights as marker lights? I have found some that were pretty small, and I could recess them right under the "eyebrow" (body line), on the front fender behind the front tire. I think that this would be hidden enough to not detract from the car, but it would still be visable at night. I am concerned about them being too bright without using a lens, and also I do not know about the heat that they put out, and how well they would hold up in the rain.

Also, I think that the rear marker lights blend in well enough to the rear bumper that they are not as noticable, but I would try and find a way to make them match the front. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

justasquid
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Have you considered making the current ones a flush mount? I was considering doing away with the bezels too. I thought of welding a stud to the inside of the fender, mount the light to the inside so it sits flush with the opening. I've seen others that have actually changed the shape of the opening too, elipse ones look pretty good. but it all depends on how much metal work you want to do.

as for the leds. they are very low heat low draw. The diode is completely encased in resin and has no chance of it being affected by the elements. the only thing you will really have to worry about is the connections. but as along as they are sealed, they should be fine.

however, what ever led's you get, try to get ones that have a 140 deg. or higher field of view. A lot of them are only 10-20 degs. what that means is the only time you can really see the light emitted is when you are head onto the led. For a side marker, you want a large field of view. 180 deg's would be better, but 140 would more than likely be good enough. as for being too bright, they will probably be ok, but you can sand the resin down a bit with 1000 grit sand paper. this will give the led a frosted appearance and cut down the light output considerably.

FULMNTE
07-31-2009, 06:26 AM
I replaced the side markers with www.visibolt.com
Also available with dual brightness for the turn signal side marker...

Riderz Cycle
07-31-2009, 07:40 AM
I have used them in bikes before and they look great i was thinking the same lines for my 69 Camaro. I used a company out of California call Hi-Tech LED Product. they make both single and dual for turn signals and brakes as well as running with different color options....He is just an idea of how I used them. Left eye blinks for left turn and right for right and they both light up for brakes....