PDA

View Full Version : Updates to my Nova

DLinson
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
It's been a while since I've chimed in here. This past winter I removed the engine from my Nova so I could fix an oil starvation issue, have it dyno tuned, build some inner fenders to keep out the crud, and a few other misc. items.

I picked up my inner fenders from my friend Saturday, he painted them for me. I got them in and everything is looking better. I added a few pics of before and after. I made them from flat sheetmetal, lots of beating, bending, rolling, shrinking, and stretching. I still find that part almost as much fun as driving the car. It will be nice to be able to drive the car without having spend hours cleaning the engine bay after.

I still haven't driven the car since I have to get a friend to help put the hood on it. I downloaded the new program in my ECM last night and it fired right up, that's good.

I had the engine tuned on a bench dyno out of the car. The numbers were not what I was hoping for but it will have to do. I'm not changing anything in that engine. The first thing he told me when I showed up to get the engine was the heads I bought were junk. They are GM performance oval port aluminum heads with the 2.25 intake and 1.88 exhaust valves. Oh well too late to change that. It made 520 HP at 6000 rpm and 500 ft-lbs of torque. He had to stop tuning due to the large amounts of oil spraying out of the back of the intake manifold. Bummer. It blue out the RTV sealant. That was another reason for the dyno tuning is to have him find all of the oil leaks, and there were plenty. So once I got it home I went over the engine and replaced the guilty gaskets and used some Loctite 5900 sealant on everything, the engine tuner suggested that. The tuner and his brother actually run a boat business building high end racing boats. My engine was pretty mundain for them. Oil leaks are bad in boats so I figure he should know what sealent to use.

I made a few other items like steel radiator hoses and a new tranny mount. So hopefully I'll get to drive the car this weekend.

Dennis

TonyHuntimer
07-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Dennis,

I love the inner fender wells and radiator hose piping. Awesome!

parsonsj
07-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Dennis,

Lovely work, as usual. I was thinking how much room your design leaves under the hood, and how uncrowded your master cylinders look. I really really like how it came out.

Maybe I'll re-do mine one of these days. My master cylinders kind of poke through the inner fender, and the clutch master is in a little tray underneath.

I don't see any fasteners... how are they kept in place?

I got a kick out of you needing a friend to R&R your hood. Of all the things I did on mine, I'm most proud of my hood hinge setup. Two pins and the hood comes off. Once aligned, it never needs it again. My 75 lb. 12 year old son and I have taken the hood off and on many times.

You need to get into the heat shrink hose clamps. That'll get rid of those stainless steel ones, and blend right in with your new radiator tube.

Thanks for sharing!

jp

DLinson
07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys.

I had my wife help me install the hood this evening. She helped me install the engine and transmission. I worked the hoist and she was inside the engine bay guiding in the big block and 6-speed. She helped me numerous times before during fabrication. Just a little more anxious with everything painted.

A guy at work said the same thing about the hose clamps. I may get some someday but I'd rather drive it now than drain the fluid again just to get rid of some hose clamps.

I was thinking about going to the RTTH but I'd have to go solo and haven't made any arangements yet. Anyone have some room?

Later,
Dennis

parsonsj
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Dennis,

I'll be there. I've already got two snorers (I mean roommates) in my room.

Hope you can make it... I've never seen your car in person.

jp

1971CHEVELLE
07-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Awesome car

MarkM66
07-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Looks good Dennis.

What cubic inch is that engine? Those numbers don't sound to bad to me.

jackfrost
07-30-2009, 09:37 AM
It's never too late to change stuff up! :razz:

I was wondering if you could go into some more detail on how you built the inner fenders? do you have pics of the process?

DLinson
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
John,
I forgot to answer the fastener question. All of the fasteners are on the tire side of the fender wells. I'll have to take a few pics of that someday.

Mark,
The engine is a 427 BBC bored .070 over, 4.32 bore x 3.76 stroke. GM performance alu. heads, Comp Cams XR280 solid roller cam, .656/.665 lift and 242/248 duration at .050. Magnum roller rockers, 10:1 compression floaing pistons, full windage tray, Accell DFI Superam intake using the DFI dual sync distributor. I also port matched the heads to the intake and headers and I also blended the ports, valve guides, and polished the runners.

Jack,
I have lots of build pics. I'll see if I can get them put on my web page at www.et-motorsports.cc (http://www.et-motorsports.cc). There is a link on there to my car build. I have two other documents in there for modifying fenders and bumpers and making the spoiler. I'll see if I can add some pics later today.

Thanks,
Dennis